Voltage on Sub Pre Out in Standby Mode

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony AC, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Anthony AC

Anthony AC Extra

Hi People,

I have noticed that I can feel a small tingle from the sub cable when the amp is in standby mode. I measured this with a multimeter (may not be true RMS), and it was 5V AC. I have a Sherwood 6106. I take it that this is not normal. The amp appears to work well in every respect.

Would appreciate your advice please.

Thanks, Anthony.
    (Hope this is in the right forum)

2. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

First of all, I would agree that this is unlikely to be normal.

Secondly, how does it effect your sub? One would assume that a 5V AC signal driven into your sub amp will be rather nasty for both amp (It'll be clipping) and driver. Is your sub disconnected when you measure this voltage?

Also, is there any DC involved, or is it only AC? Also, does this signal go away once the receiver is out of standby mode, and not processing a signal?

Whatever your answers to the above, I suggest there is likely a fault, and suggest you first contact Sherwood and ask them about this.

3. Anthony AC

Anthony AC Extra

Thanks Jonathan.

Yes well the strange (maybe) thing is that everything appears to work well, including the sub. I can actually just measure the voltage from the sub cable alone (i.e. not plugged into the sub input). I first picked up on this from using the level and crossover knobs on the sub. They have a metal backing plate from which a tingle can be felt. The sub amp is not clipping. Not sure about when the receiver is actually on if this is still apparent. DC voltage was negligible (mV) as was DC current (uF). My meter does not measure AC current. I may have measured inaccurately, but I would sense that it is substantial as I can "feel" the sensation.