1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Vote for the release of "Ryan's Daughter" on UHD/4K

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by PMF, Sep 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    Deleted

2. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Deleted.

3. Dr Griffin

Zxpndk
    Deleted

4. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    On September 17th, 2015, Warner Archive Collection replied on their Facebook page with the following quote, concerning the release of "Ryan's Daughter":

"Nothing concrete to announce on this at the present time, but we are keenly aware of fan interest, and activity is ongoing to try and make a BD release possible."

benbess likes this.
  5. Dr Griffin

Zxpndk
    Deleted

6. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Deleted.

7. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    Looks like it has been kicked into the long grass - and that is where most of my wants are as well!

8. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Well, then, let's get out the lawn mower. :)

9. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Now that we're back in sync...I felt that your initial post on this thread was well worth highlighting :).

Many Thanks,

PMF

Dr Griffin likes this.
  10. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    That's what we are doing on this and many other threads. The trouble is it seems to be growing faster than we can cut it!

11. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Keith,

As I continue my specific campaign for "Ryan's Daughter" (which WAC has readily available without any known red-tape) please let me know on other fronts where I may be of support or service to your campaigns.

12. Paul Willson

Paul Willson Auditioning

Paul Willson
    Long time listener, first time caller. The possiblity of Ryan's Daughter being released in blu or better has got me to revive my long dormant htf account and sign in! I've also gone on the record over at Facebook.
    Let's make it happen!
    Paul

RMajidi likes this.
  13. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Second Unit

Tom
    Didn't David Lean consider Ryan's Daughter the third part of his sun/snow/water trilogy? Perhaps Mr. Harris can respond.

I'm all in on a blu Ray if it ever comes.

14. RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin
    I don't think we need to worry about putting our best foot forward here. HTF members are a glorious hotchpotch of diversity and any visitor will see the strength of support expressed across multiple HTF threads devoted to Ryan's Daughter. It's been particularly interesting to discover that several others don't count RD among their Lean favourites, yet would buy an HD disc release in a heartbeat for its extraordinary visuals. Even the posters that scoffed at the notion of a UHD release have made it clear that they would be happy to see it released in that format, but just can't see it happening - which is fair enough.

As this particular thread is dedicated to a 4K UHD release of RD, I'd like to add the following thoughts:

The writing is supposed to be on the wall for this format. More specifically, the received wisdom has it that the format might succeed for new age blockbusters, but catalogue titles won't get a look-in.

I agree that the format is up against it from the start. However, here's another consideration. If major studios have any commitment to making the UHD format succeed (for newer films, say), then they could increase their potential market by releasing select catalogue titles that would shine in 4K by virtue of sublime large-element cinematography - even if they don't sell like hotcakes!

Let's say a bunch of Lean epics are released in UHD. That would give cause for the likes of me to upgrade. Once I've upgraded my equipment on this motivation, I'd then buy new release films in this format too, which I wouldn't consider upgrading for otherwise. So I think that *if* Warner and Sony have a genuine interest in the success of UHD, they could do a lot worse than commit a few select David Lean epics to the format.

Everett S. and FoxyMulder like this.
  15. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    After The Bridge On The River Kwai, Lawrence Of Arabia & Doctor Zhivago, & with epics on the wane, this was David Lean's chance to show he could do great things with a smaller film. Not to be, after an age filming, & burning through a huge amount of money it looks like Lean just couldn't change his ways & his career came to a halt. I'd have loved to see his version of Mutiny On The Bounty. Very much looking forward to seeing Ryan's Daughter for the first time in glorious HD, hopefully next year.

16. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Today, I went to the Warner Archive Facebook page and invited them to read the comments on this thread made by the HTF membership.

Thank you all for your incisive views.

Thus far, of the 21 comments and votes made; 19 members were strongly in favor of seeing Warner Archive's release of "Ryan's Daughter" in HD; it's just that some of us can't believe that it could actually happen.

One thing is for certain; despite the controversies as to where this title falls within it's ranking of David Lean's canon of films; everyone unanimously agrees that THE greatest strength of "Ryan's Daughter" is found within the work of Freddie Young's 70mm cinematography; and, if released in either the BD or the UHD/4K format, that there would be no hesitation in our collective purchases.

This film is for the David Lean/Freddie Young completest who seeks, at a minimum, an HD BD of a visual masterpiece restored to its jaw-dropping brilliance. We've got "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Doctor Zhivago" on HD/BD; and now all we need is just one more title to round out their collaborative trilogy.

Fingers crossed !!!

-PMF

17. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Nonetheless, if Warner Archive were to come through with a release of "Ryan's Daughter" on UHD/4K or HD/BD, you'd still purchase it...right?

18. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    HERE'S OUR CHANCE !!!

Go to HTF's newly posted thread entitled "Warner Archive Survey for Blu Ray Releases".

WAC is surveying us with a dozen titles from which we can vote for three.

"Ryan's Daughter" is not among the list; but WAC also allows for one write-in vote, as well.

19. Didier R

Didier R Stunt Coordinator

Didier Rochefort
    :thumbsdown:

Jesus, get a life, man.

20. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Just simply alerting those on this thread who are in support of seeing "Ryan's Daughter" brought to BD.

Meanwhile, movies ARE my life.

I say this without any apologies.

Furthermore, I am proud to be a member of HTF, as well.

benbess, RMajidi, Walsh61 and 6 others like this.