What's new

Von Trier's DOGVILLE (1 Viewer)

Arman

Screenwriter
Wow! It has one of the most powerful short movie trailers that I've seen in a while. Manderlay seems to be as compelling (and should create more controversy) as Dogville.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
If I could only see one movie this year it would be Manderlay. But I assume, just like with Dogville, that it won't be released in the US until almost a year after its debut. An r2 DVD should be out before then, I will probably just go ahead and buy instead of waiting like last time since the r1 DVD of Dogville turned out to be inferior to the r2 Danish set.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Wow! Awesome trailer. Dogville was one of my favorites, and this looks right up there!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I also saw it on DVD first. Not that I wouldn't pay to see it in the theater, but come on already, this is a major market. Stop treating the US like an afterthought with some of these films.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
It was definitely Hurt in Dogville, and it certainly sounds like him in the Manderlay trailer as well.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I saw Dogville on Sundance this week. I'm going to give Von Trier the benefit of the doubt and pretend his film is more universal than an attack on Americans, because I could write quite an angry screed about how simple minded and off that mark that would be.

What's left is his cartoonish view of human nature. People aren't this hateful, and even though the characters are an exaggeration to make the point, it is so extreme that it loses all meaning. People are scum, fine, although in this case it's largely because Grace makes sure everyone has the wrong assumptions until it is too late and therefore convenient for the plot. Humanity is not illuminated here, only Von Trier's misanthropy.

"Sadistic excess attempts to reach roughly and by harshness what art reaches by fineness." -Percy Wynham Lewis

The sparse sets are pretty much a wash between their pretension and their valid uses as mentioned in this thread. They didn't bother me. (Except when actors mimed opening doors.)

I'll see Manderlay eventually.:rolleyes

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I guess this is the main Dogville thread? Couldn't find another one when I searched...

One of the nice things about doing any online rental thing is the rather large selection. I currently use Blockbuster due to their faster shipping where I live and the recent deal to take in onlines to the store for a free rental. Great deal.

I've already seen some wonderful films since joining BB and also for doing some more extensive searching for other HTF member's top 10 lists for years past. One that I never saw was Dogville. I think...I finally figured out what picture was now on Seth's sig for so long! I'm a genius.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Dogville. Wow. This was NOT what I was expecting. Such a disturbing and yet thought provoking film. Excellent acting. (Did anyone get an Oscar nom for this?). Nicole Kidman was terrific as was everyone. John Hurt's narration kept it rolling along and added to the mystic if you will.

A bit long, but still effective. At times, it was hard to watch the cruelty...really made me upset. Didn't see the ending coming at all but again it was effective and even after 2 days later, I still haven't quite absorbed it all and what it's supposed to mean. Perhaps time and even a repeat viewing will shed more light.

9.5/10 :)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Glad you enjoyed the film, Tim. I need to watch this again. The James Cann-Nic Kidman dialogue scene at the end is some of the most electrifying dialogue I've ever heard, really DIAlogue in the true sense of the word. That the Caan character is able to pretty strongly justify the climax to Kidman, and thus in part the audience, is incredible. I had to rewind it the first time I saw it, just unbelievable stuff. And the use of the bowie song over the credits...wow.

Has anyone seen Manderlay, and if so, how does it compare?

Regards,
Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks