VOTE: 10-12 Oscar Nominations; the missing BD's

Which of the following would you absolutely purchase as a 2K or 4K BD?

• Total voters

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw Wilson in a 3-strip Technicolor nitrate print from Fox's vault. Shamroy's work was stunning, but since the original elements have been lost, you will never see anything resembling the magnificent cinematography. The current print showing at TCM makes me weep and I had to turn it off after a few minutes.
Besides that, Wilson is really a dreary film about a dreadful man.
I'd buy a BD if the elements were restored from the OCN, but we all know that was junked.

Reactions: PMF

battlebeast

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Woodrow Wilson was far from a dreadful man, and very much ahead of his time. But let's not get into politics.

With a proper restoration, it would look very very good... they can do wonders with 4K these days.

LeoA

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I voted for Pride of The Yankees since I was afraid that it would be on the low side in the poll (So I was quite pleased to see it actually leading the pack after I had cast my vote), but I can't pick just one.

The Pride of The Yankees. Sergeant York, and Going My Way would all be day 1 purchases.

Last edited:

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Rick
Either the membership of this forum has exponentially shrunk, or very few people are bothering to respond to this thread. That's everyone's choice to make, but it would be fun (if for no other reason than to see how classic films are trending in popularity here) if there was more participation.

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
I saw Wilson in a 3-strip Technicolor nitrate print from Fox's vault. Shamroy's work was stunning, but since the original elements have been lost, you will never see anything resembling the magnificent cinematography. The current print showing at TCM makes me weep and I had to turn it off after a few minutes.
I'd buy a BD if the elements were restored from the OCN, but we all know that was junked.
How lucky to have seen a 3-strip of "Wilson". With no such reference, even the TCM version reveals how fantasitc it could had been; were only the original elements available. Clearly, I'm in denial that better elements are non-existent. It's those rarified moments like the finding of the OCN from "The Philadelphia Story" that leaves one holding out hope. At this point, "Wilson" holds only my interests purely from the cinematography aspect.

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
I voted for Pride of The Yankees since I was afraid that it would be on the low side in the poll (So I was quite pleased to see it actually leading the pack after I had cast my vote), but I can't pick just one.

The Pride of The Yankees. Sergeant York, and Going My Way would all be day 1 purchases.
And that's the beauty of this and the AFI polls, as we don't have to be limited to just one vote. It's all in the hopeful possibilities that Criterion, WAC, TT, et al are viewing these votes and might be encouraged, by knowing well in advance exactly which of their financial investments might be made back, based on the percentages and votes.

Last edited:

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
Either the membership of this forum has exponentially shrunk, or very few people are bothering to respond to this thread. That's everyone's choice to make, but it would be fun (if for no other reason than to see how classic films are trending in popularity here) if there was more participation.
Especially since the polls never close and all voting is for free.:thumbs-up-smiley:

tns49

Agent
Real Name
Timothy
Currently, "Wilson" has received the 2nd lowest number of votes. 8 to be exact. This low number intrigues me, being that it won the Oscar for Cinematography. One of 4 career Oscars for Leon Shamroy, actually. With TT's "Leave Her to Heaven" selling out and everyone digging the BD of his "Cleopatra", it seems that the vote for this flick remains lukewarm. I wonder why? Feedback welcomed.
I think many of us never saw it. I never remember even hearing of it.

Tom Jones Won 4 and had 6 additional nominations and so is missing in action.
Bugsy won 2 and 8 additional and I don't see a Blu-ray
Roman Holiday is currently missing with some rumors about a release
Sayonara is not out yet but is coming this year.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw a gorgeous DCP of Roman Holiday. Paramount is holding up a BD release of this and A Place in the Sun (also available as a DCP, which I have seen).
Tom Jones is a delight romp. I was 13 when it came out and I enjoyed every minute of it.
I also enjoyed Bugsy. Great Morricone score.
Sayonara is another inflated, overrated Logan effort. Interracial romances. The Crimson Kimono does it better.

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
As stated in the introduction (Post #1), I omitted "Tom Jones" due to its word-on-the-street status as being sadly and regretfully beyond repair. But, as I also wrote, I am open to corrections on that front and dearly hope that I am in error.
"Sayonara" was not a part of the vote, simply for the fact that it is soon to be released through TT; a Day-One purchase for me.
"A Place in the Sun" and "Roman Holiday" received 9 nominations - not 10 - but obviously both are coveted; especially in light of its recent 4K restoration. Nonetheless, both are Paramount, who seems to be MIA in the BD market; so why waste our energies on the vote?
"Bugsy". I stand corrected. Somehow I thought that, surely, this one had made it to BD. I was wrong and would wish to add it to the Polls for voting; but that could only be arranged by the powers of HTF, if they could - with my permission - somehow break-in and add this title to the header chart as:
"Bugsy" (1991) - Tri Star

Last edited:

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
The topic of Paramount and their lack of BD output is certainly present within many various threads, h ere at HTF. Still, it would be informative to have a few members familiar with this situation to re-address the variables of why, upon this thread, as "Roman Holiday" has been often brought up. Consequently, be it here or within other threads, so has Paramount's 4K restorations of both A Place in the Sun and Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo & Juliet; to which many would be glad to own on BD, as well. A bit off-topic, yes; but worthwhile as a side-bar and having it all placed in context, for those unfamiliar with Paramount's current activities and/or stances.

Last edited:

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
I'm disappointed that THE TURNING POINT didn't get more love. I just want to see it released again!
Agreed.
Here we have a double nomination for Best Actress; between Shirley MacLaine and Anne Bancroft.
There is also Herbert Ross, a director twice nominated against himself within the same year for both this and "The Goodbye Girl"
The capturing of Mikhail Baryshnikov in flight, as photographed by the diversely great Robert Surtees;
a 3-time Oscar winner whose work on this film led to his 15th nomination out of a career 16.
And then we have the work of William Reynolds, who was just a minor editor rumored to have worked on "The Sound of Music", "The Godfather" and "The Sting"; but, then again, what did this man know about putting together a good story on film, anyway?:rolleyes:

Reactions: battlebeast

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
Regarding WILSON: The film was a box office flop when it came out, perhaps because war weary audiences didn't want to go see a film dealing with a previous war. I saw it once on TV in the 70's and hadn't come across it much since, but I did see a screening of it a decade or more ago at AMPAS's "Great to Be Nominated" series of films. I don't know details of the print we saw, but I thought it was spectacular.

I don't think the film is dreary at all. It's entertaining in the grand style of studio biographical pictures. That means it's all on the favorable side of a many sided person. I don't think that disqualifies a film. FIlms aren't entire histories. It seems that currently people look back at history and unless someone was absolutely perfect, and who is, they are to be tarnished, without anything else taken into consideration, or, on the other hand, it's felt they need to be portrayed with equal amounts of their good and bad sides. I always recommend that people view some of the PBS American Experience documentaries about various Presidents. You'll come away thinking some of the ones you didn't like weren't totally as bad as you thought and the ones you thought were saints, weren't either.

The film, Wilson, deservedly won 5 of it's 10 Oscar nominations. You'd think the film might have been offered up on blu-ray since it's been a 100 years since the primary events of the film story and that could be used as a marketing tool.

battlebeast

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Regarding WILSON: The film was a box office flop when it came out, perhaps because war weary audiences didn't want to go see a film dealing with a previous war. I saw it once on TV in the 70's and hadn't come across it much since, but I did see a screening of it a decade or more ago at AMPAS's "Great to Be Nominated" series of films. I don't know details of the print we saw, but I thought it was spectacular.

I don't think the film is dreary at all. It's entertaining in the grand style of studio biographical pictures. That means it's all on the favorable side of a many sided person. I don't think that disqualifies a film. FIlms aren't entire histories. It seems that currently people look back at history and unless someone was absolutely perfect, and who is, they are to be tarnished, without anything else taken into consideration, or, on the other hand, it's felt they need to be portrayed with equal amounts of their good and bad sides. I always recommend that people view some of the PBS American Experience documentaries about various Presidents. You'll come away thinking some of the ones you didn't like weren't totally as bad as you thought and the ones you thought were saints, weren't either.

The film, Wilson, deservedly won 5 of it's 10 Oscar nominations. You'd think the film might have been offered up on blu-ray since it's been a 100 years since the primary events of the film story and that could be used as a marketing tool.
I agree 100%.

The Fox archive release wasn't the greatest, but welcome as an official release.

It's too bad Fox didn't give it's titles to Warner Archive to release... :/

Reactions: MartinP.

tns49

Agent
Real Name
Timothy
As stated in the introduction (Post #1), I omitted "Tom Jones" due to its word-on-the-street status as being sadly and regretfully beyond repair. But, as I also wrote, I am open to corrections on that front and dearly hope that I am in error.
"Sayonara" was not a part of the vote, simply for the fact that it is soon to be released through TT; a Day-One purchase for me.
"A Place in the Sun" and "Roman Holiday" received 9 nominations - not 10 - but obviously both are coveted; especially in light of its recent 4K restoration. Nonetheless, both are Paramount, who seems to be MIA in the BD market; so why waste our energies on the vote?
"Bugsy". I stand corrected. Somehow I thought that, surely, this one had made it to BD. I was wrong and would wish to add it to the Polls for voting; but that could only be arranged by the powers of HTF, if they could - with my permission - somehow break-in and add this title to the header chart as:
"Bugsy" (1991) - Tri Star
There are rumors that Criterion will be releasing Tom Jones.

I see 10 nominations for Roman Holiday. Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress(won), Best Supporting Actor, Best Writing (story)(won), Best Writing (screenplay), Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design (won), Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, and Best Film Direction.

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
There are rumors that Criterion will be releasing Tom Jones.

I see 10 nominations for Roman Holiday. Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress(won), Best Supporting Actor, Best Writing (story)(won), Best Writing (screenplay), Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design (won), Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, and Best Film Direction.
True, again. I double-checked the AMPAS Database, but one could agree at a glance that Best Story and Best Screenplay could be confused, as Best Story is no longer a category; along with the long note attached in brackets about Dalton Trumbo.
So, again, it would be great if the Moderators could break into their own computer system and add "Tom Jones" and "Roman Holiday" to the Voting options; restorations or not, Paramount or not. Let's place our energies towards all of these important films seeing the BD light of day.:thumbs-up-smiley:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'd probably purchase most or all of them, but the ones I'm most particularly interested in would be Sergeant York and Wilson. Sergeant York in particular is a superb film, one of Gary Cooper's finest (in my humble opinion). My Dad would always watch this when it was on TV and he and my mom actually went and visited the real Alvin York's home a few years ago.

Reactions: RMajidi and PMF

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
July