What's new

vodka and iced tea (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I need the name of this drink. I can't remember what they called it, and i'm hoping it's not a local name and lots of people know about it.
Anyone? vodka and iced tea?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Are you confusing it with Long Island Iced Tea? That's a mix of vodka, rum (Bacardi type rather than the dark stuff), gin, tequila, lemon and coke.

There are various iced tea and vodka cocktails, but I don't think there's a name for them that has reached widespread currency. Very happy to be corrected on this.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
damn, I was afraid of that. Ya, it definately wasn't a long island. I guess I'll just have to look like an idiot and ask someone.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Found something that sounds interesting/good:

Dignified Iced Tea recipe

Ingredients
Scale ingredients to servings

3 ice cubes
2 oz Absolut® Citron vodka
4 oz iced tea

Method
Use absolut citron or other citrus flavored vodka. Mix in highball glass and enjoy.

source

On a side note last night I tried Malibu Rum & Orange/Strawberry/Banana juice. Good stuff.
Can't taste the alcohol which could be a bad thing after about 3-4 large glasses.

I'm not much of a drinker & needless to say I was pretty lit. :)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Of course, the "Long Island Iced Tea" was originally known simply as an "Iced Tea" in the New York Metro area bars where it originated, and it still may be for all I know. I never heard it referred to as a "Long Island Iced Tea" except by out-of-towners or on trips to other cities in the whole time I lived there. Maybe you were served an "Iced tea" by a bartender from New York. :)

Regards,

Joe

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Long Island Iced Teas, I've always been of the opinion that the cocktail should actually taste like Iced Tea, but with a little kick. If it doesn't, it's simply badly mixed. But various acquaintances have told me that my expectations of verisimilitude are misplaced. Are they?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Was "long island iced tea" a pseudonym given during Prohibition, so the person ordering could claim that he didn't intend to order booze?

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Properly mixed (with quality ingredients), it should taste very close to ice tea with lemon. If you use low quality Gin or white tequila, (i.e. - typical rail liquors), the taste can go downhill quick.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

You're confusing the Prohibition practice of actually serving whiskey in tea cups, and the customers ordering it as "tea", with a modern drink named for its resemblance to a glass of cold, sweet tea with lemon.

Speakeasy's didn't serve real tea, so there would have been no reason to append "Long Island" to "tea" at that point.

In any case, the drink described above, originally called simply "Iced Tea" (another blow to the Prohibition theory) was only invented in the 70s or 80s, and didn't pick up the "Long Island" until a few years later when bars outside the New York metro area learned the recipe and started serving it.

And a properly made "Iced Tea" does indeed taste like sweet tea with lemon. If the one's you're drnking don't, you're the victim of a bad bartender. (Lots of regional foods/drinks suffer this kind of problem. I've never had a "buffalo style" chicken wing that came close to tasting like the actual dish as served in Buffalo.)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks