voom pvr info (upcoming in 2005)...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ted Lee, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey all, i emailed voom and asked them if they had any plans to release a pvr-based receiver. here is a direct quote from them. just thought some of you may want to know...
    if i can get hd/pvr/voom for a reasonable amount (definitely less then the 1k directv wants for their hd-tivo box)...then this may be a good option for me. finally getting into hd after having my 65" for over a year would be nice. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Investing in a VOOM PVR seems like a losing proposition given their lack of long-term reliability. Cablevision has already cancelled the proposed spin-off of the company and can only fund the money-pit for so long...

3. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I was thinking the same thing as Don said, although Cablevision just released their HD-DVR for iO, so the VOOM DVR will probably be very similar to that.

4. Dennis C. Wallace

Dennis C. Wallace Auditioning

I don't think the PVR will be on the market until next fall or winter of 2005.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

interesting don. is voom tv losing money? if so, then that's something i'll have to definitely consider...

6. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

Losing money, losing customers...the whole service is in total shambles.

Everyone from the top to the bottom in that company is screwed up. Over on Satelliteguys.us look under my username Eric_C and you'll see what I went through with Voom.

Read the last Cablevision investor CC, that will tell you more than enough about Voom to stay very far away and I doubbt you'll see a PVR at all.

7. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
  8. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    This was posted on the Satellite Guys web site:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 20, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) announced today that it has agreed to purchase certain satellite assets from Rainbow DBS Co., a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC), for $200 million.

Specifically, EchoStar has agreed to purchase Rainbow 1, a direct broadcast satellite (DBS) located at 61.5 degrees West Longitude, together with the rights to 11 DBS frequencies at that location. The satellite includes 13 frequencies, up to 12 of which can be operated in "spot beam" mode.

The EchoStar III satellite also located at 61.5 degrees West Longitude broadcasts DISH Network TV programming to hundreds of thousands of consumers today using DBS spectrum controlled by EchoStar at that location. EchoStar is assessing how the Rainbow satellite's flexibility can best be utilized to enhance DISH Network's existing service. Also, as part of the transaction with Cablevision, EchoStar will acquire ground facilities and related assets in Black Hawk, S.D. The transaction is subject to review by the Federal Communications Commission and other regulatory agencies.

Is this good or bad for DISH customers? What will happen to VOOM customers?

9. Jamey Karr

Jamey Karr Auditioning

I bought at DVD Recorder last night, I've ordered Voom and I'm cancelling my DISH Network service. If Echostar buys them, it's fine with me. I live in a city with ONE HD station and I want HD channels to watch.

I'm was waiting on VOOM's PVR but a Echostar unit will do just fine. DISH is great....I just don't want to pay what they are asking for their complete service.

10. Nick

Nick Second Unit

I just bought HDTV set for my parents and they can only get about 6 or seven HDTV channels off the air from the built-in tuner. They have dishnetwork and they would have to spend more money to buy new dish and new receiver from Dishnetwork in order to get HD channels from them and I thought may I'd go with Voom since they have ten times more channels than dish network. When I sign up as a new customer I don't have to pay much. They have $1.00 installation fee.
    Well, I signed up with them online and I have to call to make an appointment for the installation. They refused to let me make an appointment since I signed up under my mother's name. I told them I can't put her on the phone because I'm at my place. I told them that she can't speak english that good and I was told to do this for her.. still they want to speak to her. So, I called my mom back and she just said forget it. We'll stick with Dishnetwork for now..
    So, I call back and believe it or not I got the same girl I talked to earlier on the other end(Must be a very small office) I told her that I just want to cancel the whole thing and the funny thing is. She let me cancel the service without my mom's authorization but she won't let me make an intallation appointment. Does that make sense. No wonder why they're not doing so good.

11. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

Got word today that VOOM is shutting down. They will be gone by the end of March.

Cablevision's VOOM deal falls through

Copyright 2005 TheStreet.com, Inc.

TheStreet.com

March 1, 2005 Tuesday 8:43 AM Eastern Time

By TSC Staff

>From Lexis Nexis

A last-ditch plan to sell the satellite television operation VOOM fell
    through when Cablevision (CVC:NYSE) said sale negotiations broke down with
    investors led by its chairman, Chuck Dolan.

VOOM, which is in the process of selling its satellite to EchoStar
    (DISH:Nasdaq), will be closed. Its remaining assets were 21 high-definition
    television channels and various licenses and customer agreements.

Cablevision will provide the VOOM service to current customers during a
    month-long transition. It will try to help the unit's employees find jobs
    elsewhere at Cablevision.

When reported in early February, the VOOM negotiations sparked some
    appreciation in shares of Cablevision, which had warned of shutdown costs if
    VOOM was closed. The sale agreement had previously been described as
    tentative and contingent on the group, which also included Chuck Dolan's son
    Tom, securing financing.

The deadline for a definitive agreement was Monday.

Cablevision closed Monday at $31.06, up 25% for 2005.

...from Bob Matzner, K1IHY