Volume Levels

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leonard B, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

I am calibrating my speakers with a test disc (Ultimate DVD-Platinum). I am using 75db as the reference level on the spl meter for my speakers. My question is, what level of volume should I use on my receiver to do the calibration? My receiver has -92db as the quietest volume and -8db as the loudest. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I use whatever volume makes my front speakers play at the reference level, then I adjust surround speakers & sub accordingly.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Leonard: think of it this way - the people who made your receiver hooked up a 'reference' speaker, put a SPL meter 1 foot in front and cranked it to produce it's max power & something like 120 db of sound. Then they started turning down the volume and made the display show you the volume reduction.

(This is not what they really did, but this is the model to use).

In your home, you have different speakers and sit more than 1 foot away. So the display will not really tell you what volume you should be hearing. But...it does a good aproximation.

Dont get frustrated if you cannot get your SPL meter to show the same numbers as the display.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

When the front test tone plays, use the master volume to get the SPL meter to read 75 db. Then keep the master volume there. Then use the individual speaker adjustments for the center and rears to get them to 75 db. Once complete, the volume number you are on will be reference for your system in your room.

5. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help![​IMG]