What's new

Vote for the Sony Classics you want on BD (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher

The Bridge on the River Kwai

I second, third, fourth...one thousandth that motion! (btw, I've actually been to Fishkill!)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS

BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

BARABBAS

TAXI DRIVER

NEW YORK NEW YORK(if they still have the rights to this one)

RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE and other b/w horror classics in full high def

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Paul Rossen

1. The Superbit DVD of Lawrence of Arabia is quite good. However, that will not stop me from purchasing the Bluray when it becomes available.2. The Lord Jim DVD when it was available was also quite good though it didn't include the Intermission break.
2. The Barabbas DVD is not up to par. The DVD states 4 track stereo and I believe there may be one scene in stereo-otherwise everthing else come out of the center channel. The Overture and Intermission music is not to be found. Barabbas is one Columbia title that certainly can use a DVD or Bluray redo.

Me to- especialy Barabbas- a terrific film which is nearly forgotten about today. However did Barabbas ever have an Overture and/or intermission music. I don't recall any.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Jim_K

Not that this really matters I guess but just for shits and giggles:

My Top 10 Most Wanted SONY titles (Alphabetical order)

Bridge on the River Kwai
Curse of the Demon
Das Boot
Guns of Navarone
Jason and the Argonauts
(or better yet Harryhausen set vol #2 w/ Mysterious Island, First Men in the Moon and the 70's Sinbad films)
Lawrence of Arabia
Major Dundee
Man From Laramie
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Taxi Driver

I'd also love to see a Film Noir set and Hammer Horror set but it's probably a pipe dream.
Jason and the Argonauts is available now in 720P on Netflix instant view. Looks very good. This might indicate a blu-ray release is coming.

Doug

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

Jason and the Argonauts is available now in 720P on Netflix instant view. Looks very good. This might indicate a blu-ray release is coming.

Doug
Jason was on rotation on the Monsters HD channel a few years ago along with Mysterious Island, the Sinbad films and FMITM, they all looked good then.

I get the impression Sony has been sitting on a number of these like the Harryhausens, Kwai, Navarone, LOA, Das Boot, Taxi Driver, etc waiting for ..................who knows.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Yes, during its original roadshow run(a very short one at the DeMille Theatre in NYC) Barabbas was indeed presented with an Overture and Intermission. The music for both was the same.

The intermssion took place right after Barabbas and Sahak were rescued from the salt mines and were carted off. Right there there is a major break in the film as the next scene shows the two of them on a plow in the fields.

The dvd sound is also below par for such a film. Hopefully Columbia Pictures/Sony Pictures have better elements...

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Paul Rossen

Yes, during its original roadshow run(a very short one at the DeMille Theatre in NYC) Barabbas was indeed presented with an Overture and Intermission. The music for both was the same.

The intermssion took place right after Barabbas and Sahak were rescued from the salt mines and were carted off. Right there there is a major break in the film as the next scene shows the two of them on a plow in the fields.

I remember it that way as well. Barabbas was the very first reserved seat roadshow attraction I saw - at the Odeon, Haymarket in London. Supporting the film was a superb 70mm short about New York city (was it called "New York, New York" or "Wonderful New York"?)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I saw it as well at the Haymarket Odeon where it was the opening attraction. The support film about NY was also in Technirama. I am surprised that Barabbas had a short run in NY( presumably with a different support!! ). I read somewhere that it was an unexpected success in the U.S.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I don't believe Barabbas made much of an impact in the US. The roadshow run in NYC was not much longer than one month-if that. The reviews were not good with Anthony Quinn being singled out as befits the star. The cinematography and music were good but imho that was about all. That said I do have the dvd and it is not a good representation of the film as I recall.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It isn't a good representation of the movie but as I suggested earlier it's not because of the elements which seem to be OK. It's the mastering for DVD which is the problem. Just compare the Barabbas DVD with the King Of Kings DVD.

Having said that, I'd like King Of Kings on Blu-ray too!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Ray Harryhausen

Bogart

Lawrence of Arabia

A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS

BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

BARABBAS

TAXI DRIVER

and the pipe dream,
Batman / Batman and Robin Serial in full high def
RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE and other b/w horror classics in full high def
Complete Theatrical Shorts (1934-1959) The Three Stooges

come on sony jump deeper into the vault than the other studios are willing to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks