Volume Settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david*mt, Jan 11, 2003.

1. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

My Yamaha HTR-5560 has a center channel, rear speakers, and subwoofer volume setting. I have my speakers set to small and not large, as they are not very big. Right now my center channel is set at +5 db, my rears at +3 db, and the sub at 0. There is no control for the fronts. What is the best setting for these?

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

It sounds like you are calibrating by ear, since there’s no mention of calibration tools. For the long haul, most here will suggest buying a $35 sound pressure level meter at Radio Shack, and to get a DVD-style disk (the Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-Up at $16 is available online-order, and both gets you a good tv “picture” as well as audio tone tests). Yes, the Yamaha internal tones will work, but the disk gives a better calibration overall, and is essential for getting the Sub setup right.

In this method, the Yamaha main volume control is used to get a 75db or 85db audio tone level first at the Left Main; at 75dB this will be about –25dB on the Yamaha volume control. Then the Right Main is matched to this level. Some Yamaha will offer a left-right control for the Right Main adjustment in the spkr Set-Up from the remote.

With the receiver volume remaining at 75db or 85db on the meter, the center and two surrounds are matched in order. Where the setting numbers end up is variable to your speakers and room characteristics, so there’s no one-setting-fits-all.

If you have a sub, it's advisable to set the Yamaha Bass/LFE (sub) level via the remorte to -15db to -12db, then adjust the volume(gain) on the sub amp so the sub output matches the mains.

You can try this method with internal tones first by ear, later with the meter, to see if you can get the spkrs balanced. Eventually, most people don’t actually listen at the calibration’s loud level in their room.