What's new

voyage to the bottom of the sea. (2 Viewers)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
i am wondering if we will see the series on Blu-ray? My other question is will they re release the series on single sided discs.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Highly unlikely - because it's Fox who was purchased by Disney. Disney typically ignores TV content completely. Fox never recognized the issues with their DS releases so those never got corrected. Your only hope is to pick up a R2 version. The complete series released in R2 is on SS discs.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Highly unlikely - because it's Fox who was purchased by Disney. Disney typically ignores TV content completely. Fox never recognized the issues with their DS releases so those never got corrected. Your only hope is to pick up a R2 version. The complete series released in R2 is on SS discs.
Exactly. We're kinda out of hope since Disney bought Fox. The R2 sets are from the identical prints. They're just suffering from PAL speedup. However, they seem to have pitch corrected at least the color episodes since they don't sound that different from the US release.

Also they are in production number order, but they do have a Play All feature which is great.

This thread may interest you.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Unfortunately, unless it's Star Wars, Marvel or one of Disney's own, there won't be much movement. With both Kevin Burns and Sheila Allen gone, there really isn't anyone banging the drum for the Irwin Allen properties. We got the Lost in Space revival just before we lost Burns and Fox. And Fox wasn't too enthusiastic about them either. Their releases were far from ideal in the states.

Don't get me wrong, a Voyage blu ray release would be my last remaining must buy. But I would be happy with a US repressing on single sided discs.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
If Sea Quest go the BD Box set...why not V2TBOTS?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My S1 sets now have issues on a couple of discs with episodes that just won't play all the way through (stutter and/or hang/freeze). It's all due to the style of discs - one reason I'd purchase a new SS set in a heart beat and one reason I've never replaced them with new DS sets as I expect the same issue to recur. I had to return my original S1V1 set twice before I got one that'd work and play all the episodes without issues - and this was about a year after the original release. It's possible those issues were corrected but Fox never admitted they existed. I had the same issue with my original complete series set of Land of the Giants, also on problematic DS discs, and, fortunately, was able to get it replaced with one that worked.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Series? I don't think they've even yet released the original movie on Blu-ray.

84lion

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alan McKown
I have the VTTBOTS Region 2 release from Revelation. I can thoroughly recommend it. I am in the US and have not observed any PAL speedup issues, but then again I use MakeMKV and play the individual files via Plex, not sure if that makes a difference vs. using a DVD or BR player. I can say that the picture is very very good. If you really look hard you can see some specks and so forth but any imperfections are very minimal – it’s not “remastered” or “restored” but it sure looks good. The PAL format provides a little extra detail to the picture. Actually, what I do is run the MKV files through VEAI software to upscale it 200% - the resultant picture is effectively HD and looks excellent on my 70” 4K display. DVDs are dual layer, single sided. Packaging is nothing to write home about – seasons 1 and 2 are in one DVD case while seasons 3 and 4 are in another, with both cases in a cardboard case – but it gets the job done. There are quite a few “extras” including the pilot episode in color. This DVD set is available on Amazon and Ebay. Well worth it IMHO.

84lion

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alan McKown
Series? I don't think they've even yet released the original movie on Blu-ray.
The movie was released on Blu Ray and is available at Amazon and probably elsewhere. It ain't cheap but the picture looks quite good.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
My original release double-sided DVDs look amazing. I wouldn't shell out more for new discs, whether single side or blu-ray.
I'm not fond of double sided DVD's but I haven't had any issues with Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea from Fox studios, the episodes play fine without any problems.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would upgrade this series to Blu Ray in a heartbeat. But I would never replace my DVD's with more DVD's. All of mine play fine and always have so no reason to replace them. I have never had an issue with a flipper disc. Some players definitely have problems with these discs though. A friend of mine had issues with a couple flippers and after he upgraded his player he tried those discs again and no issues.

paul pisano

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
paul pisano
I did contact Disney and asked about voyage, and they told me they would let me know if voyage is coming to Blu-ray.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
If Sea Quest go the BD Box set...why not V2TBOTS?

Different companies, different priorities.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have the VTTBOTS Region 2 release from Revelation. I can thoroughly recommend it. I am in the US and have not observed any PAL speedup issues, but then again
The UK episodes run 49 minutes on average and the US versions clock in around 51. There's only a slight speed up in the color episodes which I assume is due to the pitch correction. I have some episodes converted from PAL video tape and they are much higher in pitch but run the same length. The first season sounds higher to me than the colors.

I transferred all of my NTSC tapes to MKV as well. Plex, though, tends to look washed out when I use it. Like a lot of DNR is in place and I can't seem to do anything about it. When I plug the drive directly to my TV or Blu Ray player, it looks great. However, it may be the Roku doing it. I had the drive attached to my Roku and used they media player for a while and the images were much like what I'm getting through the Plex via Roku. Anyone else have this issue?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Anyone else have this issue?

Yes, in the brief time I used a Roku 3 to play back my SD mkv files, whether through the Roku Plex app or just by the Roku Media Player, the result was not good. Playing them via Plex or Infuse on an AppleTV is far superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks