What's new

Von Schweikert's new VR2 any one know about them? (1 Viewer)

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
I have listened to quite a few systems in the past year, trying to figure out what I want. I love the VR4 SE's but there a bit big for my wall area that is already taken up space by a 65 inch TV.
I was curious if anyone other then me has any knowledge about these new towers and or about there speakers in general. Here is the website http://www.vonschweikert.com/

Cheers
Mike

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Aside from my VMPS Ribbons, they are some of the better speakers I have heard.

When well set up they offer excellent imaging, balanced frequency response, and great dynamics. For cone speakers they are some of the best and most accurate.

Regards,

John

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
Hey John. I thought so to about the Von's but have not heard the new VR 2's that came out recently. I would get them if I knew how they sound..

Thanks for your response
Cheers
Mike

SC Trojan

Agent
Real Name
Gary
john,

are you a dealer for VSA? if so, have you compared the VR-1s with any of the vmps monitors- 626??

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hi Mark and Hey Gary,

I haven't heard the VR2 yet either but have spend a few hours in front of the VR4. Now remember I have RM40s and to my listening preferences the ribbons provide the best satisfaction to me.

Gary, I haven't heard a direct comparison of the VR1s to the 626Rs, but again I know the characteristics of the two.

I might compare the VR1 more to the Onix Ref 1 in size and general capability. That would be an interesting face off.

The 626R is twice the size and also has the detail, resolution and limited room interaction of the Ribbons.

The VR2 is probably between the RM1 and RM2 Speakers although it is substantially lighter than both (VR2=66#, RM1=100# and RM2=126#)

But if one is looking for a non-ribbon sound, the VSA line should be on their list.

Regards,

John

SC Trojan

Agent
Real Name
Gary
john,

I got a set of Vr-1s, so if you want to do a comparison, let me know. Funny thing is that 3 speakers that look very similar and are all made in china- onix ref1, VR-1 and quad 12L. All the speakers are similar in woofer size, finish quality and price range.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I have heard the Von Schweikert VR3.5's vs. B&W CDM9t's and Nautilus 803's, and in both cases the 3.5's won out. Better sonic clarity, depth, soundstage, imaging, and realism. I found the tweeter on the NT to be very dull and veiled when compared to the 3.5, and the nautilus tweeter sounded a little too analytical and forward. Mind you, this is not the VR2, but coming from experience with other VS models, they make great speakers.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Chung or Mike,
How do the VR3.5's compare to the VR4SE? Have you heard the VR4 SE? I have the VR3.5's/LCR35/TS350/S/3/Servo 15a set-up in a 7.1 system. My listening area is 7500 + cubic ft. and I think I need more woofer surface for the front 3 speakers. I know the VR4SE have a response from 16hz to 40KHZ truly full range. I did notice that the VR2's have a larger woofer than the VR3.5's and a lower response.
On another note,when I came home tonight my wife had on the Celine Dion Live from Las Vegas special and I had to smile when I heard her voice through the VSA system. Alberts voicing of these speakers is truly outstanding!

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
Hey Steve. The VR4SE is the best speaker I have ever heard bar none. I don't enjoy classical music at all, but this made me want to listen to it, just because of how pure and light it made the music sound. I have heard lots of speakers in the past year, but nothing like the VR4SE. If I had room I would get them.

Cheers
Mike

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Mike,
When I upgraded my system from the Paradigm Reference line,( Studio 100's/cc/ADP's/Active 20's) I spent 8 months auditioning speakers from Dallas to Houston. In all over 30 lines. I even listened to the Watt puppies. I had it narrowed down to the Dynaudio Contour T2 and matching 7.1 system.At that time no one carried the VSA line in a 500 mile area. Someone saw my post and invited me to his house to audition the VSA VR5 and the VR3.5 and system. I first went and auditioned the Dynaudio to get a good feel of their performance then drove to his house. After 5 minutes of listening to the Vr3.5's and LCR35 I knew that my look for new speakers were over. He did not have the new TS350 surrounds but the older model but it still was quite seamless for 5.1. The clarity and accuracy of these speakers rival electrostatic speakers in a cone format. The realism is what they are known for! I am debating due to my large room on whether to upgrade to the VR4 SE and LCR40. Does anyone know if the older VR4.5 would be a upgrade or down grade from the VR3.5's? Thanks for the response.:)
Steve

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
Hey Steve, The VR 4.5 is an upgrade and the new VR4.5 is now an SE special edition, and I VERY HIGHLY recommend them to someone who has the room. I have never heard a speaker that was as clear and nice as that. It was shocking for the price.

Cheers
Mike

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Can I chime in here about the VR-4s? With their frequency response down to 16 HZ, would one still need to buy a separate sub for HT listening? Are there specific matching HT speakers for these, or will any of the VSA line match just fine?

A quick one for the VR2s. Will they be better than the VR 3.5s seeing that they have a larger frequency differential? I noticed that the line goes up in number when going up in quality.

Does anyone know anything about the VR-4 Jrs?

I just heard of VSA a few weeks ago when I went auditioning speakers to compare with the Definitives I was looking at. So far, they are the best I have heard. Still shopping though.

Sorry if I interrupted this thread with my own questions. I thought this was related enough to the topic to not start my own.

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
The more the better George.. I would like to see and hear the Jr's myself..

Cheers
Mike

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
The VR3.5's have 2 5.5" heavy duty woofers as opposed to the 1 6.5" on the Vr2's the 3.5's are a step up from the 2's. There is a LCR40 center that is in the works that will match the VR4 SE exactly. Price is what one VR4 SE will run $2995.
Steve

Doug_B

Screenwriter
The VR3.5's have 2 5.5" heavy duty woofers as opposed to the 1 6.5" on the Vr2's the 3.5's are a step up from the 2's.
The web site shows that the VR2 has two 6.5" drivers and a freq range that goes lower than the VR3.5's. Thus, my conclusion is that the VR2's are a step up from the VR3.5's.

BTW, does anyone know how distribution is working out these days for VSA? When I was speaker shopping back in 2001, there was only one dealer within about 200 miles of me, who was about 75 miles away.

Doug

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I think that the VR3.5's are still a step above the 2's in term of tonality and soundstage, as I believe that the 3.5's use more expensive drivers and crossover parts, but I am not sure. Also, the 3.5's are a three way system with two 5.5" drivers for the low, one 4" for the mid, and two 1" for the highs. The 2's seem to be the most affordable VR series floorstanders, kind of like the difference between a B&W CDM9NT and a M&W Nautilus 804. I am not sure which sounds better, as I have only heard the 3.5's, but I would think that the 3.5's are a little more refined.

Steve, to answer your question, I have only heard the VR4's, and they extend a little lower than the 3.5's, but other than that I could not tell much of a difference. The VR4se's might be a totally different beast, but between the 3.5's and the 4's, I would choose the 3.5's.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Chung,
I would like to hear the Jr's to. When I e-mailed Albert about what I should do he said, with that size of room go with the SE's not the Jr's. He did not give me any specs on the VR4 Jr's. I am curious as to how they will be configured. what wiring ,what capacitors, will they have the dual-ringed tweeter. On the web site it just says Coming Soon.
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks