Vote for Best TV DVD Awards

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Talmadge, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

I just caught this news item on Gord's site but after having voted I became frustrated with whoever put this list together. For example, the nominations should have been limited to one DVD set for series, not per season. The Simpsons and Seinfeld seemed to have more than one entry per field.

While I'm not openly upset over it I'm a little disappointed that some shows were given too much priority because of possible future sales. Seinfeld and Simpsons? I love those shows but I think there were other shows that should have been given for the second spot in two of the voting questions.

INstead of giving Simpsons and Seinfeld two spots in a single category vote, there were hundreds of other shows that were released that should have been given a chance at winning a category.

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/co...vd_awards2005/

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

There is next to nothing I could vote for in there. I agree with the duplicate titles locking out other potential winners.

For example, Hogan's Heroes S2 should easily be nominated for extras. It shouldn't be too hard getting goodies for a (relatively) recent show, but coming up with tons of stuff for a '60s show would seem a lot harder IMO.

3. Mark Talmadge

Not only that, but Friends, Magnum PI, Mash, Knight Rider, Firefly, Roswell and many others. I wonder which Television Studio is sponsoring the awards?

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Do any of them qualify?

5. Mark Talmadge

The backdrop of the awards is misleading. They say not to vote for your favourites ... but on the complete package ... while that is all true, they limited the voting requirements

Everyone's going to vote for their favourite show ...

Personally, I really think that they should have expanded the qualifications for voting for these sets and the choices for the voting poll are somewhat limited.

6. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

There was only one set in all the choices that I even own. I found it very limiting.

7. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Please keep in mind the studios have to SUBMIT the titles for the categories, and not all the studios participated.

Magnum, MASH and Night Rider have no extras, which pretty much meant they wouldn't get narrowed down to the finalists. Firefly was released before the qualifying times (Sept 1, 2004 - Aug 31, 2005).

Gord

8. Dorrie_W

Dorrie_W Stunt Coordinator

Well ya know I was surprised at the selection. Undeclared? I could have saw Freaks and Geeks nominated before that show. But like Gord said the studio should have submitted the title. I would have liked to see FUNimations Degrassi the Next Generation set nominated and BCI's He-Man Season One Volume One is awesome but it's not commercially released yet. It is even better than the best of and i didn't think that would be possible.

9. Dorrie_W

Dorrie_W Stunt Coordinator

After a closer look I am mad at this list. For 90's shows they couldn't do better than to nominated two seasons of Seinfield? Off to go vote.........

10. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Yes, this is a lackluster group of nominees.

No Smallville?? C'mon...

Smallville is one TVonDVD title that is consistently done RIGHT year after year. Great transfers, uncut episodes, all original music retained, interesting supplements and good commentaries. What a glaring omission!

On the plus side, it is nice to see that Moonlighting received a much deserved (IMO) nomination. It is a class product from start to finish and demonstrates that older programs can really shine when presented with care.

11. Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza Stunt Coordinator

No Amazing Race for Best Reality????

12. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

It didn't come out within the required timeframe.

13. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

And you know this to be the case because...?

Regards,

Joe

14. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

I agree about the choices, it is almost like the poll is being manipulated by the people setting it up....

For instance, with two Seinfeld sets nominated in Best 1990s Series against the Simpsons, there is a good chance that the Simpsons will win because Seinfeld will split the people voting for them.

Then....

In Best Animated Series, there are two Simpsons sets up against the Looney Tunes Golden Collection, it is another instance where the voted most likely will be split between the two sets of the same brand.

Then...

In Best Bonus Material, there is another instance where there are two Seinfeld sets but this time up against Alias.

I could easily see in two of the three cases that a set could win not because of its own merit, but because of the choice made to split brands in two which tells us absolutely nothing about who the real winner is.

With those slots, the long awaited Newsradio could have been nominated with over twenty commentaries, a featurette, and gag reel for Best of the 1990s and Gargoyles with commentary on five episodes and the original show pitch could have been nominated for Best Animated Series.

Paul

15. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

It wasn't submitted.

This is actually run quite well. Most industry awards are "bought" by the companies, or they simply give whoever agrees to show up the award (seriously). While I agree there are many better sets out there, they weren't submitted. Warner chose to enter one title from a given series, while Sony chose to enter more than one (Seinfeld). If the voting is split then it's their own fault. There were some companies that took part last year and didn't this year, even after they won awards in 2004.

I had to laugh at some of the submissions. I looked at them and thought, "Hold on a second...you actually thought that was a good release?!?"

Gord