void free plywood?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by matt.r.w, Apr 3, 2004.

1. matt.r.w

matt.r.w Auditioning

Hi all,
    I've got a question regarding void free plywood and sub construction. I've built my box out of Baltic Birch ply, but unfortunatly I'm all out of BB and only have regular old birch plywood. I still need to make two braces, can I use the birch ply? I'm sure its got some voids in it. Or should I dig out some MDF and use that?
    Normally I'd just buy some more BB, but the wife has slapped down a bit of a budget. We're expecting our first any day now, so we're down to one income. I don't want to upset any apple carts by spending money needlessly.. [​IMG] I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.

Seriously though, am I okay using the birch ply? MDF? Or is there a really good reason for me to go out and buy some more bb...

Thanks for any help

Matt in Ottawa

2. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Matt,

I don't think it's a problem. From what I've seen, people seem to make braces out of just about anything, including hardwood dowels. I routinely use MDF for bracing and plywood should be fine as well.

Bob

Tempest Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Any ply is better than MDF because MDF has poor compression/expansion strength.