1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Volume on passive vs. volume on built in amp.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon C, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Ok, I've read enough here to learn that when using a seperate amp to power a sub (like the samson powering an svs cs sub) you need to turn the volume or "gain" all the way up. Does the same hold true for a sub with it's own amplifier built in? Do you crank the powered sub to "11" and just adjust the volume on the recieiver?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

NO. My buddy did that once, had the volume up all the way and the gain down on the preamp. Not cool.
    The 'Gain' on a pro amp works differently that 'consumer' type volume controls.
    For powered sub-type amps start at -5 on the preamp level trim (or something like 3/4 down on the scale) and the sub amp's volume doun all the way. Play a tone through the sub, and bring up the volume knob until you get the proper level of sound.
    Tweak from there, serve with a lemon wedge.
    [​IMG]

3. GabrielC

GabrielC Stunt Coordinator

What's the reasoning behind turning the dedicated amp gain all the way up, and keeping the receiver low first? I've heard that a lot of amps can't necessarily keep up with their maximum limit and will produce a bad signal to the speaker/sub when it's pushed too hard?

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Per instructions that came with my SVS - Keep the receiver's trim down to 25%, and adjust the source amp accordingly.

Works for me, no noise, no stress. YMMV.

- CM

5. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

in pro applications, like in a commerical movie theater,

all the amps are at full gain ( QSC MX Series ) the level is determined by the output of the cinema processor.