Vpl-hs20

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Cliff Smith, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Cliff Smith

Cliff Smith Extra

Would the VPL-HS20 be a good choice for DVD watching.

2. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

Very.

I was in a nice viewing room at my local AV shop, and the HS20 looked great side-by-side on an approx 120" screen next to a HS3. My budget dictated the HS3, but the HS20 was really impressive - no screen-door-effect to mention, just really good. Plus it has the HDMI all-in-one digital interface, so if you have HDMI equiped sources the pic signal should be perfect - at the very least less cables going into it.

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

jonty:

the hs3 also has an hdmi input. that's how i have mine connected to my denon dvd-5900 (using a dvi to hdmi adapter of course).

kevin t

4. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

Yep - the HS3 also has HDMI, which was definitely a plus for me. I picked up a Toshiba SD5960 DVD player to take advantage of it. I see on the AVS forum that everyone seems to loathe the SD5960, but I'm an optimist, so we'll see how it all works out. I also ordered a 15ft HDMI cable from Pacific Cable for $42 plus shipping, which wasn't too bad. I'm sure they'll come down in price, but who can wait?

How are you finding the HS3? I just got it this week and don't have my screen yet. I also have to figure out my mounting solution, probably from the ceiling. Anyway, the upshot is that so far I haven't been able to do anything other than check that it is actually projecting an image. It's driving me crazy. The only concern I had with it at the store was the screen door situation, but that looked like it would be ok from my viewing position, (+/- 12ft).

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Great for dvd. If you can get an HDef signal to it, either now or with the upcoming HDDVD, then you will be pleased.

6. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i'm enjoying my hs3. granted, it's not the best picture in the world, but it's nice. i'm getting an avia dvd in the mail soon so hopefully things will only improve after calibration. my room is a tad too small for the projector (i sit about 10ft. back) so occasionally on very bright scenes the image looks pixelated (due to the lcd technology). of course, i'm just projecting the image on my wall (though it's painted ghost gray). black levels looks acceptable to me. they don't appear to be dark gray...just black. i have it ceiling mounted and use the hv flip option. the fan is noticeable during silent parts of movies but i usually just tune it out.

kevin t