Volume issue/question (RSX-1055 + B&Ws)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by rob_l, Jan 5, 2004.

1. rob_l

rob_l Extra

Some of you might have seen my previous post where I had RSX-1055 issues and the display wouldn't turn on. Well the dealer gave me a brand new unit which fixed the problem.

Now I have another strange issue that I'm hoping someone could help with.

Since I didn't buy the surround speakers yet, nor the sub, I only have L/R/C. When I have the receiver set to tuner or CD (currently a Sony Playstation via optical), the volume is fine. I have it at 30-40 and it's plenty loud. The sound is great through a set of B&W 603s.

But when I switch it to Video, either using the DirecTivo or the Playstation (DVD) as the source, the volume goes down dramatically. I have to crank the volume up to 50+ for it to be comparable, and over 60 for it to be loud. It seems a bit louder when I switch it to 2ch instead of DTS or ProLogicII, but still not nearly as loud as when I'm listening to the tuner or a CD.

The Playstation is using optical connection.
    The Tivo is using standard composite cables.
    The speakers are currently set to Large.

Currently we're just turning the volume up to 50 when watching TV, but need to reduce it to 30 (otherwise it's quite loud) when listening to CDs. Does this put unncessary wear on the system to listen at high volume levels? Does anyone know what the issue with my configuration is?

Thx.

2. John S

John S Producer

Hard to say if it is an issue or not.

It is important to the overall volume in Multi-channel surround modes that all the speakers be working.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Do you also have analog cables going from the playstation to the Rotel and maybe it's in analog mode instead of digital for DVD? That would explain the volume difference coming from the same source. Also, is the Tivo audio going into the TV first and then being looped out through the audio out on the TV? That would explain that discrepancy, as well.

Do you have the surround speakers set to "off" in the processor? Have you experimented with it both ways?

DJ

4. rob_l

rob_l Extra

Thanks for the replies.

The playstation only has one set of audio cables plugged in (optical). The Tivo only has one set of audio cables plugged in as well, but these are composite. It goes directly to the receiver, not to the TV.

The surround speakers are set to off as is the subwoofer. I haven't tried setting this to anything else yet.

5. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I have an RSX 1055 and have both the RCA and Coax feeding it from my Digital Cable box.

When I feed a digital channel signal to it through Coax 35 on volume is plently lod. To get close to same volume when playing an analog signal through the RCAs I need to turn it to 45 or above.

That the volume of CDs and DVD through the same digital out put would be vastley different though makes NO sense. what do you mean "switch" to video. On the remote under the slider there are 5 buttons for inputs. If you have the Playstation optical input set to v1 button you shouldn't be changing anything CD vs DVD .

First thing I would try is borrow a DVD player plug it into the optical cable instead of the PS2 and see if you still have a big volume difference between CD and DVD. If not then the issue is the playstation .

6. rob_l

rob_l Extra

So based on what you're saying, and we assume that the Playstation has a sound discrepancy between CD and DVD (even though both go through optical connection), I'm still going to have a large sound difference because my DirecTivo only supports RCAs? That would mean when I switch between TV and tuner, I have to turn the volume down >20 notches or it'll blast the volume?

This doesn't sound right to me. I haven't had this discrepancy with other receivers. My dealer is contacting Rotel to see what the issue is.

I'm also waiting for my surrounds and sub to come in, so I'll see if that makes a difference.

7. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I don't have Tvo BUT my digital cable box has a volume output adjustment for the analog outputs on the menu for the cable box. The volume on the didgial output is basically fixed.

There is very often a difference in output levels from the SOURCE between RCA and optical. I found exactly the same thing when I had my Denon 1603. Optical from the DCB was loder than RCA. Digital from DVD was louder than RCA from my DVD. This was due to the source not the receiver.

Maybe your 1055 is defective. I just happened to have the same thing happen with 2 different receivers.