What's new

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA--SEASON 4 VOL.2 (1 Viewer)

kowalski65

Agent
Real Name
Joe
Yes, Mark. The late Mike Bailey's vttbots.com site is terrific. It's sad that he is no longer with us and his wife has been unable to find anyone to update the site.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I wish I had gotten to know Mike Bailey a bit better and am still saddened over his untimely death at the hands of leukemia. I still fondly recall his sending me a nice email some years ago congratulating and welcoming me simply because I happened to be the first visitor to sign his guestbook on the VTTBOTS site.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Something I noticed in prior volumes of VTTBOTS is still true to some extent. If you're looking for the full beginning credits theme music on this volume, switch over to the French soundtrack. The full theme, minus the narration and whine from the Flying Sub, AND including the final four notes, check out the French soundtrack on "The Terrible Leprechaun" and "The Lobster Man". Both of those have the full version. Most of the other episodes French track removes just the last two notes, so you'll get two more notes than is on the English track. "Secret of the Deep" and "Edge Of Doom" both chop off all four notes.

So, if you're ever dismayed at the lopping off of the music, check out the French audio on all of the other volumes. It might surprise you. Unfortuately, the fidelity of the French sound track isn't quite as good as the English one, but it's better than nothnig sometimes. With many players, switching audio tracks is fairly easy, seamless, and accomplished with just the press of a button on the remote.

Meanwhile, the "In Color" bumper on this volume is only found on "The Return Of Blackbeard" and "The Lobster Man".

Harry

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by Harry-N

Something I noticed in prior volumes of VTTBOTS is still true to some extent. If you're looking for the full beginning credits theme music on this volume, switch over to the French soundtrack. The full theme, minus the narration and whine from the Flying Sub, AND including the final four notes, check out the French soundtrack on "The Terrible Leprechaun" and "The Lobster Man". Both of those have the full version. Most of the other episodes French track removes just the last two notes, so you'll get two more notes than is on the English track. "Secret of the Deep" and "Edge Of Doom" both chop off all four notes.

So, if you're ever dismayed at the lopping off of the music, check out the French audio on all of the other volumes. It might surprise you. Unfortuately, the fidelity of the French sound track isn't quite as good as the English one, but it's better than nothnig sometimes. With many players, switching audio tracks is fairly easy, seamless, and accomplished with just the press of a button on the remote.

Meanwhile, the "In Color" bumper on this volume is only found on "The Return Of Blackbeard" and "The Lobster Man".

Harry

Great work, Harry! I had reconciled to never again hearing those final notes, unique to 2/3 of the final season. I'll have to try the French track.

Just as with The Fugitive, we Voyage fans expect to hear the show played a certain way... and it rubs when it does not.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thankyou Harry for the info. I loved the "drumbeats" I also loved the new opening to the show in season 4. I never could understand why they did not start off that way. I also notice the beats are added in the menu but sound like they are tacked on to the end of the past season mix of the title tune. I really miss Time Tunnel in color opening. I always enjoyed that. Harry the Voyage in color opening did you not say was only used on season 4 at one time. Maybe you ment when it was in syndication. I know each network did an in color different from the other two. I wonder what Voyage in color looked like for season 2 and 3. Season 2 must have been ABC's few only shows in color if not just Voyage.

Hey Joe thought you did not like the drumbeats??? Thought you said something about them when it first came out without them. You said it perfect I do miss them but I take the show as is and I am very happy to have it as opposed to last year. Happy Voyage everyone!!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
The "In Color" bumper was used officially on ABC for every episode of the fourth season, but I noted the only two episodes on the DVD set that still carry this old network device. There are also a few on the Volume 1 set for Season Four.

For Season Two, ABC used the generic color logo that they used on whatever color series they were airing at that point in time, which didn't number very highly.

When VOYAGE's Season Three rolled around, ABC opted instead to have each program supplier make their own, shorter bumpers that would carry more of each show's identity. For Season Four, VOYAGE freshened up its "In Color" bumper with the newer "scope" circular device found on the Leprechaun and Lobster episodes on this DVD set.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Oh, forgot to add - THE TIME TUNNEL's "In Color" bumper can be found on DVD on THE FANTASY WORLDS OF IRWIN ALLEN, still available at Amazon.com and other DVD retailers.

Harry

kowalski65

Agent
Real Name
Joe
The "In COLOR(!)" intro to network programs was one of the quintessential features of 60s TV (that, and the instantly immobilizing karate chop to the back of the neck, wielded by protagonists and antagonists alike!)

As a little kid, I couldn't understand why the networks "IN COLOR!" announcements didn't magically override our black-and-white set's design, and give us color viewing (like we had at our more affluent relatives' houses.)

I think maybe color is the reason Voyage Season 2 edges out Season 1 as my favorite.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Hi Guys,

Those who wonder what the 3rd season's In Color looked like;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jENsrtqZnBE&NR=1

The Canadian Space channel usually kept them on, I have a ton of 16mm print episodes with all that stuff. A shame they weren't included on the DVDs, at least as a bonus feature.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Go on, admit it… How many of you watched “Terrible Leprechaun” today …St. Patrick’s Day!

The great thing about a DVD collection is that you can program your own double and triple features: Mine was VOYAGE “Terrible Leprechaun”, followed by James Cagney’s great gangster epic “White Heat”, and then an episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold!

You’ll never get a lineup like THAT on TV, folks!

Some interesting things about “Terrible Leprechaun”:

Its writer, Charles Bennett, was long associated with Alfred Hitchcock before Irwin Allen – and he was one of the writers of “Foreign Correspondent”. Yes, really! Rather than reproduce the passage here, I’ll just provide a link to my Blog entry for anyone who is interested.

http://tiahblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/dvd-review-alfred-hitchcocks-foreign.html

Also – and I NEVER saw this on any TV or VHS viewing – when “good leprechaun” Patrick “pops-out” to recreate Chip Morton, Kowalski and the (dead since season two) Crewman Jensen in full diving gear in the Missile Room – at about 37:40 of the episode…

…You can SEE a very brief sort-of-transparent image of actor Walter Burke EXITING THE FRAME to the viewer’s left, as Burke’s Leprechaun Patrick dissolves out of the frame! Check it and see, especially if you have an HD TV! Such great resolution and clarity from FOX for this set!

So, maybe Leprechauns don’t “teleport”, as much as they just zip out of a scene (almost) faster than the eye can see! The tricky devils!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Hey, I just got the Region 2 first season set from the UK. I have to tell you, they really did right by the show as far as packaging. The whole season is on 8 single-sided DVDs with 4 episodes per disc. The 9th DVD is all special features. It's packaged in a really nice clear clamshell with the slip art being the same as our volume 1. And it goes into a cardboard outer case. What really surprised me was the order; I guess because our airdates and the UKs were not the same, these were put into production order. I actually like that a lot, you can track the evolution of the show and the sets that way.

Oh and the menus are nicer, too, with some background animation (clips from the episodes seen very dimly). They even have a Play All feature. Really very nice.

I am glad we finally got the entire run, but jeez, this should have been our set (even if they were still in airdate order).

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Voyage Fans HBO wil be airing the Voyage movie twice in HD and non HD at 3:15 AM and 6:15 AM CST time Sunday Morning.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It's funny, I saw the movie long before I caught the TV series. It used to run on a local station fairly often and I liked it. But when I saw the series, I much preferred Basehart and Hedison to Pidgeon and Sterling. Come on…Richard Basehart. Not too many actors reached his level.

There was something about Irwin Allen's pre-TV series films that were really old fashioned. Although Voyage was his best film from that period, the cast killed it for me in later years (Frankie Fricking Avalon). Stodgy Nelson and his ridiculously short tie, Peter Lorre walking a shark, and CPO Gleason (hated that guy) were hard to get past. The story was solid enough and it's better than the TV series version of the same scenario ("The Sky's On Fire"), and the soundtrack was quite good. I'll always be grateful, however, for the movie because without the standing sets, models, and footage to draw from, there would have been no series. Happy 50th birthday Voyage movie!

Having said all that, I won't be parting with my 16mm reels of the movie anytime soon. ;)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
If I remember correctly, Irwin Allen wanted David Hedison to play Capt Crane in the movie as well. However Hedison

was not enamored with Allen after working with him on the Lost World. When Allen came back to Hedison for the tv show and he was not that interested. until Richard Basehart was signed.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
While I appreciate the "out-there" characterization of the Nelson character in the movie - and Pidgeon played it well - the more grounded-in-reality nature of the character in the TV series will always be the definitive interpretation. Basehart was perfect for it, and kept it up through four seasons of outlandish scripts and rubber-suited monsters, always making us believe it was somehow all real.

And Hedison did his part too, to play off of Basehart and help keep things grounded. If it hadn't been for those two, I fear we wouldn't be discussing any of this in any of the threads. All kudos to both men for their work.

Harry

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The BBFC this week have passed the second season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. It has a UK release date of Monday 13th June, 2011 (source: Play.com).

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The UK are really committed to it. They have it planned out to have the whole run complete this year. The third season comes out September 12th and the last one November 7th.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D342350011&field-keywords=voyage+to+the+bottom+of+the+sea&x=0&y=0

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks