What's new

Voice matching...NOW I am confused! (1 Viewer)

Gary.Blevins

Agent
I understand the theory of voice/timbre matching. However, here is where I get confused:

If the general recommendation leans towards floor standing models for general music listening, how are you ever going to match the speakers to a center channel? Most decent floor standing models have at least 8" woofers/drivers, and are three way. Most center channel speakers are 2 way (though some are three way) and have 6" drivers maximum.

Won't the large difference in driver and cabinet size make the L/R's sound much fuller/deeper than the center?

I am beginning to wonder if I shouldn't just get a matched system for Theater viewing (JBL NSP1 for example), and keep my current floor standing speakers for music listening. (Using my receiver's A/B speaker switch)

Gary

Scott Sabin

Stunt Coordinator
The properties of timbre and frequency response are independent from one another (at least for the most part). The lower end of the frequency is generally dictated by the size of the largest driver as well as the enclosure design. The timbre of a given speaker is determined mainly by the design and materials of the tweeter and drivers, and to some degree, the enclosure and the grill.

Yes, most center speakers don't go as low in freq as their siblings on either side, but they can be a perfect timbre match. Some folks prefer to use identical (in materials AND size) drives in all 3 front speakers to make the soundstage as seamless as possible. For sources which re-direct the lower freqs to the sub, you shouldn't be able to notice a difference between the center and the other two speakers which is the goal. Those that listen to DVD-A and SACD prefer an identical speaker for all as an ideal to shoot for, but real world constraints force tradeoffs.

Gary.Blevins

Agent
Thanks! So as you describe it, timber/voice matching is more related to tweeter and some mid driver, than to low driver/woofer.

This makes more sense to me, and will make speaker selection easier.

Gary

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
If you have the opportunity, I like to hear what a pink-noise pan across those channels sounds like (it's on AVIA). To me it gives a quick impression of how well the center integrates with the L/R speakers.

Gary.Blevins

Agent
Hey Tyler,
I am leaning toward the JBL S310 L/R's and the S-CenterII. Haven't yet decided on the surrounds to replace my older JBL bookshelves. I have an older 15 Passive subwoofer converted to powered by a Parts Express 150W amp. I am probably going to replace the cone with a newer model.

I don't have AVIA, but do have VE. I can give you an impression of it's pink noise, as well as that of my JVC receiver. I hope to have made a decision and to have the speakers in a week or so.

Gary

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Frequency Response is easier to understand than Timbre.
FR is based on the Driver used and it's enclosure volume and
also on the crossover design.

Timbre Matching takes more into effect. Driver's, enclosure
volumes, enclosure materials, driver layout and crossover
design.

There are many Towers that use smaller drivers for the Mid's
and in this case they make Centers which are perfectly Timbre
Matched.

My mains for example (AR9's) and my Center Channel (AR4C)
Both use the same exact drivers both Midrange and Tweeter.
The same Enclosure Volumes and the same XO Networks. The
Center rolls off around 70Hz and that is more than adequate
for a center channel when set to small since anything below
that range will go to the LFE instead.

In a perfect world the best setup is 100% identical L/C/R/S
speakers. Meaning if the Mains are D'Appolito then so should
the center be.. But due to size issues and such, most of us
lay our centers over on thier sides. Guys with Front Projection
don't really have that issue as much and as such can run
a full sized main as a center channel and that really is the
best way to go if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks