Voice matching new and old Polk's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidAM, Nov 18, 2001.

1. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I currently have a pair of Polk Audio RT8's (6.5"woofer and 3/4" silk tweeter tower) and some Bose 201's for my rear surrounds. I want to replace the 201's with some matching Polk's and get a Polk center channel. The problem is that my RT8's are almost 3 years old and Polk has replaced their line with their new trilaminate tweeter and the woofers with those blue woofers (mine are black). Will this new line match up good with my older RT8's? I think I will be alright with surrounds because Polk still makes the RT1's with a 5 1/4" woofer and 3/4" silk tweeter (same woofer and tweeter as my RT8's) so I can get those for surrounds, but as far as their current line of center channel speakers, they all have the newer trilaminate tweeter. Their lowest line has my style woofer (a single 5 1/4"woofer with the trilaminate tweeter) and to get two 5 1/4" woofers on a Polk center channel (which is what I would rather), I'd have to get the newer blue woofer with the trilaminate tweeter. So, if anyone has experience with the older speakers and the new blue woofers and trilaminate tweeters, can you tell me how they sound compared to the older stuff? Would they match good with my speakers or not? Would the RT1's be good enough for surrounds? If so, I would only have to get the newer style stuff for my center channel so maybe it won't make too much of a difference? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

David, the Polk line you speak of is there new high-end line, and has not replaced the RT and CS (center) speakers. The CS175i may have the same tweeter as your's. Its not the trilaminate (RT and CS) or the new ring radiator tweeter so its most likely what you have. They aren't using the new 5 1/4" woofers with the older trrilaminate tweeters as far as I can tell.
    You might consider using your current Polks in the rear, where the voice matching isn't as critical and getting the CS245i or higher for the center, and one of the other newer RT series for the front.

3. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Well I'm not sure what new line you're talking about, but I do know the current RT**i line have the blue woofers with the trilaminate tweeter. Now, on some of the cheapest models they have the black woofer with the silk dome tweeter. That is the combo my RT8's have. I can get the R10's which use the same woofer and tweeter I have for my rear surrounds, but as far as a center channel, only the CS175i uses the silk dome tweeter and I'm guessing the new blue woofer because it says in this magazine that it uses the same 5 1/4" woofer as the CS245i, but just one woofer instead of 2. So the CS175i will use the same tweeter as my RT8's, but I'm not sure about the woofer. Tell me this, how much of a difference is there between a center channel with one 5 1/4" woofer compared to a center channel using two 5 1/4" woofers? To get 2 woofers I have to step up to the CS245i and that model uses the trilaminate tweeter instead of the silk dome I'm looking for. And is there a big sound difference between the current line and the previous line?

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

David: I can feel your pain! Just last week I pondered what current Polk speakers would match my 20 year old Polk RTA-12C speakers. They are still in excellent shape and I considered pulling them out of mothballs and using them for my kid's rec movie room setup. For a few days, I searched Ebay and Audiogon and then gave up. Instead, I ended up just buying the JBL NSP-1 speaker setup for only $299. Although they probably won't sound as good as the old Polk towers, they are much less fragile and I doubt that my kids will even notice... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

5. Royce H

Royce H Stunt Coordinator

If I were in your shoes, the first thing I'd do is check Polk's website. They have online guides to help you pick voice-matched surround and center speakers for older Polk models. Hope this helps!

6. JoeDelan

JoeDelan Stunt Coordinator

I cant answer your questions BUT on the Polk site they will.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/
    The People of Polk respond to all questions asked of them on the Board. Check them out. Ask em a question and I am sure you will get a reply...

7. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Great...thanks for the tip. I'll check on the Polk site and see what I can find. Thanks.

8. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I took a look at their website and now I see what you mean about blue woofers. I think, but I'm not certain, that this is a recent change. I could have sworn those were black not too long ago. I don't think you have to worry about the woofers causing matching problems as much as you do about the tweeters.

I'd highly recommend looking into getting a higher end center and working around that, if your budget permits. The center is one of the most important speakers you'll have, and probably the most important for movies. Plus if you start getting into multi-channel audio (SACD or DVD-A) you'll want a good center. Even if its not a perfect match, long term you'll be happier.