What's new

VR discussion: Oculus Rift, Vive, Morpheus and more! (2 Viewers)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm really enjoying Sony VR. I can't believe I waited this long, but it is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. The sense of immersion, and depth perception are freaking fantastic. I think 10 or 20 years from now VR will be the norm, and it will be so real, its scary.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Ok, look, Beat Saber seems like a really cool game, but what are the songs? I don't care how neat the mechanics are because it's only as good as the song selection, which I've seen no real info about. Are the originals by the developers? Licensed from famous artists? Underground techno bands that nobody has heard of?

I know on PC there's a huge custom song community but that will undoubtedly be completely absent on PS4.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ No mods for PSVR! I have never heard any of the Beat Saber songs before, so I'm guessing at this point they're "custom made" for the PSVR game (or at least licensed for peanuts from essential unknowns). New songs will be $10/10.

Not my type of game. I like to game to relax. I prefer my VR to resemble reality when doable, so that would require lots of loafing in my case...I don't suppose they have a virtual-sleep game yet?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
^ No mods for PSVR! I have never heard any of the Beat Saber songs before, so I'm guessing at this point they're "custom made" for the PSVR game (or at least licensed for peanuts from essential unknowns). New songs will be $10/10.

Not my type of game. I like to game to relax. I prefer my VR to resemble reality when doable, so that would require lots of loafing in my case...I don't suppose they have a virtual-sleep game yet?

Vacation Simulator coming soon!

From the makers of Job Simulator,should be great.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Vacation Simulator is a good idea, just the concept of it, whatever the game does. (I assume you must sit down while playing it, unlike JS, otherwise what were they thinking?) One of the things I found a bit odd for PSVR (specifically) is just how few "experience" simulators there are. You'd think there might be a lot more of these, for activities most people aren't able to do, or for places most people can't get to (e.g. climb Everest in VR). Even having VR tourist guides to places could be cool, I know there are already some of those but I haven't seen/played any on the PS4.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Ok, look, Beat Saber seems like a really cool game, but what are the songs? I don't care how neat the mechanics are because it's only as good as the song selection, which I've seen no real info about. Are the originals by the developers? Licensed from famous artists? Underground techno bands that nobody has heard of?

I know on PC there's a huge custom song community but that will undoubtedly be completely absent on PS4.

There are 16 songs included with the base game, and they are a mix of in house developed music and underground techno bands that nobody has heard of. That being said, all 16 are absolutely fantastic and go extremely well with the game. They're not just dumpy little songs you would think of when you think of in house developed.

There are plans right now to release at least 30 more songs via dlc.

The game is awesome and absolutely deserves all the rave reviews it's getting. It's in my top 3 VR games for sure.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Don't need the bundle, but I have...convinced...myself I need both those games. Contrary to what I said before... :) I know Borderlands 2, so I can interpret the demo videos better than usually, and I'm getting pulled in... And Beat Saber, the user videos actually do make it seem like fun... [edit: just found out it's confirmed BL2 VR won't have any of the existing DLCs included, and that's what I wanted to play in VR...also for others the bundle doesn't have hard copies of the games, they are DLs.]

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So I've had my Quest for 2 days now.

61022309_10214627538741769_1679924355582132224_n.jpg

It's soooo much better than anything that has come before it. Night and day.

If my math is correct the Oculus Quest is my 8th VR headset. It’s the first I’m not embarrassed to let non tech geeks explore. You could go broke investing in tech I’ve been excited about, but I genuinely believe this is THE ONE that will go mainstream in a big way.

For reference, I spent 20 minutes rave dancing with an androgynous robot and I was giggling the whole time. I DO NOT dance.

The tech is ready for prime time and the games are too! I haven’t even played any of the apps I paid for. The free built in demos are that compelling!

No wires and you can see the room you are in while the headset are the biggest game changers. The image quality and great built in speakers are icing on top..

60609757_10214623252954627_5291164589277315072_n.jpg
\\

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, considering how long VR has been on the market now...I still think that price is too high for wide adoption. People who already own VR setups are probably unlikely to replace what they have with this and those who don't own one at all are probably looking for these features in a cheaper package. I also think VR will have trouble going mainstream because it's essentially a single-player experience. Sure, you can play online with people, but not in the same room like a traditional gaming system.

I see VR being a regular part of gaming and tech going forward, but never taking off on it's own too far.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Actually, at this stage I'd say people are tired of new VR hardware. The marketplace is fractured, unprofitable, and has surprisingly little interest for the majority of gamers. [At least, *I* am continually surprised at how little interest people in the 25-35 y.o. demo seem to have for this. I thought they'd be prime adopters. Some have mentioned cost, but they still have little interest.] It's the software that needs work, and good software will draw people. Speaking from my perspective: we always choose the software first, then acquire the hardware that will run it best. We don't care about the hardware, at all, as long as it can be serviced, the U.S. gov't. allows us to have it, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks