What's new

volume levels on HK AVR 125 (1 Viewer)

Josh Varghese

Stunt Coordinator
So I used to have my AVR 125 mated with just RCA bookshelfs from RadioShack. After calibrating with Avia, I would achieve 75db with the AVRs main volume set to around -20db. While watching movies I would never push it past more than -20db...that was plenty loud enough in this dorm room.

Well recently I upgraded my speakers to JBL N-series all the way around. N38 mains, and NcenterII, and N24s for surround. Now I noticed that I have to put the AVR to aroud -10db to accomplish similar volume levels. Sure enough upon recalibration it showed I only achieved 75db with the main volume set to -10db. However if I switch sources, -10db is waaaaaaay too loud. Unlike before where I could switch between sources without much of a drastic difference on how the two played back.

1) Why would I have to play the AVR louder to get more volume if these speakers are definitely more sensitive that RCA bookshelfs?

2) What do you AVR users out there play your AVR at for movies?

3) What am I missing?

Thanks
Josh
[email protected]

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
Sensitivity is probably the source of this. What are the sensitivity ratings of both speakers?

Josh Varghese

Stunt Coordinator
Old Speakers:

2 X RCA 3-way Bookshelf Speaker STS-830 (Mains)
Sensitivity: 90db

1 x RCA 5-inch 2-way Center Channel Speaker (Center)
Sensitivity: 87db

2 X Sony SS-MB100H Bookshelf Speakers (Rears)
Sensitivity: 87db

New Speakers:

2 X JBL N38II (Mains)

1 x JBL NcenterII (Center)

2 X JBL N24II (Rears)
Sensitivity: 86db

So as you can see...I don't see why I have to play the receiver louder...and significantly so.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
A couple of thoughts / views:

1) I wonder how much distortion was being introduced by the RCA speakers? They may have been louder, but at what cost? Maybe, much of the louder volume was not necessarily clear sound that was being heard.

2) Sensitivity levels. I've read some items recently which seems to point out that the sensitivity numbers are being "fudged" a bit. Possibly, the older RCA speakers were more accurate with the sensitivity levels and the newer JBL speakers are not.

However, I will say that sometimes it is hard when one feels so disappointed after an upgrade. I'm sure you highly anticipated more out of your speaker upgrade, but instead, you have so many questions to find answers for instead of being able to truly enjoy the sound/volume.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand something -

Right before you get to the test tones, are you turning up the AVR volume to -0db? I think you should. Then you use the trims to make the level 85db on the meter, for Avia.

The difference in sensitivity should bear out in the trim levels.

That's how it works for me, anyway, except I happen to use VE so me meter is at 75 for calibration.

- CM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks