VOYAGER: Why others sorrow is my happiness ;)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Holadem, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

My #1 TV show of all time is Babylon 5 - which therefore also makes it my #1 SF show ever. Now, I have never been a fan of Star Trek. That universe has never engaged me the way B5 does. I could care less about the politics of the Federation, the Klingon, Vulcans etc... Which is why I actually like Voyager. Most of the show is far away from regular ST universe which I hate so much. It takes the background of the previous shows and does something totally new with it and at least I don't have to hear about Cardassian (sp?) and those morons with the big ears etc...
    So the very thing that makes most of you hate Voyager makes me like it! How do you like them apples? [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem

2. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Glad to know I'm not the only one!
    Me too I liked the aspect that dealt with the relationships of the people and stuff, not just the sci-fi aspect of it...
    My 2 all time favorites were the one where the ship lands crashed on an icy planet and that sending messages through time saved them. And the one where this girl convinces chakotay(sp?) that they were in love before he was zapped with a weapon than made him forget, and then once she succeeds she gets zapped too and he tries to convince her but fails, what a sad ending!
    I hope the Season DVDs come out soon, because I will buy them all!

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think that the show has to be taken into context to be enjoyed. The whole point of it was that they were so far from the federation, so being so far from the politics and all makes sense. Remove that aspect, and its just another ST show.
    I liked Voyager.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It wasn't Voyager's distance from the "known" Trek universe of Klingons, Romulans, and Cardassians that made us hate the show; it was the godawful writing, stilted performances (no ensemble cast, that one), and utterly unimaginative premises that did the trick.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Holadem,
    I'm a fan of each Star Trek series, and I like Voyager. I think it takes more heat than it deserves. Like all series, there were some great episodes and some lousy ones. Through it all, though, I liked the characters. Harry, Tom and B'Elanna were fun together, and if the Doctor was overused, it's only because people responded well to him. Robert Picardo is a blast to watch.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I love the Captain Proton episodes, otherwise, it's just background noise to me
    Jeff Kleist

7. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

Holadem,
    Your favourite show is B5, with all its politics, detailed backstory, and long-term story arcs, but you like the "reset-button" Voyager?
    To each their own! [​IMG]
    If you like B5 though, have you ever checked out Deep Space Nine? It's the Star Trek that comes closest to the kind of storytelling B5 had. Of course, some say that's because Paramount ripped off JMS's idea, but that's another thread... [​IMG]
    Chad

8. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

B5 is my favorite too; however, Voyager was my least favorite trek.
    I agree that DS9 was most like B5 .... even used some of the same ideas.