VSM and Black Enhancement

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael Young, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Michael Young

Michael Young Stunt Coordinator

I've pretty much figure out all I could about basic Calibration. I've never been sure on a few things. I own both DVE and avia.
    I have a Mitsubishi rear Projector 48' TV. All of these settings are on my TV.

Shall I turn off VSM Sharpness?
    Should I turn Black Enhancement Off?
    Should the Sharpness be all the way down?

I use a Denon 910 DVD player.
    I have HD cable Box.
    And an Xbox, all component. will all those settings be the same for each input. sharpness/VSM/Enchancement?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

VSM goes off ... no one likes artificial edging.
    Sharpness should be set at the point where it does not add edge ringing to the image. Could be at 0 or 50 or 100% ... you have to figure out where that point is.

Regards

3. Michael Young

How do I accomplish this?
    I know listening to all of the info on DVE, it basically says turn sharpness off when using component video signals. Also using their test I can't tell if the sharpness bar does anything.
    On Avia its a different story as I can see difference using their test pattern.

How About black enhancement? I seem to have trouble finding the correct black level on my Mitsubishi TV. Using DVE I have to calibrate using all 3 of the brightness patters. the colorbar and brightness pattern. The black bars show up good on the all black pattern, on the white pattern I can't see the dark bars and then the color bars show it better. I just try to find a medium there. Im not sure if the black enhancement setting is messing with this or not.

4. Michael Young

Here I am again hoping to Calibrate tonight, But without answers....

I cannot find any mention of Black enhancement when searching all the forums.

Anyone know another forum where I might find answers???

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

A resolution chart is also great for determining the optimal sharpness setting. Look at the center cross hair ... and pump up the sharpness ... and look at the white glow that shows up next to the black crosshair. White glow bad ... make it go away ... without making the image too soft ...

It's that simple.

The term black enhancement varies from set to set. Put up the brightness test patterns with the pluge and set it to BH ... and see what happens. If you still see the 2% above black bar ... then you are good to go.

Regards

6. Michael Young

Turning off VSM helped a great ton. Having VSM on is like typing in BOLD instead of normal font.

As for black enhancement, I turned it off, the only settings I have is on or off, not sure what BH means. Also with it on or off, I can't see much of any difference with the varying test patterns on DVE.

Also the sharpness setting seems best at 100% with VSM off when calibrating using DVE. Maybe tonight I will see what avia's shows. Their brightness patterns sure seem different. I can get the white to show through on the avia disk, not so with DVE.