What's new

VR discussion: Oculus Rift, Vive, Morpheus and more! (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PS4 has its own stereoscopic camera that came out at launch. I don't think many games use it but it can be useful for non-gaming stuff. It has a mic and can do some voice commands, it can identify players by their face and the controller they're holding (the color of the lightbar), and it has 2 cameras so it can read depth. The PS VR stuff will require the camera and the headset has glowing LEDs because of that.

I don't think any PS4 games use the Move controllers. I'm wondering if they'll update the controllers and re-release them alongside the PS VR or just use the same ones and start pushing them again...which is similar to what Nintendo did with the Wii Remote + when the Wii U came out. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony releases some sort of all-in-one PS VR starter kit with the headset, camera, and Move controllers packed together.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I would love to see a PS4 game that uses motion controls just like Heavy Rain did, but in service of a story that isn't offensively bad. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sony previously said the PS VR will be priced like a new platform, which everyone has been reading as $400-500. I imagine it will probably be like $400 by itself and then have a $500 bundle that comes with the camera and controllers.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
PS VR is $400 and comes out this October.

I was hoping for lower and sooner but I'm completely satisfied with this and look forward to it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The presale is only for the $500 bundle (PS VR headset package plus a camera, 2 Move controllers, and a game). The PS VR headset by itself ($400, no camera, controllers, or game) is going to be available for preorder later.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I'm definitely interested in the PSVR, but have concerns that it just may not work in my setup. I have a front projection setup, and the PS4 is behind and to the left of me. The screen is roughly 15+ feet in front of me and takes up the entire wall, so I have no idea how the PS Camera could be hooked up and work properly in that environment.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Technically, it doesn't matter where you or the camera are. You just need to be sitting about 6-7 feet in front of it. You might be able to get by with putting the camera lower than the screen. There are also extension cables for the wire if you need those.

You don't need the screen while you're playing a game. The PS4 UI should show up in the VR headset, I believe. So you could leave the screen off.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
PS VR preorders went live. Amazon sold out in minutes. Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and GameStop also have/had them.

I have a camera and a Move controller already, picking up another Move for cheap on Amazon. So I'll aim for the core bundle next week. Only bummer is that it doesn't come with the PS VR Worlds game, which would probably be nice to have. But I'm guessing it will be out at launch for like $20.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Shoulda gotten the bundle and sold off your old accessories, better value.

Amazon was indeed a shit show. I got an early order in at Bestbuy. We'll see. BB sucks in that they charge your CC immediately.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I've had and enjoyed my accessories already, so I don't really see enough value in the effort of selling off the extra ones. I'm also generally frugal, so I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on this one game (unless the reviews are terrible or it's way too expensive). Aside from MGSV, I don't know the last time I spent more than $20-30 on a game.

A coworker and I were debating if we should try to sell of our accessories right now and buy the bundle, but we opted to wait for the core one next week. I already have a bunch of stuff I want to unload on eBay and I'm too lazy to do that, what makes me think I'd be any quicker with this stuff?

I also want to get a better idea of what games will be out at launch and how good they are. Honestly, I'm really looking forward to trying "Keep Calm and Nobody Explodes" mainly because I could play it with friends.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Got my consumer Oculus. Don't have a fast enough video card or USB3 ports for it. Second problem solved, waiting for Pascal announcement next week before I buy a new card.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The reviews of the hardware seem to be generally positive. The only complaint I've really seen is that the unit puts pressure on the front of your face that becomes annoying after a while and some people wish the motion controller was available already. But otherwise everyone seems to really enjoy the tech.

But the games seem underwhelming. I think Kotaku's review is the one that pointed out how only 2 or 3 of the games are good and the rest are only interesting because they're in VR. Lucky's Tale was given as an example where it's neat to look around levels in VR and see what's coming up, but the game itself was nothing special. Honestly, I'm not that surprised. The first wave of games will be more like tech demos or proofs-of-concept instead of full-fledged experiences. But that's how the Wii and Kinect were. Umm...did we ever get a full-fledged experience that took advantage of either of those two things' unique abilities, though?

Whatever, I'm still going to try and get PS VR when it comes out. I am debating asking the wife/family to get it for me for Christmas or my birthday (mid October) and then getting games when they're cheaper but I'll probably still try to get an Amazon preorder today.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Wii had a few titles like Real Heroes: Firefighter that took advantage of the Wiimote. And I thought Heavy Rain made fantastic use of the Move controller, albeit in service of a very stupid storyline.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Never played Heavy Rain with the Move. I got the game right when it came out (preordered, even!) and played it before Move functionality was added. I was also a bit bitter that they stopped work on the DLC content past the first episode in order to incorporate Move, so I didn't bother.

Sidenote: got my PS VR preorder in at Amazon today. Ordered a new PS Move controller last week on Amazon for $24, so now I have everything that I need. It's going to be a long 7 months.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The motion controls are so integral to the fun of Heavy Rain that I scratch my head just thinking about playing it as a simple QT adventure. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Got my consumer Oculus. Don't have a fast enough video card or USB3 ports for it. Second problem solved, waiting for Pascal announcement next week before I buy a new card.

So... Pascal was NOT announced this week. So I have an Oculus with no video card to play it on. Well, HAD no. Today I bit the bullet and bought a 980 TI and the recommended USB3 add in card. If Pascal launches this year I'll take a small loss on the 680 TI trade out or put it into a SFF for VR on the go. =p

My plan was to pass on Vive this year and see how Vive vs Oculus vs PSVR shook out.

And then I saw this.

and the Tested review:

And now I'm waiting on MY Vive to arrive. Expensive day!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks