1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Volume 2 -- Wheeler and Whoolsey

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TJPC, Nov 11, 2016.

1. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I just received the new Warner Archive DVD set of Vol. 2 of the Wheeler and Woolsey movies. So far I have watched most of "The Cuckoos". The technicolor sequences are generally sharp and vivid, but some of the black and white footage is almost blurry.
    I have nothing really to complain about, and I am sure the people at WA did their best with what they had to work with. I am just curious. Are we even working with 16 mm here? You really see a huge drop in quality here that looks almost VHSafied. What happened?

Brent Reid and Bert Greene like this.
  2. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

That's probably the best that exists of "The Cuckoos.". I'm not even sure if the film was ever even included in the old syndicated Movietime batch, unlike the other RKO W&W films. We're undoubtedly lucky the film survives at all. It could have been lost like its fellow 1930 RKO production, "Leathernecking," which I also believe had Technicolor moments.

At least the "Dixiana" restoration looks stunning. I seem to recall its tv-airings used to just omit the final two reels (which were shot in Technicolor) altogether. Anyway, I just watched the two solo films, "Too Many Cooks," and "Everything's Rosie" for the first time in at least twenty years. Both awfully weak vehicles, although Woolsey drew out a few snickers from me during the fortune-telling sequence in his film, which otherwise sports some of the hoariest, wheeziest old one-liners found in a singular movie!

Eh, I don't mind. I still love all this kind of antique comedic nonsense. I can't help it.

3. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Yeah I believe looking for better elements on the cuckoos and a couple others was the reason Volume 2 was delayed for awhile