What's new

Volume 2 -- Wheeler and Whoolsey (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I just received the new Warner Archive DVD set of Vol. 2 of the Wheeler and Woolsey movies. So far I have watched most of "The Cuckoos". The technicolor sequences are generally sharp and vivid, but some of the black and white footage is almost blurry.
I have nothing really to complain about, and I am sure the people at WA did their best with what they had to work with. I am just curious. Are we even working with 16 mm here? You really see a huge drop in quality here that looks almost VHSafied. What happened?

Bert Greene

Supporting Actor
That's probably the best that exists of "The Cuckoos.". I'm not even sure if the film was ever even included in the old syndicated Movietime batch, unlike the other RKO W&W films. We're undoubtedly lucky the film survives at all. It could have been lost like its fellow 1930 RKO production, "Leathernecking," which I also believe had Technicolor moments.

At least the "Dixiana" restoration looks stunning. I seem to recall its tv-airings used to just omit the final two reels (which were shot in Technicolor) altogether. Anyway, I just watched the two solo films, "Too Many Cooks," and "Everything's Rosie" for the first time in at least twenty years. Both awfully weak vehicles, although Woolsey drew out a few snickers from me during the fortune-telling sequence in his film, which otherwise sports some of the hoariest, wheeziest old one-liners found in a singular movie!

Eh, I don't mind. I still love all this kind of antique comedic nonsense. I can't help it.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I believe looking for better elements on the cuckoos and a couple others was the reason Volume 2 was delayed for awhile

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C2evo22
Recent bookmarks