Voice conf across the net, like Instant Message?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Vince Maskeeper, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Wondering what the best/most popular software to run conversations across the net? Would like to avoid long distance bills, ans should have plenty of bandwidth on Cable Modem for voice quality send/receive--- i'm looking for something that works well and is free.

-Vince

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Vince,

This isn't quite what you're looking for but it may be a good alternative:

Some phone companies, in order to compete with cellular service, have plans that offer UNLIMITED unmetered long distance.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I've got some friends in the Bahamas that have some sort of phone that connects to your computer that allows you to make free long distance calls at near "regular phone" quality. I can't remember the name of it, but it seems like the only cost was the phone itself.
    I've emailed him to get the name of it. If he gets back with me I'll let you know.

The couple of times he called me on it, I couldn't tell he wasn't calling normally. The quality was that good.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

BAck in the day there were a handful of services that did phone calls over the web -- which was okay- but I'm even looking for one step simpler-- no real phone line involved- strictly peer to peer voice transaction.

I assume thhat since they make video conf software (and apple is trying to make it mainstream with Ichat)-- that someone has a decent voice conf software that routes across the web.

I know there are free LD services, but I'm looking to nearly eliminate my home phone service, not increase the cost, lol. If all else fails, i'll got that route- but I wouldn't mind finding something else.

-Vince

5. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Try Vonage for voice-over-IP

Your local cable company may also do voice-over-IP.
    Ours just introduced it and it sounds interesting but I'll wait until it's got the bugs worked out. I've read some negative feedback on broadbandreports.com about folks in my area who have it.

I believe you may need a router and the your phone either plugs into the router with some sort of adapter or they give you a special phone. Yes you will have unlimited mintues and not need a local or long distance service. The cons are that you'll more than likely have to change your phone number and if cable is out so is your phone service. I guess you can always use a cell phone in an emergency situation.

6. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Vince-

Try Ventrilo, found here .
    I know people that use it for online gaming also.

--
    jay

7. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I have been using Microsoft GameVoice for a couple years now. The app is free, great sound quality.

www.gamevoice.com

8. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

You could just use Yahoo Messenger or MSN Messenger, both of which have voice capability. If you are using it for 1 on 1 talking, it's pretty good. I'm not sure how stable it might be once you expand into conferencing with multiple users, though. If everyone involved has Cable, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Bruce