What's new

VR3 vs Paradigm Studio 60 (1 Viewer)

Peter f

Stunt Coordinator
Hello!

Well, after much thought, its time to upgade my fronts. Looking for some help from those who might have demo'd my final two choices.

Boston Acoustics VR3
Listened to these vs the Def Tech 7004 and to be honest the BA sounded (and looked :) ) better to me.
Cost$799.00 PR

Paradigm Studio 60's
Have not listened to them yet but plan to as soon as i find a local dealer near me :frowning: , but going on reviews here and elsewhere i think i need to at least give then a listen. I am expecting these to be a bit more money (MSRP $1500 range??) but i will spend the extra money if they are indeed worth it.

Driven by Yamaha RX-V795A
Outlaw M2200 Mono blocks

any opionions welcome. I have tested just about every brand i could find locally and the BA's sounded the best to me FOR THE MONEY (799.00 hard to pass up)

Tested
Def tech 7004
Martin logan
Klipsch RF-5
Polk LS115CH
Sapphire ST211

Jacob C

Second Unit
I haven't heard the VR3 but I auditioned the Studio 40's and Studio 60's. I personally like the 40's more and they are cheaper. Also, IMO, the both studio speakers were WAY better than the defTechs. Hope that helps a little.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
If you are already running a Sub and don't use your front 2 for a lot of Stereo only listening, then I would also pick the 40's over the 60's (which I did :) ). The 40's are probably the best bang for your buck in the Studio v3 lineup. Get the dealer to throw in the stands if you can.

I have not heard the Boston's either.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I have the Studio 40s too...

IMO you need to step up to the VRM Bostons to compete with the Paradigm Studio series. I like the Boston VR series a lot, but I don't feel they can resolve as much detail as the Studios. Also, I like the tweeter on the Studios better too. The VRs have a warmer sound that you might like. I find the VRM series and the Studios are similar in many ways.

IMO I feel the Studios especially the 20s offer more bang for the buck than the Bostons. However, the Bostons are a decent value and are very, very good speakers.

Best advice is go listen to both.

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
You definately need to listen for yourself. I, and many other that I have read about, find the VR series better than the VRM series.
I also prefer the VR2 and VR3 over the Paradigm Studio 40 and 60 hands down. I dont find the tweeter warm at all, I find it much more accurate that the Paradigm studio series.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
You may find this comparison of the 40s vs VR3s I did helpful:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6481340

Wow, I disagree with everything you just said lol. The VR series has a better tweeter than the VR-M...the VR-M line is outdated. I found the VR3s to be WAY more detailed and clear than the 40s - the 40s sound muffled and boxy in comparison. The VR3s also had a much larger sound stage to them. If you prefer the 40s, more power to you, but to say the VRs would be warm in comparison to the 40s is just way off the mark.

I have to question if the VRs you listened to are perhaps the older models like the 975. If you have compared the newer ones, like the VR3, to the Paradigm Studios, I can't fathom how two people could interpret the same sounds so differently.

Believe me, I'm not trying to come off as rude or argumentative or anything like that - not at all, and I apologize if it seems that way. I realize different people hear things differently, but the differences between the 40s and VR3s are quite large, and your comments are, in my opinion, a complete 180 of what I heard.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I recommend listening and drawing your own conclusions. People prefer different aspects of a speaker. It's personal choice. The terms that are used to describe sounds are also very subjective. I find it most helpful to see measurements and hear people describe their sound. Other than that, it's all one big opinion.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Agreed. Everybody will hear and interpret things differently. For reference though, did you listen to the new VR models or the older ones?

mackie

Supporting Actor
It's been a year or so since I listened to the Bostons, so I'm not sure if they were the latest and greatest.

The setup wasn't that great either which can account for differences.

Where I was referring to the similarities between Boston and Paradigm was in the midrange. To me, they both sounded neutral or natural. The VRM's tweeter sounded a little tinny to me, but it wasn't bad by any stretch.

Peter f

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, i read your long and EXTENSIVE post on the other forum. Are you still happy with the VR3's? I found a local dealer that has a pair (new) for $699.00...cant seem to pass that deal up so i think i will be buying them tonight

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Yes, I'm very happy with them.....I'd be even happier if I got them for $700 new though - that's a heck of a deal. That's almost half of the MSRP. Maybe I should swing by NH, because I could only get my dealer to match the Magnolia price. At $700 a pair, I could see myself with a 5 VR3 set up.

If I were you though, I'd listen to and compare them against some other speakers first - who is to say my tastes in sound quality will reflect yours?

Peter f

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I gave the Bostons another listen and given that price, i just could not say no :)

brought the wife this time and even she agreed these were too good a deal to pass up...

Steve, they still have about 20 pairs left...all the cherry wood though...I got the last pair of blacks.

thanks all for your input...I am sure there are other speakers out there that sound better to some others, but I really loved the sound of the VR3's and saving a few hundred bucks was key (since i am still reeling from my 60" SXRD purchase last month) i am very happy with my decision and look forward to setting these up and breaking them in this weekend.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Glad to hear you are happy. To me, these speakers just do so much more right than anything else I listened to. But man, $700, I'm in the wrong state :D

Did you compare them to anything else? Any impressions that stand out over the others?

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I own both the Paradigm Studio 40's and Studio 60's and think they both sound great. I will agree though that 40's sound a little better. By better, I mean more accurate although the diferences are subtle vice dramatic IMO. In my set-up I actually have the Studio 40's up front and the 60's placed in the rear performing surround sound duty. Admittedly it does look rather odd but that's how my system sounds it's best. If I could go back and re-purchase everything I think I would opt for the Studio 40's all the way around and invest the savings in a better sub woofer.

I've never liked the Definitive Technology sound, and I haven't heard the Boston Accoustics you mentioned.

Greg

Peter f

Stunt Coordinator
I compared them to the list of speakers in the first post. Similar to what you did...I listened to them side by side when possible. I brought in my own sample material (DTS Demo #9 and a mix CD) I had the salesperson "cue up" all the speakers I was interested in and did a blind test...He would play one track on one brand...then move to another set. I stood at a resonable distance away..eyes closed and back to the speakers. Would make notes on each track. I had no pre-conceived notions the first time i did this...i was open to any and all brands available for me to test. Was looking for the best sound to my ears for the money (under 1500.00) The bostons came out the best overall, which if i had to bet before i did the test I would not have picked the Bostons as being my top choice.

Anyway...I am happy with my purchase and with the money i saved, I might upgrade the surrounds now as well. Currently i am using a set of Klipsch synergy bookshelves. I listened to the Boston VRX last night and really liked those. The same place has them on sale for $399.00.

I would have really loved to have listened to the Paradigms, but finding a local dealer to demo these proved insanly difficult. Seemed the local dealers in my area did not have any in stock to listen to or were listed as dealers but merely offer the line...heard lots of "well, we can order them for you". might be a low GM line for these guys...i dont know. But from what i have read, looks like the Studio 40's might have been something to consider and having speakers on stands was nixed by the wife anyway.

thanks again for everyones input and help

now about those VRX's....

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Sorry, didn't even catch that list of speakers you listened to at the beginning. What Martin Logans did you compare them to? That was a brand I wanted to listen to (even though I didn't want to spend that much) but didn't get a chance to.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
I've recently (approx. a month ago) purchased a pair of VR3s and have been quite pleased with their performance, both musically and HT-wise.

That is a heck of a price. I purchased my refurbished (though they look brand new) from OneCall for a little more than $700 with shipping and I thought that was a steal.

I would definitely have to agree with Steve on the VR3's sonic characteristics. These most definitely would not be considered "warm" (IMHO). If anything they their high range is more accurate than others in this relative price range ($1,000-1,500), but certainly do not exhibit warm characteristics.

I myself considered the Paradigm Studio 40s & 60s, but ran into the same problem demo'ing them... -TD

Peter f

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, I dont remember the model # of the 'Logans, I can tell you Magnolia was asking about $900.00 per speaker and they sounded really good...out of my price range though. Was kind of curious to hear what they sounded like...but honestly...the Bostons still held thier ground. If i had to pick a difference, the Logans were quite a bit warmer and more pleasing at ear bleed decibles (which i never do anyway) but still worth a listen.

Yes, I thought 700.00 was a smoking deal, I would have gladly paid the $1250.00 regualr price for these and I still would have been happy. They had a set of VM-90 there for 1700 a pair...just too much dough and i did not dare listen to them

Tom, do you have the VRX surrounds as well?

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Peter - I think you might be pleasantly surprised if you AB'd the VR-M90s against the VR3s. VR3s have a bigger cabinet and a better tweeter, so you gain a little more at both ends.

Was that $700 price from Magnolia or from a dealer?

Peter f

Stunt Coordinator
700.00 was from a dealer. His web advertised $1250.00 per pair but when i called he told me he would discount that quite a bit if i came down (its a 40 minute ride over to him). Magnolia wanted $495.00 per speaker.

I have heard that elsewhere about the VR-M90's..

I any case i am very pleased with my purchase and thats all that matters

still considering going back for the VRX's at 399.00 a pair

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks