What's new

VR discussion: Oculus Rift, Vive, Morpheus and more! (3 Viewers)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
PS VR reviews (games and hardware) started to hit today. Overall, the reviews seem generally positive with caveats. Reading into things more and looking at some of the videos/livestreams, the most common issues are obvious ones (can't track your hands/controllers when they're behind you and blocked by the camera) or less obvious ones (camera has trouble tracking headset/controllers if your room lighting is disrupting it). But once the problem is identified and remedied, often by dimming the lights, the experience seems to be pretty great.

The game reviews are a bit all over the place but seem to cover every genre and appeal to fans of each. Personally looking forward to Batman, Job Simulator, and VR Worlds, holding out on anything more than that.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've got one on order. Seems very single point of space focused. I like that. Others will bitch that they can't move around like you can via Vive / Room Scale.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
A coworker is debating cancelling his preorder (he hasn't yet, will decide by the 11th, when Amazon charges/ships) because Giant Bomb had trouble with the headset during their live stream of them playing all the games. I think that's a weird thing to do because, frankly, the GB guys seemed to be kind of technologically clueless about the whole thing and also a little grumpy, like they were in a bad mood because they didn't know what was going on. Other live streams (like GameSpot) or reviews said the headset worked perfectly fine and the only wobbly parts had to do with the move controllers being picked up by the camera. And even that didn't seem like a huge issue.

Personally, I don't see the value in room-scale VR unless it's wireless and safe. And even then, how many people want to, on a regular enough basis to justify that much money invested, utilize it? People got bored of Wii and Kinect because they didn't want to stand up for every game they played, so I think a seated experience, at least for now, is the best approach.

I also noticed a handful of reviews calling out the games for looking more cartoony and less realistic, probably due to the power of the PS4 to render something great while doing VR. Honestly, that doesn't matter much to me. Some of the best games, movies, etc. are not super-realistic (whether in visuals, fidelity, subject matter, or anything else) so I don't think the best experiences will necessarily be the ones that are the most real or gritty or whatever. This is entertainment and fun, so I think people will have a blast with it regardless of whether or not Batman and the Joker look like actual real people in VR or not.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's not like this is a limited release collectors item. There's no harm in not being an early adopter, trying it out before buying.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Oh I definitely agree. I guess more context about my coworker is needed. He has a PS4, is considering upgrading to a PS4 Pro, but the one GB issue with the headset tracking turned him from Day 1 PS VR purchase to considering cancelling the preorder and buying a souped-up PC and an HTC Vive. A $400 purchase may turn into a $1500+ one because he wants to avoid motion sickness induced by shaky headset tracking...even though the cases of it are in the extreme minority.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If he's concerned about motion sickness, seems like he should spend time demo'ing both systems before spending $400 or $1400 on either one :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
That's his plan with PS VR once it comes out, if he's decided to wait on it. He has a handful of friends who are definitely getting it.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I didn't pre-order the PSVR, but I am definitely planning on picking it up when it's available. I don't know if you can just walk into a Best Buy on launch day and pick one up, but it kind of seems that way.

Plenty to get me excited about, I'm looking at getting

Batman Arkham VR
Battlezone
The Playroom VR
Playstation VR Worlds
Rez Infinite
Driveclub VR
Tomb Raider Croft Mansion
Super Stardust Ultra VR

all eventually as my budget allows. Driveclub is the one I'm most excited about, as it is the single title that made me want to get VR in the first place.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's all relative. Compared to most PC chassis it's tiny. Smallest commercial kit I have seen with a 1080. PS4 isn't nearly in the same league as a 1080 (nor is PS4 Pro). Also doesn't do room scale VR. 4.5 Tflops for the PS4 and 9 for the 1080.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My PSVR is here, probably won't get to play till this weekend. Have had a second shipped, hoping supply is really limited and they go to $1k on ebay, otherwise will return to BB.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I know that the supply is going to be constrained, but I have a feeling that we're so early in the holiday shopping season with plenty of time for them to replenish that the eBay market won't be going for too much of an inflated price. But we'll see.

I'm waiting for mine to get delivered from Amazon today. I'll swing by BB on my way home and pick up a few games. I preordered VR Worlds (Amazon Prime 20% off, so it was only $32) and plan on getting Batman at BB with some coupons/credit I have. I'll probably get Job Simulator soon and Thumper, but not sure beyond that. Don't want to blow a ton of cash on games that I may not have time to play.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Walked into Best Buy yesterday morning and picked up the PS VR bundle. No line. Had plenty available. But I think they were sold out by last night.

Took about 20 minutes to hook up. Lots of wires.

Tried it right away. The key I believe is finding the sweet spot so the headset fits snugly and comfortable on your head ( and over your glasses if you wear them like me)

Amazing! I wasn't sure what to expect but I was floored. The sense of immersion is complete. I tried a bunch of the demos on the disc included and also a few of the VR worlds games. The Underwater Odyssey was great. The Shark was terrifying.

Also liked the Until Dawn on the rails demo...creepy and exciting. Also tried a few others which were ok like the Luge and some of the music ones.

I wish the resolution was higher and there was a way to focus better but like I said..once you find the sweet spot it's pretty much all good.

So overall on a 1-10 scale I would give the PlayStation VR experience an 8.

YMMV[emoji16]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks