Voice of the Theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Kilbourne, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Scott Kilbourne

Dec 16, 2002
    I've got access to an Altec-Lansing Voice of the Theater that was made about 1975. It has a 15" woofer, N500 crossover and 8 section horn. don't know if it's and A7 or whatever, can't find the model number on it. Also don't know what the driver numbers are, will look for that this weekend.

Is this worth pursuing? Is there a market for these? It's too big for use as a sub in my HT, but as trade goods it might be helpful.

Anybody have any info on these? Not much that I could find on the net other than they tend to be very efficient and seem to have a cult following.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999
    I'd get them if only for their value as collectables. The A7 was not the most accurate speaker ever made, but, my goodness, I remember a time when so many theaters had a sole Altec A7 positioned behind the middle of the screen. For home-audio applications, they were an equally efficient alternative to a pair of Klipschorns. Big sound from very little power.