Volume level analog Vs. Digital

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Riche_guy, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Riche_guy

Riche_guy Auditioning

Volume level analog Vs. Digital

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed the difference in volume when switching from analog to a digital signal. In my system the volume goes up significantly. I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX receiver that is THX Ultra2 certified. The only thing I see that can be controlled is the analog attenuation. This I find is useless since the problem lies with the digital and not the analog signal. Is there a way to control the digital signal to lower the volume when a digital signal comes through?

Riche_guy

2. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

yeah turn the volume knob down [​IMG]

3. Riche_guy

Riche_guy Auditioning

Ya funny. I'm looking for something more permanant than having to remember to lower or raise the volume when switching to digital or analog signal.

Riche_guy

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I'm not aware of anything.

Keep in mind that since the digital signal is nothing but 1's and 0's, the playback level is built into the code itself, not the voltage level as it enters into the input.

You want to try to match the analog to the digital, not the other way around...

5. Riche_guy

Riche_guy Auditioning

Well I know I can control the attenuation of my analog signal. I can lower it from what I have now, which would increase the problem. What do you suggest.

Riche_guy

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Considering that levels are all over the map during recording, going from digital to digital is no guarantee of consistency(unless you only listen to Dolby Digital sources[​IMG]).

How much easier do you want to get than a simple button press of up or down on the remote?[​IMG]

DJ

7. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

You need to remember that typically lowering the level of a digital signal usually means reducing it's number of bits and thus reducing it's resolution.

I don't think you want to do that.

8. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Use the Pioneer's analogue input gain, increase it so it roughly equals similar volume when flicking between analogue/digital.