What's new

Voom HDTV (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I finally stepped up to the plate. I have a install scheduled for Tuesday morning. I just went with one box.
I currently subscribe to Dish for SDTV, which is good quality, but no prospect of HDTV without cost since I am a current customer. The best I could get out of them was to sell me the HDTV receiver for $99 and then add $10 to my monthly bill which is already $74.
I was told at one point that Voom will upgrade those with a lease to the PVR when it comes out and discount it for those who own a box... I hope they weren't blowing smoke!
I look forward to Voom but will keep my Dish for a month to make a decision on which I like better. I don't know if I can live without a PVR though! I hope Voom gets going on the PVR!

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
I asked VOOM about the lack of sports programming...

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Where are the sports? I am in the market for satellite service and VOOM sound...

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Jerimiah W.) - 07/25/2004 10:00 PM
Thank you for contacting VOOM.
We are currently in contract negotiations with several networks. Once those are complete, we will begin offering those programming choices to our subscribers. While at this time I don't have any specific information on any certain channel or type of programming, I can recommend you visit our web site and sign up for email updates. That way you will be contacted with the latest VOOM developments, as they become available. If you have any further questions please give us a call at 1-800-GET-VOOM and once again thank you for contacting VOOM - HDTV Delivered!
Joseph T. Grant
VOOM Email Support

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Voom not available in most parts of Coeur d'Alene /Post Falls Idaho! (Perhaps even Spokane Washington too)

I had an install scheduled for this morning. The installer was very prompt, but had bad news:
Only 1 of every 4 installs are possible in my area of the Pacific Northwest. I guess the satellite is too low in the Eastern sky to get. Well, needless to say, I am very bummed.

I am off to find an alternative. My 57" Toshiba Cinema Series is going to waste. I currently have Dish Network. Been with them for 6 years now. They won't let me get HD without paying a high price for the receiver so I am going to investigate DirecTV. My local cable company, Adelphia, does not offer HD in my area yet. According to the installer, I can only get about 4 OTA HD channels. BUT, I need a box for that too!

Any suggestions for my "next best thing"?

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
That's great if they bring in the SciFi channel soon. Does anyone know if The Fox News Channel is offered or The History Channel? I've got to have my FNC.

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like I will finally join you Voom users.

I had signed up for it way back in December or January but decided against it after all the problems I was reading on installs, software, etc. It was a bit too pricey then to dump $1200 into.

With the promised DVR coming I was trying to hold out for it until I cancelled my cable service. Then charter truly ticked me off. After being a "charter" member of the HD service and paying for it when there was only one or two HD channels. Now they finally have approx 6 channels but they have moved Discovery HD & ESPN HD (which I hounded them for forever) to a premium HD tier and make you pay a separate amount for them. I burst a gasket & ordered Voom the same day I found out about this.

The Voom guy said that it should be a free upgrade to the DVR when it comes out. I set my install for August 3rd so I hope everything goes well. I have never had satellite before so I don't have any old antennas, connections, etc so I hope that does not hurt the ease of the coming install.

Now if they would just get HGTV for the wife everything would be perfect

David Judah

Screenwriter
Eric,

I came across this article that Voom won a bid for some orbital positions that would allow them to better cover the West. I don't know how soon they'll be up and running, but you might call Voom and ask them if you're interested in their service.

From the article:
July 15, 2004

Cablevision Systems Corp. yesterday won the bidding for two orbital slots that could help fill a gap in its Voom nationwide satellite TV service. The two orbital positions would allow satellites to reach mainly the West Coast.
Karl,

Both FNC and The History Channel are offered now. FNC, for some reason, has an audio level that is lower than most of the other channels. Voom is aware of it and is working to fix it. It's not a big poblem, but you do have to adjust the volume when you switch between it and other channels.

Brian,

I too got pissed at the cable company(Comcast)where I had HD service and cancelled it to get Voom. I have been so much happier with Voom's service. There are a few minor problems, but nothing unreasonable, IMO. Enjoy.

DJ

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Are the non-HD channels on Voom still stretched/cropped to fake widescreen? I'd rather have them in 4:3 480i/p so that I can choose my own aspect ratio control.

David Judah

Screenwriter
There is an adjustment in the menu of the Motorola Box that lets you stretch or pillar-box the 4:3 material, Michael. Incidently, for those with 4:3 sets, there are options to crop, letterbox, or squeeze, widescreen material.

DJ

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the information David. That backs up what the original installer told me. He said, as much as six months ago, Voom has been trying to get another position in the sky and/or use another satellite. He said it hasn't happened yet. I'll email or call Voom to find out.
I did recontact Voom and they are sending out another tech to do a detailed site survey. If they find I can get Voom in any way, they will send the original installer back out.
In the mean time, I will be picking up my Dish HD box today. I will drop that like a hot potato if I can get Voom though!
Thanks again,
Eric

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I've had Voom since March and I love it. Although the box is still kind of buggy the amount of HD programming they provide, at least for me, makes up for it. And I'm sure the bugs will eventually be worked out. Plus, I get every local OTA channel. Now, I just wish they would add the Sci-Fi and USA channels. Fortunately, my HOA dues includes cable so I get those and all the other SD channels that Voom doesn't carry.

If anyone is still on the fence, I say give it a try before the $0 down no commiment deal expires.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks David , for the info, I didn't even know you can still get OTA channels too, that's great!! With so much being offered with VOOM , the cable companies have got to be hurting,lol!

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
I just installed my Dish 811 receiver while I wait for Voom to see if I can receive it here... The DiscoveryHD Theater channel is so clear!! This makes me want HD even more! Going back to SD is painful... hehe

Although clear, I'm thinking Dish isn't a very good deal YET, because, at $9.99 extra, I only get 5 HD channels, of which I may watch 2.

I called Voom to verify my appointment for a new site survey and they had cancelled my second call!! There was some confusion since I rescheduled on the same day the first guy came out, so they cancelled the folow-up for a "duplicate install request"... Now they want to charge me $45 if the second attempt says "no line of site"... I argued the first installer didn't even attempt a real survey by going on the roof, moving to the other side of the yard, etc AND it was their fault the second install was cancelled, not mine...

Voom told me they would "take care of it" and I am now re-re-scheduled. A different installer is supposed to call me (again)...
If I eventually get Voom, I will post. Thanks!

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I am still waiting to join you Voomers.

My install appt was set for this Tuesday but the guy came out & advised that I have a bad line of sight problem due to trees in my yard & also my neighbor's yard. Voom points SE and there are quite a few limbs & leaves in the way.

Of course I would have a perfectly clear place for DirectTv or Dish since they point SW. :frowning:

The installer did not push any certain satellite but did say that Voom was more sensitive than Direct & Dish and the blowing leaves could really affect it since they are so thick where the satellite needs to point.

I checked the HD content for Dish & Direct and I am not impressed. Same prices as Voom for a fifth of the channels (HD-wise). I talked with my neighbor & he said that he did not mind if I pay a guy to trim the trees so I am actually going to look into that. If Direct or Dish had better HD content, I would not even worry with it.

I called Voom and they were very nice about the situation & advised that I could take as much time as needed and still get the July special pricing on programming & installation. Hopefully I will be Vooming soon.

People with Voom...how sensitive is your satellite? Do you have problems with trees, leaves, rain, etc? He also noted that where I need it point would be under my rain gutters of my house which he said was not a good idea either so I will probably pay the extra $30 for a pole install.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks