What's new

Volume setting preference (1 Viewer)

I was just curious, as to what level you listen to your DVDs. With my wife around, I usually don't go below 40db. I prefer to go lower...around 34-35db.

I am still new to Home Theater. I don't know how far I can push my system without causing damage. I have a Kenwood HTB-544 (100 watts * 6), but I know the speakers aren't the top of the line.

I guess my two questions are:

What volume level do you prefer and what volume level would you consider a safe cutoff level, before possible damage?

Thanks for replies.

BTW, I voted for the 4-disk LOTR-FOTR set...gotta have the commentaries and extra footage, but I'm not buying two sets... not with two movies to go.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,
The position of a volume knob offers zero information on how much output you are getting from your system- so there is little frame of ref.
First of all, no receiver labels their volume knob the same way- so it is impossible to comapre with other ownders of different receivers.
Also, the size of your room and sensitivity of your speakers play a HUGE role in how much output level you will get at a given volume point on the knob.
Here at the HTF, you'll find that usually when comparing volume levels, people will do so in comparison to a calibrated ref level provided by a HT calibration disc like AVIA or VIDEO ESSENTIALS.
This is the only real way to compare playback level between you and other forum members across discs ("I have to crank my system to 2db below ref to have Phantom Menace sound good")... it is a ref point so that when asking for help or discussing a concept, we all have a relative volume point for ref.
I would recommend calibrating your system with such a disc: it provides balanced levels (which is the most important element of home theater) and also will give you an idea of Dolby Ref level and where your personal pref level is in comparison to that ref.
see also:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=55909
-Vince

Thanks Vince.

For novice, which is the easiest calibration disk to use?

Also, I have a ten-year old Samsung 27" TV, which I have been pleased with. I know at some point I wil be replacing it with bigger and better. But for now, will a calibration make much of a difference for this TV?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
But for now, will a calibration make much of a difference for this TV?
I think it will- but regardless, audio calibration will make a very big difference! So even if you don't think it's worth doing video-- the audio calibration difference is often worth twice the price of Avia and a SPL meter!

-Vince

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
Vince does a great job answering the technical questions.
What volume level do I prefer?
In my home, with ref set to 0db on the receiver (calibrated using AVIA), we listen at anywhere from -30db to -10db, depending on the media and whether or not my wife is home. We live in an apartment and she is more concerned about the neighbors than I am. :)
Yesterday we received the Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box and last night I wanted to show her the intro to Toy Story 2. She insisted on listening at -25db. Needless to say, it wasn't very impressive.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kevin,

Where in MS are you? Last week I met a guy here at HTF that lived about 10 miles from me. I went over and calibrated his system using using the Ultimate DVD Silver Edition (I'm still learning to navigate VE). It was slight improvement in picture quality but a dramatic improvement in sound quality.

-Robert

Robert, I'm in Pearl, near Jackson.

I believe you are up close to Memphis...about three hours away.

I appreciate the offer, but I think I can handle it. I am going to go out and buy the Avia disk. I want to own the disk and do it myself, particularly for the educational experience. That way I will understand my home theater system better, be able to understand and fix the problems myself, and not have to ask so many newbie questions on this board.

However, I would be curious to know if there are professional calibration experts in or around MS. At some point, I plan on buying a 42-50" TV.

Thanks

Denward

Supporting Actor
Off topic, but there is a bit of irony in a thread about volume started by a man named Silence.:)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have the 504 kenwood.With all set to 0 except sub, +4 to -4. I am at 37 to 43 on DVDs.If wife is home then 50 give or take on master vol.About the same as you.This will change when I calibrate and get new speakers.

Denward, yes it is an irony. And gee, I've never heard that before. Just remember, Silence is golden. ;)
Have a good Easter weekend. Good time to watch Prince of Egypt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks