What's new

VOTE: 10-12 Oscar Nominations; the missing BD's (1 Viewer)

Which of the following would you absolutely purchase as a 2K or 4K BD?

• Total voters

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Woodrow Wilson was far from a dreadful man, and very much ahead of his time. But let's not get into politics.

With a proper restoration, it would look very very good... they can do wonders with 4K these days.

I don't know whether or not he was dreadful (and in any event, who cares now?), but his decisions at the 1919 Peace Conference arbitrarily creating "nations" full of people who hated each other (Yugoslavia, Iraq, etc.) are reverberating today to the detriment of us all.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I don't know whether or not he was dreadful (and in any event, who cares now?), but his decisions at the 1919 Peace Conference arbitrarily creating "nations" full of people who hated each other (Yugoslavia, Iraq, etc.) are reverberating today to the detriment of us all.
That's a fair point. and you are also right... who cares?

In any event, I liked the movie the two times I watched it, and I would like to see it released.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'd probably purchase most or all of them, but the ones I'm most particularly interested in would be Sergeant York and Wilson. Sergeant York in particular is a superb film, one of Gary Cooper's finest (in my humble opinion). My Dad would always watch this when it was on TV and he and my mom actually went and visited the real Alvin York's home a few years ago.
As a kid, I collected Castle Films. For those not familiar, these were 8mm and Super 8 excerpts of classic older films and cartoons that amounted to about 7-9 and were distributed by Universal for Home Movie Use. So, even in the late 1960's I had "Sergeant York" within my proud collection. Sometimes, I even brought my Bell & Howell projector to grade school with my latest reels. Looking back, and for the life of me, I have no idea why the teachers approved of these interruptions to the days proceedings of class work. But they did. Additional time before and after the showings to set up and break down the equipment, screen and window shades further added to my delighted truancy from all of that hum drum classwork. My thanks to each and every teacher.;)
P.S. At this point, it would be nice to graduate to a full-length sound edition of "Sergeant York" on BD. Call me a WAC, but also one that is fully restored or cleaned up, as well.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Deleted by PMF - [Humor needed work and rewrites]

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
As a kid, I collected Castle Films. For those not familiar, these were 8mm and Super 8 excerpts of classic older films and cartoons that amounted to about 7-9 and were distributed by Universal for Home Movie Use. So, even in the late 1960's I had "Sergeant York" within my proud collection. Sometimes, I even brought my Bell & Howell projector to grade school with my latest reels. Looking back, and for the life of me, I have no idea why the teachers approved of these interruptions to the days proceedings of class work. But they did. Additional time before and after the showings to set up and break down the equipment, screen and window shades further added to my delighted truancy from all of that hum drum classwork. My thanks to each and every teacher.;)
P.S. At this point, it would be nice to graduate to a full-length sound edition of "Sergeant York" on BD. Call me a WAC, but also one that is fully restored or cleaned up, as well.:thumbs-up-smiley:

I would love Sergeant York on Blu... not because it's a Best Pic nom, but I like Gary Cooper!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I would love Sergeant York on Blu... not because it's a Best Pic nom, but I like Gary Cooper!
Plus, it's Gary Cooper's first of two Oscar wins for Best Actor; followed by "High Noon", which is available.
And lest we forget, its also an early and major entry within the John Huston canon; to which he was nominated for Original Screenplay.
Come to think of it, so was Howard Hawks, Walter Brennan, Max Steiner for Best Director, Supporting Actor and Score.
11 Nominations? It's more than just numbers; it's a collection of inarguable Hollywood legends.
But, then again, I am preaching to the choir; as we fully well know of the attributes of Sergeant York;
which is "Super-Duper".

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Looks like "Sergeant York" and "The Pride of The Yankees" are tied with the hightest votes. 23 to be exact.
If this were any indicator of what would really happen, we'd be having one Hell of a double-header on a future BD release day.
Come one, come all, HTF members;
if you haven't yet logged in your votes, WAC and others will never truly know where their numbers might stand.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
PRIDE OF THE YANKEES is up streaming in HD. I ask wac if they were going to release it and they said no info at that time. :(

Like, come on! Get with it WAC!

It seems to me (I'm ready for the onslaught) that they've been releasing extremely niche films lately. That's fine for some, but it seems to me that they'd want to release films with more appeal and ones that will make more $$$.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
PRIDE OF THE YANKEES is up streaming in HD. I ask wac if they were going to release it and they said no info at that time. :(

It seems to me (I'm ready for the onslaught) that they've been releasing extremely niche films lately. That's fine for some, but it seems to me that they'd want to release films with more appeal and ones that will make more $$$.
But would WAC release Pride of the Yankees on blu, though? Again, I thought that was a Goldwyn film, and I have yet to see WAC release any films not owned by Warner on blu (I know they released some Goldwyn films on dvd, but none that I know of on blu).

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
But would WAC release Pride of the Yankees on blu, though? Again, I thought that was a Goldwyn film, and I have yet to see WAC release any films not owned by Warner on blu (I know they released some Goldwyn films on dvd, but none that I know of on blu).
It's streaming on their streaming service, so why not release it on Blu?

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
It's streaming on their streaming service, so why not release it on Blu?
Again, I don't think Warner owns the film, so I doubt they would release it through WAC. It's been said elsewhere numerous times that just because something is available on their streaming site does not mean it is ready for blu. I just don't think we will see it (or any other Goldwyn films) on blu through WAC. Criterion, maybe, if they can license it and work on it. But not WAC.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Again, I don't think Warner owns the film, so I doubt they would release it through WAC. It's been said elsewhere numerous times that just because something is available on their streaming site does not mean it is ready for blu. I just don't think we will see it (or any other Goldwyn films) on blu through WAC. Criterion, maybe, if they can license it and work on it. But not WAC.

YES, Warner owns the film. I tweeted the Archive.

Attachments

• IMG_2641.jpg
    IMG_2641.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: PMF

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
YES, Warner owns the film. I tweeted the Archive.
Well, I don't mind being wrong in this instance, but it still remains that we are talking about a Goldwyn film, and in general, I get the impression just from what I have read on here that a lot of the Goldwyn titles are in less than stellar shape. And we are also talking about an early 40s film here too, in a year in which WAC has released one film from the 40s on blu, and Criterion has picked up the slack on the other Warner-owned 40s films. As I say, I do hope I am wrong, because I certainly would like to see it on blu, along with the two Bob Hope Goldwyn films at least (if Warner owns them too).

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
There's niche and then there's nice.
Although films like Pride of The Yankees may have more appeal to the we of me at HTF, it seems somewhat daunting to imagine that WAC could even believe such classic titles would "make more $$$" when our own membership of thousands has only a count of 23 who had cast their actual Votes. Albeit, these 23 votes remain important; especially when considering the sources of each and every vote. Nonetheless, I would imagine that we would need more votes, in order to turn the heads of those who do the actual investing and marketing of these Wish-List titles. I can't figure out why the number of votes are not higher, as this is a poll that's fun and free of charge. The hopes for higher numbers of voter turn-out is also designed for the off-chance that WAC and other distributors are seeing these counts; and to use them as a reference point of encouragement or proof that they, themselves, might gain some rightful financial returns, as well. Dedicated and impassioned as we are, our 23 core votes are not enough.
battlebeast, I trust by now that you fully well know of my equal passions for these titles; as are yours and those who also voted. But, lately, I wonder. I wonder aloud; for how can we rightfully demand of WAC and other distributors to "get with it", when our own specialized membership of 131, 982 has yet to make a showing of their interests, as well?
I love HTF to the same degree as I do film, itself; but our troops are not answering to the bugle of this thread. battlebeast and all; what fresh approaches, if any, can be reasonably utilized to bridge the gaps in favor of both sides.
Come one, come all; any suggestions?:popcorn:

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think you're reading waaaay too much into the poll participation

A large group of people don't participate in any polls (too much like cutting and pasting on FB).

Another segment might be turned off by the title (many dislike the Oscars or don't feel it's a good barometer of a film's quality)

Another segment is burnt out trying to sway the studios. Self started online polls (regardless of size) haven't been successful in the past, so many feel 'why bother'. If it happens, it happens - out of our control.

There are numerous reasons that the poll is small that are not related to demand/want

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I think you're reading waaaay too much into the poll participation

A large group of people don't participate in any polls (too much like cutting and pasting on FB).

Another segment might be turned off by the title (many dislike the Oscars or don't feel it's a good barometer of a film's quality)

Another segment is burnt out trying to sway the studios. Self started online polls (regardless of size) haven't been successful in the past, so many feel 'why bother'. If it happens, it happens - out of our control.

There are numerous reasons that the poll is small that are not related to demand/want
No arguments, there; but with one exception.
Sway or no sway to the studios, it would still be fun to know what 131,982 members would purchase.

Last edited:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I can't figure out why the number of votes are not higher, as this is a poll that's fun and free of charge.

Sorry; I voted in your previous poll that included A Night at the Opera. This time, though, I have no interest in owning any of the films you listed as options for this poll. (I would definitely purchase a BD of Ordinary People, a film which Mark-P referenced in his post on the 1st page.)

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Sorry; I voted in your previous poll that included A Night at the Opera. This time, though, I have no interest in owning any of the films you listed as options for this poll. (I would definitely purchase a BD of Ordinary People, a film which Mark-P referenced in his post on the 1st page.)
You and Mark-P have my vote for Ordinary People. Albeit, Ordinary People was not in the category of 10 or more Oscar nominations; but it is, indeed, a great argument for why a lesser number of nominations and/or wins does not equate a film of lesser power or impact. Ordinary People still resonates and has not dated at all. There isn't a flaw to be found within Robert Redford's directorial debut. Even the brief first-time appearances of the charming and ever so lovely Elizabeth McGovern remains pitch-perfect. My only bad memory of this film was the date I took to it in 1980; as she couldn't stop talking about Timothy Hutton. By the end of the evening, you would swear that he had tagged along with us and had become a third-wheel to our night out. I mean, she actually thought she had some kind of chance with him. Nonetheless, the film was so good that I went to see it again a couple of weeks, later. And that time around was gladly without her.:D
Ordinary People would be a Day One purchase for me.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My math was wrong. I had claimed that there were 131,982 HTF members who had not yet voted.
This has now proven not to be so, as I forgot to deduct the 25 who have.
The true figure of remaining voters is at 131, 957; so, therefore, things are looking up.:D

P.S.
Well, gee whiz, I've got to do something to entertain myself, while waiting for Godot, Lefty and Criterion's OCN and 4K scan of "The Philadelphia Story"; right?:lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks