What's new

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA--SEASON 4 VOL.2 (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Finn

VOYAGE is coming.....hang tight.

This isn't any real news - I would have found it unlikely that FOX would abandon the series with one volume left, even with the long gap between releases.

Some people just don't get the dynamics of how a studio and the home video divisions work. "Voyage" is just one library property among 1000's of ther shows and films,current and past that are viable for release on DVD and Blu-Ray from TCF. I understand that market and economic factors can affect even the most popular series from having steady video releases.

Gee, Now everyone is going to badger Finn even more about PEYTON PLACE :)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean

VOYAGE is coming.....hang tight.

Mr. Finn:

You have made Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea fans worldwide absolutely elated with those 5 words! Thank you so much for the confirmation that Season 4 Volume 2 is on its way!

Darby

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
This is a great news! I would like to finished my collection of voyage to the bottom of th sea!!

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Thanks Mr Finn, I really hope that this is the great news we've all been waiting for...but...I'm afraid I'm holding off the celebrations until I see that press release from Fox.

I'm not casting any aspersions on Mr Finn and it's great that someone from Fox takes the time to read and respond in these forums (after all, if anyone knows, he should!) but honestly there have been way too many rumours and false hopes raised over this.

"Voyage is coming"...that could mean anything, and at the moment I'm going to presume that at best it just means that Fox haven't actually officially abandoned that last set.

Anything more than that really needs something much more specific, like I said, I'm not getting my hopes up until I see that press release with a date and maybe the box art.

Sorry to sound such a downer, but that's the way I feel.

The last time we got a "we haven't abandoned the show" we had to wait what another nine months before S4V1 in March 2009.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebiroth

Thanks Mr Finn, I really hope that this is the great news we've all been waiting for...but...I'm afraid I'm holding off the celebrations until I see that press release from Fox.

The last time we got a "we haven't abandoned the show" we had to wait what another nine months before S4V1 in March 2009.

I have to agree with Richard on this one. While Finn's comments have raised my hopes from a "very low" back to a respectable "optimistic", I'm painfully aware of the fact that studios can have something planned and then later abandon those plans. It's happened many, many times before and it will surely happen many, many times again. Therefore I reserve the right to be ecstatic until I see/read an official Fox press release.

Gary "keeping my fingers crossed that Finn is correct on this one" O.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
^^

Seconded!

Untill I hear the "Official" Word on http://tvshowsondvd.com, I'll have to play the role of the "Doubting Thomas". I admit things are looking up, let's hope that this isn't "A Train going the other direction".

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
As far as I am concerned, from the moment I heard that FOX Insiders were reading these threads, all I wanted from one of them was confirmation that VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA would either continue – or was officially abandoned. It was the “not knowing either way” that was the most unpleasant part. Do we go on posting here in the hopes it does some good, or move on to more productive endeavors? [COLOR= #000000]Not only did Mr. Finn tell us that VOYAGE was NOT being abandoned, but that it “…is coming”. [/COLOR] I find that to be excellent news, as should you all! In my own profession, I can’t always tell a client when a project will be completed (or, perhaps I am not AT LIBERTY to tell!) I think we owe Mr. Finn the same courtesy – and thank him for what he DID say! We should not respond to his statement with skepticism at such an early date! [COLOR= #ff0000]After all, he gave us at HTF what amounts to an exclusive “scoop”! I wish more studios would do the same! [/COLOR]

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
If I was discourteous to Mr Finn I apologise...but I don;t think I was...?

I also reiterate my thanks to Mr Finn for taking the time to read and post in these forums.

To repeat, I feel much more optimistic about that final release than I did before, but experience over many years of collecting DVD sets has taught me that it's best not to get too excited until there has been at least the official press release. Or better yet, when you've actually got the thing in your hands!

At the moment, I just consider this confrimation that the series hasn't been abandoned and that there is good reason to believe the final 13 episodes are on their way...somewhen.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
And once more, I'll simply add an "Amen" to Richard's comments above. Neither of us were being discourteous to Finn. We were just stating the cold, hard fact that plans do change when it comes to future dvd releases. Now, if Mr. Finn has it on good authority that this last release is set to come out in, let's say, the next four to six months, then I'd say there's an excellent chance we will indeed see this set. But if his comments come from looking at a long term release schedule sheet (something beyond 6 months) then I'm just cautioning everyone to realize that those schedules do change and sets are dropped - more often than you might ever think. I can tell you right now that last year at this time one prominent studio had stuff on their long term schedule (6-18 months) that flat out got abandoned. So all I'm saying is that until either Mr. Finn comes back and tells us VTTBOTS Season 4, Volume 2 is coming in the next 6 or so months, I'm not going to count it as money in the bank. If he is alluding to that type of time frame then I'll gladly start dancing with joy because it will mean we are almost assuredly getting the set. But if he's talking about long term I'm still of the mindset to scale back my enthusiasm until the set gets closer to 6 months away from release.

Gary "hope everyone sees where I'm coming from now" O.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am to lazy to hunt the other Voyage thread. I have news Seaview The Making of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea update book not happening. I broke my rule on PM.s one Fan has the word. I know of a limited number for fans only to purchase from a very fine source. Simple post here if you wish the book. The Richard Basehart Tribute I believe is on TCM in August check her listing.

I am so glad Voyage is on the way!!! I will now throw all efforts on Peyton Place as one fan put it. Why most certainly I will would you expect anything else from me.

Originally Posted by Gary OS

And once more, I'll simply add an "Amen" to Richard's comments above. Neither of us were being discourteous to Finn. We were just stating the cold, hard fact that plans do change when it comes to future dvd releases. Now, if Mr. Finn has it on good authority that this last release is set to come out in, let's say, the next four to six months, then I'd say there's an excellent chance we will indeed see this set. But if his comments come from looking at a long term release schedule sheet (something beyond 6 months) then I'm just cautioning everyone to realize that those schedules do change and sets are dropped - more often than you might ever think. I can tell you right now that last year at this time one prominent studio had stuff on their long term schedule (6-18 months) that flat out got abandoned. So all I'm saying is that until either Mr. Finn comes back and tells us VTTBOTS Season 4, Volume 2 is coming in the next 6 or so months, I'm not going to count it as money in the bank. If he is alluding to that type of time frame then I'll gladly start dancing with joy because it will mean we are almost assuredly getting the set. But if he's talking about long term I'm still of the mindset to scale back my enthusiasm until the set gets closer to 6 months away from release.

Gary "hope everyone sees where I'm coming from now" O.
I'd agree with this. Not that long ago, the entire series of "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" was reportedly coming to DVD, and the series was totally abandoned after a single season's release.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Richard Villafana

I'd agree with this. Not that long ago, the entire series of "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" was reportedly coming to DVD, and the series was totally abandoned after a single season's release.

That one has been a sore spot for me. Last September it looked like we were going to get season 2 (was up on Amazon with a release date) before getting pulled. And then a rumor posted here in the spring saying they heard from Infinity about a possible summer release. Then I received an email from Infinity a month or so back saying they have no plans at this time to release further seasons. What a bummer.

So even seeing it on a release schedule with a pre-order price is not always enough. Unfortunatelty, until someone actually receives it in hand, it can still be pulled back into vapor-ware land.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb

So even seeing it on a release schedule with a pre-order price is not always enough. Unfortunatelty, until someone actually receives it in hand, it can still be pulled back into vapor-ware land.

Exactly, Brad. Until any set is literally in my hands I never am 100% comfortable. If people here knew how many classic series one studio in particular canned after initially having those series on a long range release schedule (by long range I simply mean anywhere from 6 to 18 months out) they'd be shocked. It happens a lot more than some people realize.

Gary "none of this is to imply I don't feel good about Voyage finishing up because I do - I'm just saying that things can change so don't count the chickens..." O.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Gary "none of this is to imply I don't feel good about Voyage finishing up because I do - I'm just saying that things can change so don't count the chickens..." O.

I'm with you - perhaps Mr.Finn was allowed to give a general statement because the studio is getting frequent requests (or is that constant frequent requests from a particular person)about the release status

A 6-18 months window sounds about right.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Trust me when I say that Mr Finn doesn't need permission to speak with us about titles. He is the one giving permission. Having said that he is essentially giving you guys a scoop since you are so passionate about the series. There is an obvious manufacturing lead time so based on my interactions with him he wouldn't have told you if it wasn't in progress. He mentioned the following in another thread (emphasis added by me). I think it speaks for itself:

We will have a box set later this year celebrating 75 years of 20th Century Fox - it will include Cavalcade. The remaining episodes of Voyage... will be out by the end of the year and Elia Kazan's A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN is also coming with a lot more Kazan. I will confirm when I can...

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Trust me when I say that Mr Finn doesn't need permission to speak with us about titles. He is the one giving permission. Having said that he is essentially giving you guys a scoop since you are so passionate about the series. There is an obvious manufacturing lead time so based on my interactions with him he wouldn't have told you if it wasn't in progress. He mentioned the following in another thread (emphasis added by me). I think it speaks for itself:

Thank you, Adam! I, for one, was grateful to Mr. Finn for giving HTF what is in actuality an exclusive scoop -- and both believe in and appreciate what he says. He, after all, is in the best position to know, (See my earlier post in this thread)

This ADDITIONAL NUGGET sweetens the pot all the more!

I don't expect a firm date from him at this point -- nor should anyone else. Nor should we draw parallels to our experiences with other series and other studios and providers.

I'm happy in the extreme for the news he DID share, and will be there for the on-sale date!

Further, I hope Mr. Finn will share additional news from FOX whenever possible. It's good to have him "aboard"!

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Mr Finn is essentially the boss so he doesn;t need permission to say anything

I'm grateful that he takes the time to read and respond to people on these forums.

We are indeed passionate about this series and I'm delighted that it seems increasingly likely that the final episodes are on their way.

This said I am not actually celebrating until I have the set in my hands because even the best made plans can go awry at the last minute.

The "before the end of the year" does however tie in with a rumour that was circulating elsewhere.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, my apologies if Mr. Finn is the big boss at Fox. Had I known that I'd have changed the wording of my reply.

Having said that, let me just add that while it does sound like VTTBOTS is a lock to come out by Christmas, the point I made about long term scheduling is 100% valid. I know this for an absolute fact (I won't and can't go into details). There are times when a show is scheduled and it gets pulled, sometimes only months before a release. It does happen - much more than many of you here probably realize. If I mentioned all the titles I know for a fact got pulled by one major studio after originally being on their long term planner you guys would be shocked. I'm talking multiple titles that were scheduled for release in 6 to 12 months and then were suddenly pulled. It does happen, and that's why I initially wanted to bring some balance and perspective to the comments about VTTBOTS coming. But if Finn is high up in the chain at Fox then I'll gladly amend my comments and happily await a soon coming official announcement.

Gary "long live the Seaview" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks