What's new

VR-7080 vs. AVR-230 (1 Viewer)

Russ_M

Auditioning
I've got a Kenwood VR-7080 and my friend just bought a H/K AVR-230 and he's trying to tell me that just because his is H/K that is so much better. I'm just curious if anyone else has an opinion on what is the better buy of these two similarily priced recievers. Thanks for any input.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Best way to tell is do a comparison. That said, the 6050, 6060, and 6070 (models one year prior to the 70x0 series) had very strong amp sections (S&V tested the 6070 at 92wpc w/ all channels driven) and were a great value when they were closed out. The 70x0 series, however, underwent some slight change that made it test somewhere in the 30wpc range by S&V, probably the addition of some sort of current limiting circuit to help protect the power supply. Either way, it's still a solid receiver. I have a 6060 in my bedroom system and think it's great. HK does, however, make great receivers as well.

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
I dont think just because its a HK its better necessarily. I own HK & wouldnt own Kenwood - but thats a personal preference.

I have a AVR230 for a secondary theater in the living room and can honestly say I am truly impressed with all the features & connections as well as the sound & power. Its ALOT more receiver than you could buy 2-3 years ago last time I looked for a AV Receiver. I spent alot more and got basically a bit less last go round.

If the Kenwood is even close to the AVR230 in features & true power - then I wouldnt even worry about from your perspective. If that is the case - you got a very fine AVR and thats all that matters - not necessarily which is "better"....Because they are ALL better than what was available 2-3 years ago at the same price point you just paid....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks