Volume regulator & Onkyo S580

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Sammy H, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Sammy H

Sammy H Auditioning

Jul 4, 2006
    I have two questions -- one about regulating volume and
    another about an Onkyo HTIB.

1) I have a frustrating home theatre system now. The volume from channel to channel varies wildly. I understand that this is in part due to the various channels. Also, I'd like to be able to make dialogue compete with music and explosions on movies. I'm CONSTANTLY adjusting volume on my remote.

Here is a device on which I'd like your opinion. According to the review, it works but only if hooked correctly into the system. It is called the Terk VR-1 volumje regulator.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/

2) I also wonder what you think of the inexpensive yet positively reviewed HT-S580 HTIB by Onkyo?

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Jul 31, 1997
    Cees Alons
    Hello Sammy,

The volume on the channels shouldn't vary "widely". Of course there can be considerable differences between different releases, but those should be controllable with your master volume dial.

However, if your system isn't calibrated, you may get results that seem to vary to much.

Do you own one of the calibration DVDs already? It could be a more worthy purchase than the device you're mentioning!

And after you have calibrated your system: try to NOT change the settings all the time (except the main volume dial). It may take some time to get used to that.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Mar 4, 2001
    David Fischer
    This is a feature of DVDs: Large dynamic range. It is common to have soft dialog in one scene and deafening explosions in the next. As a former apartment dweller, this could be a nightmare, adjusting the volume through the movie to hear the dialog but not disturb the neighbors during action sequences.

There is an automatic solution that is available in many receivers: "Nighttime Listening". Check your Receiver's setup menu system for something like "nighttime" mode; if there set it to high. This compresses the dynamic range so dialog doesn't go so soft and explosions aren't so loud.