Volume question for Onkyo 595 owners

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas B, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

I love my new Onkyo 595, but one question concerning the volume . . . I won't even consider going to max volume on this thing if I value my marriage, as about the loudest my home will take this is about volume level 65 (while the max is 79). However, why does the low level volume range seem silent? I really have no discernable sound until I get the volume around 12, and even then it is very low. Should everything less than this be silent? Or is this due to my speaker sensitivity? Do any of you other 595 owners notice the same effect?

2. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

I've noticed it to be very dependent on the audio source in my experience. My "reference level", better known as "volume value at which I calibrated my speakers to 85dB using Avia" is at 60. On my two Cirque Du Soleil DVDs (Quidam and Dralion) I have to pump it up to nearly 55 or even 60 and this is only in an 11' x 15' room, maybe I'm just deaf but those discs sound very soft.
    Gladiator on the other hand is loud as crap and I really need to have it down around 40 or so, same with X-Men and other action movies.
    Generally regular stereo or Dolby Pro Logic I & II material is much louder than DD 5.1 or DTS encoded stuff.
    Of course, my JBL N24 and N-Center speakers aren't exactly the most sensitive things in the world either.
    [Edited last by Sean Laughter on August 17, 2001 at 08:16 PM]

3. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

Sean, good points about the input sources. I watched Titan A.E. with the wife and kids tonight, and had to keep the volume around 42 on DTS mode to keep from being blown out! Seems to be no problem with the upper volumes, but it's those lower levels that seem silent. (Or maybe its because I'm just accustomed to zero meaning silent and anything above zero meaning some sound.)

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    hey- another Thomas B with an Onkyo 595! wow...
    i keep mine around 40 for music listening...it hovers between there and 55 (for movies) depending on the DVD. i havent noticed a drop-off in the volume as it gets soft. i keep it around 15 sometimes to have in the background when i'm doing something else.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Compared to my previous Onkyo, a 535, the volume control on my 696 is much more stretched out. 0% - 50% on the dial is like 0% - 25% total volume. The upper half seems to then increase volume much more rapidly. I think this is a logarithmic volume control. Regardless, I like because it gives me much more control over the lower volume ranges. With my older Onkyo and its linear(?) volume, it could be hard to get the right volume for lower levels (e.g. late night movies).
    The 595 behaves the same way as the 696, I believe.
    As others said, it does depend on the input source. Though you can equalize things somewhat with the relative volume adjustments for the different inputs.

6. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

Compared to my previous Onkyo, a 535, the volume control on my 696 is much more stretched out. 0% - 50% on the dial is like 0% - 25% total volume. The upper half seems to then increase volume much more rapidly. I think this is a logarithmic volume control.
    Dave, this is exactly what I am talking about. The first 50% of the volume range is FAR from half of the maximum volume that the 595 is capable of producing. I think your observation of a logarithmic scale is right-on.

7. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

I am running the 595 with 4 Paradigm Titans and a Paradigm cc-170 center. Currently my system is set up in a bedroom so I am pretty close to all of the speakers, and I can assure you that there is volume all the way down to an abrupt cutoff when you hit minimum (0).
    I am comfortably listening at a volume of 8 right now, it all depends on how quiet everything else is, but trust me the sound is definantly there all the way down to 1.
    The volume ocntrols on the 595 are great, as has already been said logarithmic volume control is the only way to go.

8. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

With my 595 and the Energy Take 5 speakers I can clearly hear the audio even on the lowest possible volume setting. My normal listening level is 30 and I rarely have any cause to go higher than 40.

9. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

Thanks to all for the replies! My usual listening level is around 35-38, so the "problem" likely is with my speakers. They sound great at mid-to-higher levels, but are custom-made, so I am not aware of the specs (as they were placed about 8 years ago in my walls and ceiling.) Anyway, they do sound fine for my listening levels, and that's all that's important, despite the relative silence at the low volumes levels of the Onkyo.