What's new

voyage to the bottom of the sea. (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
The "Eleven Days To Zero" puzzle.

When VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA appeared on DVD, it did so in half-seasons with some extras, like the fabled "Unaired Pilot", "Eleven Days To Zero".

We all know that the pilot was filmed in color and broadcast on ABC in black & white, but there were edits beyond that. There was the mysterious Dr. Gamma character, alternately played by Werner Klemperer and Theo Marcuse in various scenes. There was the re-edited opening credits with the aired version using the regular VOYAGE theme tune and the unaired original version using Paul Sawtell's original score.

The DVDs contained the following:
S1V1D1 = The aired pilot, re-edited title sequence
S1V1D3b - The color version of the unaired pilot, with re-edited title sequence.

As the DVDs continued to come out, there were cries from the fandom that there was a different title sequence that we weren't getting to see, so by the time we got to Season 4, we were given another extra of an unaired pilot. If I'm correct, this S4V1 version is identical to the one presented on S1D3b, the unaired color pilot with the re-edited title sequence. (That title sequence, by the way was lifted from the S2 color opening.

The series stalled for a good long while, but finally the pleas from fans were heard and S4V2 was released. This time they promised the real unaired pilot.

So, on S4V2D3b we got a black & white unaired pilot with the original opening title sequence, and a very different version of the first Dr. Gamma scene. That disc also contained the original ABC aired pilot version with commercials, and the Dr. Gamma scene is the more familiar one.

It appears to me that Dr. Gamma's henchmen at the table were the biggest change. In the real unaired pilot, we are presented with a row of sinister looking Asian types. The modified version gives us just one Asian and a bunch of standard white guys. It's possible that Network Standards found the Asian guy scene too threatening or political or something, so a re-done scene was substituted for air.

Here is a screen cap of each of the Dr. Gamma opening scenes:

The black and white aired version on S1V1D1:
vlcsnap-2022-09-21-14-38-4900001.jpg

The color unaired version on S1V1D3b:
vlcsnap-2022-09-21-14-37-0600001.jpg

The unaired "re-cut" version on S4V1D3b:
vlcsnap-2022-09-21-14-40-3600001.jpg

The black & white unaired pilot on S4V2D3b:
vlcsnap-2022-09-21-14-42-1700001.jpg

And finally the televised ABC version with commercials on S4V2D3b:
vlcsnap-2022-09-21-14-43-4100002.jpg

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The "Eleven Days To Zero" puzzle.

When VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA appeared on DVD, it did so in half-seasons with some extras, like the fabled "Unaired Pilot", "Eleven Days To Zero".

We all know that the pilot was filmed in color and broadcast on ABC in black & white, but there were edits beyond that. There was the mysterious Dr. Gamma character, alternately played by Werner Klemperer and Theo Marcuse in various scenes. There was the re-edited opening credits with the aired version using the regular VOYAGE theme tune and the unaired original version using Paul Sawtell's original score.

The DVDs contained the following:
S1V1D1 = The aired pilot, re-edited title sequence
S1V1D3b - The color version of the unaired pilot, with re-edited title sequence.

As the DVDs continued to come out, there were cries from the fandom that there was a different title sequence that we weren't getting to see, so by the time we got to Season 4, we were given another extra of an unaired pilot. If I'm correct, this S4V1 version is identical to the one presented on S1D3b, the unaired color pilot with the re-edited title sequence. (That title sequence, by the way was lifted from the S2 color opening.

The series stalled for a good long while, but finally the pleas from fans were heard and S4V2 was released. This time they promised the real unaired pilot.

So, on S4V2D3b we got a black & white unaired pilot with the original opening title sequence, and a very different version of the first Dr. Gamma scene. That disc also contained the original ABC aired pilot version with commercials, and the Dr. Gamma scene is the more familiar one.

It appears to me that Dr. Gamma's henchmen at the table were the biggest change. In the real unaired pilot, we are presented with a row of sinister looking Asian types. The modified version gives us just one Asian and a bunch of standard white guys. It's possible that Network Standards found the Asian guy scene too threatening or political or something, so a re-done scene was substituted for air.
I don't think the network thought they were too scary but probably wanted to remove the hint of "Communist China" from the episode and made it an multi-national organization.

Here's an except from a blog post I made about the pilot so many years ago...

While filmed in color, a black and white print was made airing and the opening credits were edited to conform to the format of the series. There are a number of differences between the aired and unaired versions of the pilot. The opening and closing theme music is completely different, but still composed by Paul Sawtell (Sid Cutner is credited with orchestrations). The unaired episode is three minutes shorter, omitting the scenes of Captain Crane testing security and all related conversation. These scenes were in the original shooting script and their omission removes some of Kowalski's motivation for distrusting Crane. Also, by taking them out, there is no answer to Fred Wilson's comment regarding Crane's lack of imagination. Finally, the conversation in the observation nose provides Nelson and Crane with a longer introductory scene, which adds dimension and warmth to the characters.

Other scenes were reshot, mainly involving Dr. Gamma and his melodramatic gestures, including an unintentionally hilarious moment where he sweeps a large model of the Seaview off his conference table. When it came time to refilm these sequences, Theodore Marcuse was not called back or was unavailable and Werner Klemperer stepped in. Their physical builds and vocal qualities are quite different, with the only real similarity being their lack of hair. Ironically, the one shot of Dr. Gamma's face, partially obscured by shadow, is of Klemperer. His work was left uncredited.

The remaining alterations consist of minor music changes, tighter editing, one line of dialog from Chip and the removal of the word "evil" from the descriptions of Gamma's organization.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the details. Is the color pilot on the S1 DVD set the same as the color pilot on the S4 DVD set?
Yes, identical. I was disappointed at the time because I know at least a 16mm print of the color unaired pilot exists. The old Columbia House and syndicated color version of the pilot had the original unaired pilot opening titles tacked on. I also had a vhs copy of the 16mm color pilot but that's long lost. However, the color version on the DVDs looks insanely good.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
However, the color version on the DVDs looks insanely good.
It sure does - the colors just pop, even moreso than on the color seasons of the show. And I too recall seeing a color version with the original titles - probably on a syndicated run on SciFi.

I believe it was VOYAGE's Sunday night at 7 time slot on ABC that didn't allow me to get into the series very much. That was a tough time slot for our family. If we weren't involved in a Sunday evening church service, we were probably travelling from our summer cottage to back home.

As a result, I never really got too gung-ho about VOYAGE. But I did watch it when I could and I think I preferred the more fantastic monster/alien shows rather than the more serious spy dramas.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
To Darby67, you could buy that Fess' Favorites set, but the color pilot is the same as the B&W version.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
It sure does - the colors just pop, even moreso than on the color seasons of the show. And I too recall seeing a color version with the original titles - probably on a syndicated run on SciFi.

I believe it was VOYAGE's Sunday night at 7 time slot on ABC that didn't allow me to get into the series very much. That was a tough time slot for our family. If we weren't involved in a Sunday evening church service, we were probably travelling from our summer cottage to back home.

As a result, I never really got too gung-ho about VOYAGE. But I did watch it when I could and I think I preferred the more fantastic monster/alien shows rather than the more serious spy dramas.
Sad that Disney is letting all the great content just sit in vaults

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Disney probably doesn't even know about this stuff let alone care. This stuff is pennies to them. They're only interested in tent pole movies that are going to make billions for them in terms of international grosses and merchandising. Iger is one of the worst things to ever happen to the national culture. Yet he's a genius at making everybody think he's the best thing since sliced bread.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Disney probably doesn't even know about this stuff let alone care. This stuff is pennies to them. They're only interested in tent pole movies that are going to make billions for them in terms of international grosses and merchandising. Iger is one of the worst things to ever happen to the national culture. Yet he's a genius at making everybody think he's the best thing since sliced bread.
Spot on NONE of them are Walt --- they continue to live off a brand that is long gone

Jay*W

Second Unit
Does anyone have a working copy of Disc 3A of Season 1 Volume 1 or Disc 2A of Season 1 Volume 2? I have bought multiple copies trying to cobble together a full working set, but these two sides are the only two that I have been unable to obtain working copies of thus far. Thanks,

Jay

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I believe the full series has been issued on DVD with single sided discs but it's a region 2 release.

I have the eight half season sets from Fox Studios with the flipper discs, episodes recorded on both sides, so far I'm not having problems with any of the discs, keeping fingers crossed it stays that way.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I had a problem with one disc in the S1V2 set. It simply stopped working at all. I bit the bullet and bought another set that works fine.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
On the subject of the different versions of the pilot episode, I enjoyed watching the version with original commercials on the season 4 volume 2 set, although the sound quality of this print isn't the greatest and the audio suffers a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks