Volume level on your SVS??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ranga, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

I am trying to optimize the bass in my system and I find that I cannot set my SVS 25-31PC volume above the 9'O clock position (1/4 vol). If I increase it any more, I can easily localize the sub (placed to right of my listening position).

Was wondering what everyone sets the sub volume to?

Ranga

2. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

It sounds like your crossover might be set too high. My crossover is set at 80 Hz, and I can't localize my 20-39CS, no matter how loud it is.

3. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

John

My crossover is set at 50Hz. I am using speaker-level connections to the sub as I use an external DAC instead of the DVD player's DAC. My pre-amp does not have a decoder.

So I don't think it's the crossover.

Also, the SVS Manual recommends that the sub volume is set at 3/4th (3 O' clock) with the sub-out level on the receiver at -5db. Even with the sub-out at -6db, the max that I can set the SVS volume is 1/4 before it is extremely boomy and localizable.

4. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

bump..

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

What are you feeding the sub? Are you using a standard Dolby Digital /DTS receiver? Is the sub out signal low-passed or not?

What do you have the crossover on the SVS itself set to??

6. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Another good question to ask... Have you properly calibrated your system using a DVD like Avia or Video Essentials along with a Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter? If you set the volume of the sub much higher than the other speakers, it might become easier to localize.
    Also, where is the sub placed in your room? Where it sits may also play a factor with this problem.

7. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

Ranga,
    Is it possible that your sub is causing external vibrations (at a higher frequency) in the immediate area? I'm far from an expert, but it seems like that condition might make the sub appear more "directional". I have no idea if this holds water. [​IMG] Hopefully someone with more experience will confirm or deny this, as it's just a thought that occurred to me. I'm curious about the answer myself.

8. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

I used AVIA to calibrate my speakers along with the the ratshack SPL meter. Since my pre-amp does not have a 0db setting, I used an arbitrary volume setting to read 70db across all speakers.
    I tried both speaker-level connections and line level (from sub-out of DVD player). With speaker level connections, I experimented with both 50Hz and 80Hz crossover on the sub and with line level, I used the internal 80Hz crossover on my SHerwood 756 DVD player. Irrespective of the crossover setting, the maximum volume that I can set the sub to is about 1/4 (with the sub-out level on the DVD player set to -6db).
    The sub is placed next to the listening position in a corner to excite room modes equally. The sub is placed on wood flooring (pergo) and there is a window close to it (has the blinds pulled down all the time).
    My HT layout and frequency response

9. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

My sub is in a corner about 11 feet away from the listening position. The sub out setting is at -6 and the crossover is set on the receiver at 80Hz. My SVS volume is between the 10 and 11 o'clock positions with all speakers calibrated to 75db.

Looking at your room layout I see the sub is next to the seating position. Being so close and perhaps behind you might be the culprit. I have always heard a sub should be in the front sound-stage, maybe your situation is one of the reasons why? Just guessing.

Pieter

10. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

Well, that is my guess too, but I ran this setup by TV and Ron and they felt that this was acceptable.

Considering that your volumr is set between 10-11, I think that my configuration may not be that bad. For movies, I can set it between 10 and 11 without any problem. It's with music that I have the problem.

Iam considering getting an EQ, but I am not sure that will help this situation.

11. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

Don't tell me there are so few SVS owners out there..[​IMG]
    I am trying to get an idea on the average volume setting on the sub for music and movies...
    Anybody..?

12. Pep Guidote

Pep Guidote Agent

Ranga,

I too have my 20-39PC placed against a rear corner. It's actually only about 6 feet from the sweet spot (1 ft back, and 5+ feet to the side). Sometimes it is localizable, but only because of the things vibrating around it.

Subvolume at 12:30 position

Sub out on Onkyo 696 receiver at -6 movies (+6db hot), -12 music (flat)

-Pep

13. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

Hmm.. my sub is about 5ft from me and I can easily localize it if I increase the sub volume. It becomes boomy.. that's very different from the vibrations that you notice with your setup.

Could there be something else going on here? I am planning to get the upgrade and I don't know if it will make it worse!!

14. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

The upgrade (i Driver) won't change the charachteristics of the sub until you reach The Outer Limits....

Bottom the x-over on the sub and see if it changes the situation.

Also, it's easy to run the sub too hot, since we tend to look for bass where it does not exist. But since you calibrate, I guess I'd have to say it's room induced, or some sort of interaction with the mains...

Hang in there, you'll get it eventually...

15. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

At last, some concrete recommendations from TV himself - I pulled this from avsforum -

16. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

Here is another thought.. would isolating the sub from my laminate flooring make a difference?

Over at the audioasylum, many folks recommend placing the sub on marble coupled with vibrapods/spikes.

17. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

It sounds like I have a similar setup to you. I have my SVS 20-39PC sitting in the corner right beside the couch. I experimented quite a bit before deciding on this location. It provides modest corner loaded gain. I probably do not get the full benefit of corner loading because the couch is less than one foot from the sub, and probably soaks up some of the output from the bottom of the tube. I run mine at about 80% most of the time for ProLogic material. For DD material I crank it to 100%, and for music, I back it down to about 50% (sometimes off for some music types, moods). I do have my SUB level attenuated in my amp settings though (can’t remember how much, exactly, since it has been a while since I calibrated). I get no boom, and solid fairly tight bass. If I had to guess, I would say it sounds like your sub is receiving a full frequency feed somehow, or you have the polarity reversed (or some really serious delay problems or room nodes to contend with). Just a guess from a non-expert.

18. Ranga

Ranga Stunt Coordinator

Bob,

I am guessing two things -

1. The sub needs to be isolated from the floor and placed optimally.

2. The crossover/DSP on the DVD player is malfunctioning.

If indeed the sub is getting the full frequency signal, how would I check for it?

I had speaker-level connections to the sub but this works for music only as my DVD player has no option to set the SUB=No. So I went back to line-level connections.