volume issue help!!!!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by mike pellecchia, Dec 12, 2003.

1. mike pellecchia

mike pellecchia Auditioning

hi all newbie here! I just purchased a home theater system which consists of a atlantic techology 4.5 system and an onkyo 801 receiver. I already own a pioneer dv37 dvd player and mitsu 46 in widescreen. The problem is when you go watch a movie the volume of the receiver must be turned up to 70 for it to be at normal listening level which seems odd. ( somtimes the receiver even shuts off when the volume is loud. The system was calibrated with a radio shack sound meter. romm dimensions are 15x20. You would think at around 5o, the volume would be too loud!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    mike p

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I'm not sure what you base the "too loud" issue on. DVD is mastered about 20db lowere on RMS than CD- so the volume will be different that CD or TV programming- but i'm not sure how you could determine "too loud".

If the system is calibrated- it should be correct-- if you're running out of power to fill a room that size- it might be time to look for a bigger amplifier.

-V

3. mike pellecchia

mike pellecchia Auditioning

v,
    thanks for the insight;howver, maybe i m not clear but when i watch a movie (eg Saving private) the volume knob is at 11 o clock position wouldn't u think with that set up the volume should not have to be cranked up even when viewing tv programs u really have to turn it up Thanks

mike p