What's new

volume level issue (1 Viewer)

Eddie_B

Auditioning
wondering why there is such a large difference in volume level when switching between DVD and TV.

Explanation: Watching a movie on a RCA DVD player and when movie is over I switch to TV using the remote that goes to my Onkyo receiver (DVD player and TV go through the receiver). The sound is a great deal louder when switched to the TV. Have to hurry up and turn the volume level down on the receiver or it blows me away. Have checked all receiver settings and they are all the same for both components. Also have the same problem when watching the VCR and then switching to TV.

All audio is played through surround sound (klipsh speakers). My DVD is not connected by a digital output. I use regular RCA Audio/Video connectors.

I also do not think that the problem is caused by a large dynamic range because I have the same problem when switching from VCR to TV. I can also switch to TV while watching a scene with normal conversation volume levels or even whispering and the problem still occurs.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
DVDs have a large dynamic range. I bet if you were watching a DVD during a very loud action scene and then you switched to your TV, you wouldn't notice such a large difference.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
It may also be a setting in your TV that needs to be changed. I know on my RCA direct view, I have 3 audio choices:
TV speakers on (normal TV operation)
TV speakers off with variable output (output goes to stereo via rca jacks, but level can still be controlled by TV's volume buttons)
TV speakers off with level output (just a standard low-level out to the stereo and volume is controlled at stereo only)

Perhaps you have a similar setting in your TV. You'd want to try the level output if you do.

Do you have a cable box on your TV? Some boxes also have a similar audio level setting in their set-up menu.

Also... if your DVD is connected via a digital output, I find (at least on my Pioneer) that digital audio is at a higher input volume compared to analog connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks