VR 509 volume (remote) works "sometimes"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulShady, Nov 29, 2002.

1. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

Hi, I have a weird problem that I hope someone can help me with. I have a Knewood VR-509 not quite a year old now. About 2 weeks ago, the Volume and power from the remote control stopped operating the receiver intermitingly. It will work for about 10 minutes, then stop working for anywhere from 5 min to and hour. I tried two different remotes, fresh batteries, turning the power on the receiver off manually, but nothing seems to work.

The remotes are attempted from 3 feet to 15 feet in front of the receiver, so I know its not out of range or anything. The UP and DOWN channel still works on my cable box and Sat. receiver and all functions on the TV itself still work, so I know I've narrowed it down to the VR-509 itself.

Anyone with a similar problem? Please help.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

hmm it might be the reciveing transistor or whatever the technical name is for it ... i assume the power and volume on the reciver itself work? if so then there is something wrong with ither that RF reciver thing or maybe it just needs to be cleaned .... i dunno i had that problem with my TV but i tossed it and got a new one it might just be the little RF reciver thing they go bad after a while especialy when used alot ... ever wonder why ur remote suddenly stops working after a few months to a few years?

3. John_Williams

John_Williams Auditioning

I have a Kenwood VR-409, and I had this same problem last year. What you need to do first is reset the chips in the receiver and the remote to factory defaults. Check your manuals, but I believe that the remote requires holding down a combination of buttons at the same time. Both methods are outlined in the troubleshooting section of the manual. If either of those fixes the problem, that is great.
    My problem eventually moved to the remote not running any base receiver functions at all. It will run anything else (DVD, etc.), just not volume, listening modes, etc. If this happens, then you will need to have it worked on. Mine was still under warranty, so I just had to take it to an authorized service center. Kenwood's website has a very good support section, which makes it easy to find a service center in your area[​IMG]
    Hope this helped, and good luck!

4. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

Yes all controls on the reciever work fine.
    I did the Receiver reset, which consisted of holding down the receivers power button while plugging in the receiver into the power outlet. This seems to "help" the problem, as the remote seems to work more often than it did. However, it still doesn't work all the time.
    I don't think the remote is the problem, due to using both the factory remote and my universal remote. (RCA 8-1)

I emailed Kenwood tech support from their website two weeks ago, but have not received a reply yet. (I also called yesterday but they were closed.)

I will see if the receiver is still under warranty, (Less than 1 year old.)

This is very frustrating.

Thanks for your replies,
    Paul

5. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    What did you end up doing? I ask because my VR-507 is doing the same thing.

6. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

I called tech support and there was nothing they could tell me to do, Other than send it in for repair. He said the IR "eye" or whatever in the receiver was defective.

I then switched to the remote that came with the receiver and began using the RF remote option and that works, but extremely an inconvenience!

So, I will probably send it in for a repair after the holidays. (2 year warranty is nice).

Good luck,
    Paul