What's new

VON SCHWEIKERT VR4 GEN III or VMPS RM40 (1 Viewer)

Ludwig Crumb

Agent
Anybody have any experience with these two speakers? I have heard the VR4 (very impressive), but there is a lot of
hype about the RM40's. They are both under $5000.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hi Ludwig,

I have had only the slightest listening impressions with the VR4 Gen III and this was not under ideal conditions, unfamiliar music and ancillary equipment.

While I have to say the Von Schweikert are phenomenal speakers, do many things well, and present an excellent value, they are no match for the RM40s.

I have my "upgraded" RM40 TRTs coming in a week or so and even the "stock" version is in the stratosphere of speaker accuracy. Cheney has designed a speaker that gets it all right. Deep defined bass, crossed over to the Neodynium Midrange panel that is quicker, quieter and more airy and accurate than any midrange in the world.

Some have a favorite mid or tweeter, but no one can dispute the air, speed and accuracy of this Ribbon.

This then, is topped off with a spiral ribbon super tweeter that is not hot, ringy or tizzy. Just smooth and crystal clear.

The shear size of the RM40 exudes dynamic power. And talk about resolving power and soundstage. The sonic holgram is so complete that it becomes a "Soundscape" and there are no boundaries.

I am an Audio and HT consultant in Los Angeles and I have many lines of speakers to choose from. I chose the RM40. Not because I get good pricing,(which I do) but because nothing can touch it.

And please don't get the idea that the Von Schwiekert is a "cow". It is not!! It is a speaker that anyone who has not heard the RM40 could be very happy with for years. It does most of the same things very well, but does not have the power, or the midrage air and crystal clarity of the Ribbon.

Please excuse my bias and limited listening comparison, but I thought you might appreciate the opinion.

All the best,

John

Ludwig Crumb

Agent
Hi John;

Thanks very much for your input.
Of course all of what I know about the RM40 comes from heresay. I will be moving to a new home in about 2 months,
so I have been auditioning speakers like crazy for some time
now. VS has been (by a good margin) the best speaker I've heard. I would love to audition the RM40, but of course with the companies policy that is impossible.
Anyway, I do appreciate your comments, and since we are
practically neighbors (I live in Glendale), I would be happy to get the RM40's from you if I decide to go that route.

Best
Ludwig

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks