Vote for the "Rescue Me" season 2 cover

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joseph DeMartino, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Sony can't decide between two cover designs for the second season set of its acclaimed F/X original series, Rescue Me, so they've asked fans to express their opinion.

You can vote for one of two covers for Dennis Leary's series about a dysfunctional NY firefighter, his co-workers and his family at this link courtesy of TVShowsOnDVD - which provided a similar page for Party of five.

Thanks as always to Gord Lacey for always providing up to the minute infor on shows and cool little extras like this one.

Regards,

Joe

2. MattGSmith

MattGSmith Stunt Coordinator

I don't watch the show, but I voted anyway! [​IMG] I thought the first one with Leary falling was pretty clever...

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    That's odd. When I voted earlier today, the cover on the left had the cast portraits and the one on the right had Leary falling. Now they're reversed. I wonder if they do that from time to time, or if there is some kind of randomizer at work to control for any tendency people might have to pick the "first" cover, or to favor the image on the left over the image on the right.

I thought the "falling" picture was nice, but voted for the other because I thought it better matched the S1 cover and I like some kind of design consistency in TV sets.

Regards,

Joe

4. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I voted just now (~10pm ET), and the Leary falling cover was on the right. I voted for the cast cover.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I had the falling cover on the left (and voted for it). It's cool that they're allowing fans to have some say in the cover.

6. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor Stunt Coordinator

I voted for the falling cover. I think that the other one and the first season have too much in common. I think that the falling one is very imaginative. I just want to say that I voted for it yesterday, before Gord put up the notice about it. It was already on the links menu. Did anyone else notice it?
    -James

7. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

I thought Leary had a dumb look on his face on the falling cover so I voted for the cast cover.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I haven't voted yet, but I'm leaning toward the cast cover because it looks like it belongs on the shelf next to the first season cover more than the 'falling' cover does.

As for the left/right side thing, Gord always sets up a randomizer to make the cover pics switch position for different people entering the poll. It prevents people from favoring the left side because its the first one their eyes fall onto, or anything else psychological like that. So for one person the 'falling' is on the left, for others it is on the right.

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
  10. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I voted for that cast one. the falling one... I don't know... just didn't look right to me. Just voted on my first instict when I looked at them.

11. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Yup, that's why I voted for it. Plus, the "falling" one looked way too goofy for my taste.

Chris

12. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

James, you were part of my experiment [​IMG] I wanted to see how many people would notice the link there if I didn't draw attention to it, and quite a few did. It's amazing; I checked the voting percentages right after I added the news to the site, and just checked them again, and the breakdown between the two covers has only changed by 1%.....but I won't say which one is winning [​IMG]

Sony was quite impressed with the response we got from "Party of Five" when we posted it to the site (they were expecting 200 votes and got 2400), and I think they'll be even happier with this. I love doing stuff like this; it helps the studio out, and the fans get to be involved in the set.

And yes...the covers are random to prevent people from just going with the one on the left because they saw it first. The studios think it's cool (and it was really easy to do).

Gord

13. Stephen Lilley

Stephen Lilley Stunt Coordinator

As much as I like the falling cover, the weird look on Leary's face and the fact that I think the second cover would look really nice lined up next to Season One made me vote for the second cover.

14. JamesTaylor

Gord- Yay! I was part of an experiment and is there any other covers that studios want us to vote on?
    -James

15. AlexF

AlexF Supporting Actor

Alex
    here in toronto, the falling picture was a huge part of the advertising for the second season, whereas the cast-style photo was used for the first season. just as an aside.

16. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Why doesn't Sony just release both covers, half and half like some studios have been doing recently? Give fans the right to choose between one or the other.

17. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Easier to do with a mass-market hit film like Sin City than a cult TV show that needs to uses its cover to drive impulse buys. The point of stunt covers like Sin City is less to give fans a choice than to tempt them into buying multiple "collectible" copies. Again, you can do that with a hit film - with a marginal TV show, not so much. It isn't like they'd be getting tons of extra sales to make up for the cost of multiple inventory, SKUs, production runs, etc.

Regards,

Joe

18. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Weird. Never noticed the double post before. Never mind. [​IMG]

19. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Not a cover, but we're going to have something else coming up pretty soon.

Gord

20. JamesTaylor

I'm getting excited!
    -James