volume loss in DVD mode

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Faldo, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Rick Faldo

Rick Faldo Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have an idea why I seem to have a lot of volume loss when playing DVD's compared to cable, or CD's?
    I have to set my volume level to -0db(pretty loud) when watching DVD's which would be way loud with cable or CD's.
    The dvd player is switched through my receiver, as is everything else. I use an Integra DTR 7.1 and Toshiba SD 1600 DVD player. My TV doesn't have enough input connections to connect direct to TV. All connectors are of the same quality although I haven't switched them around to test. I am using AR digital RCA cable for sound in.
    Thanks in advance.
    Rick

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

This is very common. It happens to us all.

The volume level of sounds on a DVD can very a lot more than say a VCR or a CD. So the nominal volume tends to be lower to give your equipment room for the louder passages.

Also, VHS tapes tend to be mastered at a much hotter/higher volume than they really should be.

So you Do have to play with the master volume when switching from other sources to the DVD.

3. Rick Faldo

Thanks Bob, it's good to know I'm not alone out here.
    Much appreciated.
    Rick

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

5. Rick Faldo

Ken: Thanks for your insight. I never gave it much thought but your explanation makes sense. Just have never had to crank up the volume like this before to get it "loud." My cable is digital cable, the movies are much louder than my dvd's. I presume the movie channels use dvd's for their programming? Never use VHS anymore, except for recording sporting events, don't care about sound reproduction in that scenario. Now I get why more power might be in my future for HT, especially once I get my equipment moved into a larger area.
    Rick

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

7. Rick Faldo

Thanks Ken, I was wondering what that pause was for on DVD's. The pay/movie channels here are digital(need a digital control box to receive signal) I believe as my receiver displays digital when viewing them (the newer movies anyway)and the sound is awesome compared to normal analog signals.
    Cheers,
    Rick
    ps I think I have seen the "pause" on HBO while watching the Sopranos?

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

OK, well one other advantage of digital cable is that they may broadcast some channels in Dolby Digital (aka AC-3), which would definitely sound better. (The small-dish satellite services are digital and can do this too. Analog cable cannot; the best they can manage is Dolby Surround.)
    If your receiver says Dolby Digital or AC-3, then that's what you've got. In essence, it's the same soundtrack as on DVD, which itself could be what you hear in the theater (emphasis on could).
    Any pause you may have seen on HBO is more likely a digital "glitch" -- again, one of the disadvantages of digital.
    //Ken