What's new

Voices coming from my new sub (1 Viewer)

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
I just completed my tempest sub with this amp creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SUB250RF

I have set the crossover to ~90hz. However, I can still make out voices and lyrics in the music I am playing, with only the sub playing. Is this normal? I didn't think harmonics in human voices could extend that low.

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
wont stuffing it more make it sound a bit muddier? I am playing the sub temporarily off of my computers sound card. The sub will be used for HT, so it will eventually be hooked up to a receiver. Will using the LFE crossover on the receiver help at all, by "doubling" the protection?

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
I am still learning so please don't mind my questions.

The lower end of the voices seem to be getting past the crossover. I thought that stuffing the cabinet would prevent high frequency resonance in the cabinet. I already have lined the inside with about an inch or so of polyfill. Should I stuff it full?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Normal crossovers aren't brickwall filters, they usually roll-off (attenuate) the frequencies over an octave or two depending on the slope

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
My cabinet is ported with 2 4"x15" ports. Internal volume is ~265 litres, made of 3/4 MDF, with bracing almost every 8 inches.

Suffice to say the cabinet weighs A LOT.

Also, the bass at soem points sounds somewhat muddy, and doesn't "punch" as hard as I want. Right now WinISD tells me that my group delay at 20hz is 33ms, and I know this is high. Would increasing the port length, to decrease the tuning frequency and group delay, result in tighter bass? Is this a good idea?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
How many problems are we going to solve in this thread?

Before you make any decisions as to the performance of the sub, you need to measure the in-room frequency response.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I doubt the slope is any better than 12dB/octave but even still you should not be able to hear voices....just cross it over @ 50hz and be done with it. :)

Have you not tried this??? Try it and get back to us. :D

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
I've just checked my tempest out when I saw this thread today. I'm too hear voices coming out of my tempest. I tried to turn the crossover all the way down to 40hz and still hear voices from the sub. I'm running it on the yamaha htr 5560 which as the built-in crossover at 90hz. BTW, my sub is a sealed sub with the PE 250W plate amp. I did stuffed a lil more than recommended. Any clue why I still can hear voices eventhough the plate amp crossover is as low as 40hz? Thanks!

Al,

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Yes. Crossovers are not brickwall filters. They roll-off the frequencies at a specific rate per octave. This means that there are some higher frequencies that get though.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
I have noticed on my PE 250W amp that the cross over is defeated if i use RCA inputs, but if i use my mains as inputs and then out to my mains, the cross over will have affect.

Also can't hurt to get a BFD and set your own slope as high as you want.

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
Mine too..I build 122L sealed tempest even I turned the x'over to 40hz and my receiver to 60hz I still heard voice anyway to defeat this.Also I stuffed it with plyfill into two standard size pillow.Thanks God Bless

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
Hmmm... Voices from your subwoofer. You may have over-looked the obvious. If you turn your subwoofer off can you still hear the voices? If you still hear those voices and the sub is off, it may be time to seek more complicated professional solutions. :)

All joking aside, I think it may be the crossover. But you stated you hear the voices when only the sub is playing. Does it distract you when your other speakers are playing with the sub? If you have a front firing sub you could fire the sub towards a wall.

Paul_C

Stunt Coordinator
I built a 155L Shiva with the same PE250 W plate amp and have the same problem. I replaced the sub with a PSB Subsonic 7 and didn't hear any voices. It's too bad I had to give my brother his Subsonic back.

After reading the responses to the initial question I believe Thomas is right, in that the crossover in the plate amp isn't the best one in the world, especially using the rca input. I will have to test Allan's idea of using the mains in/out to see if that is any better.

Regards,

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks