Volume issues

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Homer, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Chris Homer

Chris Homer Agent

I currently own a Marantz SR-780 and have Paradigm speakers (LCR-150 center and Titan L&R). The problem I have is that listening to the radio or a cd I will have the volume at -45db or so and that is plenty loud, but when watching TV in Pro-logic I have to crank it up to -25db or so. Just moved into a new house that has a built in above the fireplace (see photo ) so it is even worse than previous set up due to the center speaker being so high, but I noticed the same thing previously.
    Does anyone have an explanation to this? Thanks.

2. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

Maybe the volume decrease is caused by the use of different sources. What volume do you have it set for DVD?

I know that's not a very good answer. Someone probably knows. I'm just more shocked by your picture. That's the weirdest TV setup I've ever seen in my life.

3. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

Your problem may be due to the fact that the audio output from your TV (that you are connecting to the receiver) is variable (via the volume control). So, see if there is a setting in the TV's menus to switch it to a fixed or line level output, rather than variable. If not, then find crank up the volume on the TV, but make sure that the TV's speakers are turned off of course (usually an option in the menus somewhere).

If that doesn't work, consider using your VCR as the tuner. Then, just connect its audio output to the Receiver, and its video output to the TV's video input. The VCR will have a fixed line-level audio output that should be the appropriate level.

4. Chris Homer

Chris Homer Agent

Thanks for the responses. I'll will give the suggestions a try and let you know.

Nick,

Yeah. Pretty horrible set-up huh? Trying to figure out how to make this room work will be a topic of another post. Just a plain bad design for this room. I think the builder didn't expect someone to try and use it for a Home Theater set-up and more as a living room, but it's all I have to work with.

5. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Chris,
    Another thing to try, get a couple of rubber door stops and raise the rear of the center channel so that the speaker is aimed at you primary listening position. If you have not done so already, invest in a SPL meter and calibrate your system for balanced output from all of the speakers. Try these first, you'll be surprised at the improvement in sound quality from your system.

6. Chris Homer

Chris Homer Agent

I went into my TV menu and checked the audio section. The setting I had it on was "stereo", but I switched it over to another option which is "secondary" and didn't notice much of a change.

I currently have the audio coming out of my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box directly into my receiver, so I don't think any setting with my TV would change anything, maybe I'm wrong. I also have the set-up in the receiver to have the center speaker at plus 10db gain while others are 0.

Does anyone think 7'-0" is too high for a center speaker? I would like to put it on the mantle, but two things limit me: 1)speaker is 11" deep and mantle is only 7 1/2" deep, so I would have to build some type of add on platform for the speaker to rest on and 2) concern of the heat coming off the fireplace.

I actually used a binder clip before to angle the speaker down, but that was when I used a book shelf entertainment center and the speaker was at 5'-6" or so. It did improve the sound a little, but still seemed as though it wasn't as loud as doing 2 channel stereo. Could it just be a bad speaker?

7. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Chris, as far as your audio level. I think Aaron is prob. on the right track with a variable output on the source for your TV audio. My cable box had quite low output at the default level. When I found a variable volume setting in the setup and maxed it out it was still quite low. A service call and the guy came out and set it through a service menu so it was much better.
    As to your set up. In your situation you kind of have to go with what you got. Or, live with a big empty hole above your fireplace that everyone asks why you don't put your TV in. :b I have seen quite a few houses being built this way recently and often wondered what the designers were thinking as popular as home theater is these days. In several cases there is nothing but a power outlet and a cable jack in the hole. Makes it kind of hard to hook up a DVD player and such without stringing wires over the mantle or having to fish cables through drywall. [​IMG]
    Some things you might try. As Frank said angle your center speaker down. If you are not satisfied with the sound you could build a shelf inside the opening to raise your TV and put the center under it. That would put it directly in line with the R/L and is prob. what I would do in your situation. If you find it to distracting to have it on top and don't fancy building a shelf you do have another option. Most receivers will let you set up for a "phantom" center. As in no center speaker, the processor will take the center info and use the R/L to create a "phantom" center image. This is actually quite effective and there are some (not me) who will insist that this sounds better than using a center speaker. That debate is best left to another thread [​IMG]
    PS I forgot to say that you can try the phantom center option without moving anything around. Just look in the setup menus for your A/V receiver and try it out.