Volume Shoots Way Uppppp!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AbelM, Mar 16, 2002.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Helcome each time I play a DVD on my system I have to turn up the volume pretty loud...almost half way, just to have a decent sound?

Reciever Model: Yamaha RX-V520

DVD Player: Toshiba SD-1700

2. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

Abel,

i have a similar system to you. however, volume is dependent on speaker efficiency and room size. the situation you are describing may be perfectly normal. also the volume control on the 520 is not one of the fancy schmanzy digital controls. so how much volume you are getting at "1/2" setting is not as important you may think. it depends alot on the input, i believe. what i mean is there is probably nothing for you to worry about as long as your system is properly calibrated.

d.

3. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Here's my experience with Toshiba DVD players and Yamaha receivers: have an rxv2200 and bought a Toshiba kds700 (? Costco model), while awaiting another DVD player via mail. Previously I'd tried out 2 players, a Sony and a Pioneer. The Toshiba, by far, required the volume dial to climb way high in order to get similar perceived output. Had you calibrated your system to the Toshiba's output, you'd merely find yourself not having to turn the volume up as much for other sources in your system. Essentially your experience is similar to mine -- no biggie.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Do you really have to have the volume control near the 12 o'clock position?

Yamaha receivers are adjusted so that when the volume control is at 12 o'clock, the unit should be putting out it's max rated power. So you are pushing the hairy edge.

My Yamaha's tend to hover around 10 o'clock for DVD's, less for other sources - so yes, the DVD does appear "quieter".

How do you have your speakers defined? LARGE/SMALL?

Try defining all your speakers as SMALL and set the LFE option to "SUB" or "NONE". Then see if the situation is better.

5. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Bob - I have all speakers set to small (which they are anyay) and have my LFE to sub (since I have an 8 incher). So that's not the problem.
    To be honest it seems there is no problem, most people just have to turn it up on DVD's...which is cool, I just didn't want to hurt my system!
    Thanx guys'! [​IMG]

6. joe logston

joe logston Stunt Coordinator

the low level out put from a digital dvd sorce is a little differnat than a cd player dvd is a little quiter it is set differant than a cd player. in the same way as some cds are louder than others you just have to adjust to it, its all in the software & the sorce player

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Strange...I've noticed on my system (Sony DB840) that I have to turn my sound down...otherwise it's just way too damn loud. You should see me when I forget to turn it down when I'm watching an MGM Disc...boy, when that tiger roars when the disc first starts playing I about crap my pants.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I see (er, I mean "hear") the same thing. [​IMG]
    I normally play back CDs at -55 dB on my system, but DVDs go at -35 dB (which is louder). Similar actual volumes. I think DVDs are just mastered differently than CDs.

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Years ago I had a RPTV, Stereo VCR and a new Yamaha receiver. I decided to check out this whole "dvd" thing.
    A local video store rented DVD players back then. So I rented a player and a disk of The Fifth Element. I brought it home, hooked it up and got the DVD and my VHS tape of the movie playing in sync. Then I sat down to do some A/B comparisons.
    I was suprised to find that I prefered the VHS sound over the DVD!
    This led me to do more research. I found:
    - VHS tapes are often mastered with "hotter" volume.
    - Humans perceive "louder" as being "better" (Confessions of a stereo reviewer)
    - The concept that too loud is fatiguing.
    So when comparing the two, you must leave aside your initial impressions and listen for more subtile things.

10. JeffHayes

JeffHayes Stunt Coordinator

Kevin C Brown...

Hey dude... sorry for the off-topic post, but I tried to e-mail you and basically got blocked, so I left a private message for you last week I think. If you get a chance can you take a look at it and see if you have any more info for me.

Thanks a million,

Jeff in Houston

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Bob- The "louder sounds better" thing is actually very true and prove-able. "Psycho-acoustics" and all that. And, just takes 0.1 dB to do it, which is very scary. [​IMG]
    (Even with an *analog* Radio Shack meter, forget about the digital one, I've only beeen able to get down to maybe 0.25 dB accuracy/precision in setting levels...)
    Jeff- no private message, and I just tried an email to you via the HTF icon, but no dice.
    Try this:
    kevin5brown_butdeletethiscrapsoIdont...[email protected]
    (Hee, hee. [​IMG] )