What's new

Voom HDTV (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
The movies on HBO, and Showtime look great upconverted. It looks like a really good dvd, I can deal with that.

Voom just called me for a to do a survey of why I cancelled. I told them it was because my trees were blocking the reception.

The survey lasted about 25 mins. But what was interesting was that she asked me where did I hear of Voom. And I told her the Home Theater Forum (plug ;) ). So maybe Voom may contact Ron or Parker about a advertisement oppurtunity. You never know.

If they do, will I get some sort of plug commission, huh? Ron?...Packy?...(tap, tap) Is this thing on? (;) )

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
LaMarcus,

Thank You for the plug. Much appreciated.
If they contact us beacause of you I'll throw
you an initial bonus.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
The upconverting on the Voom channels is done from 35mm and deppending on the quality of hte original 35mm film that will determine how good it looks.

Alot of the original Voom movies look decent to excellent, but again some of these movies are 50 years old.

The other content comes from the provider. I'm watching Tears Of The Sun on StarzHD right now and its amazing quality, probably one of the best things I've seen in HD.

Voom has its problems, but then again it also is so far and above what DTV or Dish has to offer.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
LaMarcus,

Thank You for the plug. Much appreciated.
If they contact us beacause of you I'll throw
you an initial bonus.
Sweet!! I'm gonna have to call them get a new subscription and let their advertising department know it was only because of HTF that I'm getting the service. And hopefully they won't say "Who cares punk, beat it"

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
i'm very curious as to how this works/appears. it seems to me that if the source material wasn't *originally* filmed in hd, then i wouldn't be seeing that great of a picture when it's simply *broadcast* in hd???
Most movies and episode television series are shot on film, and 35mm film offers considerably higher resolution than HD.

Scott A. Pope

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have any insight on VOOM getting some decent sports coverage or packages? The NHL has really supported HD and MLB is following along. A decent sports package would get my business immediately, until then I'll watch VOOM develop from the sidelines.

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
Just had Voom installed yesterday and so far I have noticed that it is harder to navigate than DTV. If I want to scroll down between the channels and take too long to decide, the scroll screen at the bottom disappears. Also, I can’t use the scroll feature and jump to a different channel all together, I have to do that by pressing the voom button and then selecting a particular channel. I know its new and I will eventually get used to it but another issue I have noticed is that some movies titles in the yellow cannot be read very well. Sometimes the l and I which is L and I are covered with yellow and are hard to read. I can’t figure how to change the color or even if I can.

On a side note, I think I am a little disheartened because I lost the quite a bit of channels including the Food Network.

If anyone can offer me solace with good news coming down the pike I would really appreciate it.

Mike
:frowning:

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Michael,

The Voom Program Guide Sucks...Voom Customer Service REALLY Sucks...Rain Fade Sucks and is a huge issue...

But we still have it, cannot beat the PQ and even for the complaints about upconverting its nice to see everything in 16x9, if you order everything from DTV or Dish then Voom is a no brainer, if your a 50 dollar per month package person then you have to weigh the two against each other.

For 90 per month to get everything, including alot of premium hd's you don't get elsewhere is a steal, and that includes putting up with alot of BS Voom brings.

New channels are supposed to be coming August 2nd, including Sci Fi I hope, and USA.

Sci Fi is a biggy for me and I really hope they add it.

FWIW the PG is supposed to be upgraded with the new software that will be downloaded onto the box, we've only been waiting 6 months for it...there is a good Voom forum on www.satelliteguy.us also.

Michael_Victor

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I ordered all through DTV as well as VA VA VOOM and am paying slightly more through voom because of the 2 extra rentals for the boxes. As long as there is light at the end of the tunnel, I am fine. Did you find it equally as hard to nav through the PG of voom when you first got it?

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Sorry spelled it wrong :)

You do end up with more premium channels I believe with VaVaVoom than DTV or Dish, especially in HD.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I just got Voom installed today. I was a little worried from reading some of the installation horror stories around the web, but the guys who came out were very good and efficient. All the channels, including locals, popped up right away and integrating it in my system was a breeze.

It came installed with the new 6.0 software and I haven't found it to be a pain to navigate through the different menus, despite some of the things I've heard. I absolutely love the picture quality of the better HD stuff. It's much better, IMO, than both Dish and Direct. So far, I'm very satisfied.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that none of the glitches I've heard about rear their ugly heads. Now all I need to do is to figure how to integrate it with my Replay TV, since Replay doesn't support Voom.

DJ

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Can I "block" The non-HD channels so that I only run across the HD stuff when channel surfing? I have the boring channels blocked on my VCR (using as a cable box), can I do it to VOOM?

Theres nothing worse than thumbing "channel +" a kajillion times while snippets of boring tennis, pirate church lady, and home shopping slowoly decrease your remaining lifespan.

David Judah

Screenwriter
You can use the "Voom HDTV delivered" button on the main menu and only the Voom exclusives will come up, the "All HD" which lists only HD programs, or you can do what I did and just put all the HD channels, including locals, in the "Favorites" menu.

DJ

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
It's VOOM for me! Here's my VOOM vs. DirecTV review. I read up on posts @ SatelliteGuys forums w/regard to both programming & installation/hardware. I currently have DirecTV (HD package & HBO-HD) & I'm using a Sony HD300 via DVI to my Panasonic PT-AE500U projector w/a 100" DIY matte-white screen. After evaluating both in terms of programming & hardware, I've decided to keep VOOM & cancel DirecTV. Here's how it broke down for me (your mileage may vary):

VOOM plusses:
  • "HDTV Delivered" for sure. The most HD channels & programming, no contest
  • HDCinema10 shows my type of older movies
  • I love RaveHD, which shows terrific concerts, & EquatorHD is like having another DiscoveryHDTheater. MonstersHD shows fun B-flicks. HDNews is a fairly good CNN HeadlineNews type offering
  • HBO-HD East & West
  • About as many SD channels as DirecTV
  • Current $0 down/equipment rental offer is excellent
  • OTA antenna w/installation
  • Picture quality is mostly excellent & most channels have DD5.1 audio
  • Clear commitment to HD
VOOM minusses:
  • Poor installation--your experience may be better
  • The Motorola box gets a B-. Many lock-ups, picture pixellates when changing channels, & OTA sensitivity isn't as good as the latest LG/Zenith/Sony STBs. Also not as well-designed & fewer useful features (no manual timer, no signal strength on remote, etc.)
  • No HDNet & HDNet Movies. I'll miss the latter a little
DirecTV plusses:
  • HD picture quality slightly better than VOOM's
  • HDNet & HDNet Movies, both unavailable on VOOM
  • CBS-DT & upcoming FOX-DT--no locals (SD or HD) on VOOM
DirecTV minusses:
  • Too few HD channels/programming--no TNT-HD or BravoHD+ yet. Also no exclusive HD channels like VOOM
  • More committed to SD & locals than HD
I'm not really interested in a HD-DVR, but it matters to some. DirecTV has one, but VOOM not yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks