Von Schweikert vs Aerials plus others ?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by John-Tompkins, Aug 17, 2004.

1. John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins Second Unit

Ive read the reviews of the VS VR 4jr's and am interested but an audition may not be possible.
    I have however heard the Aerial LCR5'S and CC-5 center channel about a year ago and loved what I heard. This after audtioning Martin Logan, Paradigm Sig8, Sonus Faber's Grand piano, totems, Thiel's ( Not sure of model but they were around 3500.00 I believe) and a few others. None to me accept the Aerials sounded any better then my NHT T5'S ( just a little different)..I love my NHT's and it seems they are truly hard to beat for the money..I have a 7.1 setup with two T5'S and 5 M5's..

Im wanting to take it to the next level in Music AND ht...Has anybody compared the VS vr4jr.s to the Aerials are for that matter the NHT T5's ?...what are the differences between the 3 ?...Would the VS vr4jr's be a true upgrade to my current nht setup...Also Im wondering about the VS TS-150'S for surround duties.

The VS center channel LCR15 has me a bit worried , it doesnt look as beefy as previous VS center channels..The Aerial CC5 on the other hand is no doubt awesome...The center channel is VERY important in my desicion, so any opinions are comparisions would be greatly apreciated..The CC5 probably blows away the LCR15??

2. Mike Bassi

Mike Bassi Stunt Coordinator

Hi John, I hope I can help here. Both The VSR jr's and the Aerial speakers are top notch systems. IMHO they are both much better then the Martin Logan's and any of the Paradigm speaker lines. You might want to throw the Thiel 2.4 in the thinking as well as they are a wonderful sounding speaker, at least I think so. I was able to check out the new Logan's and they just didn't have the warmth and body and excitement of the other 3. The Paradigm is just not in the same conversation as the VSR or Aerials or Thiels. The NHT for the money is a very good speaker. But it's still not a Thiel a VS or an Aerial. You do not have to worry about the LCR15 center, it is great. I have not had a side by side with the Aerial, but they both make great speakers and I really like both. For the price in the same line you might want to go with the VSR jr4 just because for the same price as the Aerials you get a little bit more, but the upper end Aerials are fantastic but a tad pricey side by side. The Thiels will sound more like your speakers, and may not be the best for an upgrade because they do sound a bit alike, the Thiels will have more body and soul, and you can hear the difference, but it's just a better sound but almost the same sound as your NHT. If you go to the VSR website they give you a package deal on HT. If you went with either of the 3 you will be more then happy.

Mike

3. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I believe that John was talking about the new Signature series Paradigms, not the studios, and they appear to be in the same realm as the Thiels and Aerials. However, some people are not too partial to the Paradigm sound, while in my experience Aerials tend to me a little more lush and smooth than comparable Paradigms (though I haven't heard the Signature series yet).
    As for the Von Schweiks, the best pair of speakers I have ever heard below $5k were the VR3.5's, which are a step below the VR4jr's. Just amazing full-frequency balance and response, even though the imaging tended weaken a little when off-axis (possibly due to the rear-firing "ambience" tweeters). Also, the looks of the Von's are really elegant and simple, not too much stuff going on, which is a plus in my book when choosing floorstanders. Thought the bass was a little bit tighter than the bass I heard from Aerials, though this may have been due to a room mode, since I did not listen to them side to side. I think you'll be happy with either.

4. Mike Bassi

I agree with Chung on the VSR and Aerials. I have heard the Signature series Paradigms, and for some reason the Paradigms just don't do it for me. I don't know why I don't like there sound, and I have heard it in different rooms, and ran by different equipment. Just me I guess. I am curious I did look on your profile and you have the AAD speakers, how do you like those?

Thanks
    Mike

5. John-Tompkins

Yes the VS vr4jr's and matching lcr15 center and ts-150 sides are a cheaper then the Aerials...But at this point I just wanna get the best sounding speaks I can..

Not being able to demo has me worried because again, my nht's arent anywhere near the price of some of the others I listened to ( the sig8's for example) yet they sounded better to me.

From everything Im reading about the VS4JR'S..Im almost tempted to do it without an audition ( which I know is a no-no)

EDIT: The aerials Im looking at are the 7b's are used 10T's along with the cc-3 or cc-5

6. Mike Bassi

It's not the Sunfire's fault that the Paradigms sound bad, it's the Paradigms fault. The Sunfire is a pretty good amp. John where are you located? What would be the price of the Aerials if you don't mind me asking? I have heard both and like both a lot, but after a day of working and then sitting on my coutch and turing on the stereo for a little "me" time I would drink a beer or wine and listen the the VR4jr's. But those Aerials sound great as well. If I was you I would search out someone who had a vr4jr and take a listen. The best thing I can say about it is that it makes you listen to music that you normally would never listen to just to hear the sound. That is about the best complement I can give to a speaker. The model 20T from Aerial does that to me too. Which ever way you go, you win.

Mike

7. John-Tompkins

Im in Northern Va. I dont have the Aerials scoped out but I know if I look around I can get the 10T's for around 2500.00 and the cc-3 for around 900.00 (cc-5 1800.00 or so), The 7b's for around 3000.00 all used of course. The rear Aerials would kill me however sr-3's even used would be around 1800.00!.
    So depending on the final config for just a 5 channel setup it would probably be around 5500.00 or so.

The VS's one the other hand would be around 3000.00 for the vr4jr's IF I bought them off of audiogon..The lcr15 used for 450.00 and the ts-150's probably 650.00 or so...for a grand total of around 4100.00 or so for a 5 channel setup.

8. Mike Bassi

Yeah for the price I think I would go with the VSR setup, just because it sounds better in my ears for that set up head to head. I found this on there website. If you take away the woofer you should be in the same ballpark as what you can get from Audiogon and it would be brand new. How big of a room is this going into?

System 30 Theater Package

Description:
    1 pair VR-4JR Full-Range Towers
    1 LCR-15 Full-range Center
    1 pair TS-150 Dipole/Monopole Surround Speakers
    1 VR-S/1 Powered Subwoofer

Promo MSRP $7330 if purchased separately
    Bundle MSRP $5995 per bundle ($1335 savings

9. John-Tompkins

Not very big, 14X14X9 ft.high enclosed.

Yea, I saw that deal but ya gotta buy the woofer..

Even though Ive read some good things about the VS lcr15 Im still concerned that it may not hang with the Aerial for center channel duties ( and this is a high priority to me ).
    So I take you have the LCR15 or did you just demo it ? ..How would you rate it on center channel duties ?

PS.Ive tried calling V.S about this but the salesguy is busy on making some deadline and hasnt been able to talk to me...I know their are other older VS center channel speaks that are much bigger etc.,, but I dont think there matched to the vr4jr's like the LCR15 is..Im wondering how the LCR would match up aginst their older center channel versions

10. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

Hey John,

Just talked to my friend with the VR4jr's and I think your concern about the LCR15 maybe for not. Many folks that do not have the room for the VR4jr's are using the LCR15's all the way around and VSR is very high on just doing that, a 5 LCR15 setup. In comparison to the M5's it will probably as good or better I'd guess. Used is still a little more $$ than the M5 but for center channel duty would not probably a step backward, more than likely a step forward. No, it won't be a CC5 but if your happy with the M5 now.....

James Elvick

11. Mike Bassi

For a 14x14 room the LCR15 will be more then you need and VSR is making a replacement for the bigger center if you want one. You can call Rusty Tab at this number and see what he has for the VSR line 804-852-2256. You might want to call VSR and see if they have any left over LCR 21's are or 31's in stock. Since they replace this stuff all the time they might have the bigger LCR 31 in stock. The LCR25 is a very nice sounding center, it's as clear as it gets but doesn't have a ton of low range like the 31's did. But it's cleaner and clearer which is what you want out of your center. It's a great center chanel. Is it as good as the Aerial? well maybe not, but it's very very nice. Call Rusty and see what he has.

Mike

12. John-Tompkins

I was able to purchase an almost new VS LCR15 center channel for a great price. Im gonna a/b the m5 center and the vs center..This wont tell me about the vr4jrs but at maybe it'll give me an idea about what Im looking at with vs

13. Mike Bassi

Ok cool, let me know how is goes for you. You won't be disappointed at all. Hope I was able to help

Mike

14. John-Tompkins

Yea thanks Mike,

I just got off the phone with the man himself Albert Von Schweikert. Really nice guy that chatted with me for a good 15 minutes. He gave me some big news thats gonna make alot of the VR4JR owners very happy. He said there gonna announce it very soon and I think he said it would be available in November (not positive about the release date) [​IMG]

He also said that the LCR15 is every bit just as good as there former bigger more expensive CC models except that it doesnt go down in hz as low ( he suggested a 60hz crossover). They have a/b-ed them extensively. It is Ideally matched with the vr4jr's. He also mentioned that the vr4jr's were being tested with everything including a Denon 120 watt reciever and that the Denon handled them without a problem.

There's gonna be no less then 4 reviews (various mags) in the next 3~4 months on the lcr15 and vr4jr's and that he was told that the reviewers were blown away by them.

15. Mike Bassi

Yep, Albert is a very nice man. I'm glad he was able to steer you right. If you could, e-mail me and tell me what he told you on the speakers/big news. I have been wanting to get a pair, (couldn't afford them) but now I can, was just biting my time. Again let me know how it goes once it's set up.

Cheers
    Mike